Coast starlight from SF to LA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nishmit

I want to take the Coast starlight from SF to LA sometime early December. I've heard that it is notorious for being late, but also that the trip is very scenic. Does anyone know how late it is usually, and by what time at night one can expect to reach LA? Also what are the most scenic stretches from SF to LA? I'm asking because if its so late that I don't get many daytime hours in the train, then it may not be worth my while to take it.

You won't see much except for between San Luis Obispo and Oxnard. In my opinion, the best sights on the Starlate are between North California and Central Oregon.

My best part of that trip is between south of Santa Barbara and Ventura where you can see the ocean.

You can check on Coast Starlight schedule. That file requires Acrobat Reader to open it. You can see the time schedule for your part of the trip. Adds about 4 1/2 hours late which it is the average arrival time into LA Union Station.

I would recommend for you to take from LA Union Station to SF.

Yea, the average for #11 into LAUPT now is right around 3 hours. This is a HUGE improvement from about 3 months ago, when the average was up near 5 1/2 hours. I would say add 4 to be safe and you should be ok. #14 north has been a lot better, averaging about an hour up through SAC.

gswager said:
MontanaJim said:
trouble is, it will be dark when you go by the ocean.
Unless you have a perfect timing to watch the sun going down into the ocean.
Or you get lucky like I did :D , but then again unless you have a sleeper 10 hours late isnt a walk in the park for everyone :p

At that time of the year, there is also a serious dependency on the weather. Snow in the mountains can cause issues, as the tracks are rarely prepared in advance (clearing snow and freeing switches, if necessary).

Get a sleeper. The wine tasting takes the edge off of any problems....

Does it run late going just south or is it north too??? I want to take it is part of a trip with the Empire Builder in the summer but the thought of it getting in late in LA doesn't please me. Especially went it already comes in at 9 PM.

65Imperial said:
Does it run late going just south or is it north too??? I want to take it is part of a trip with the Empire Builder in the summer but the thought of it getting in late in LA doesn't please me. Especially went it already comes in at 9 PM.
Unfortunately, the Coast Starlight runs on tracks owned by Union Pacific Railroad (UP). UP has had significant trouble running things on time in recent years, often going from one service meltdown to another. This is obvious with their handling of Amtrak trains, but their freight trains are affected by their corporate incompetence as well.

The Coast Starlight has had significant troble staying on time due to Union Pacific freight congestion. It is basically guaranteed to run late, by several hours, in each direction. Southbound, you will get to LA very late (you'd be lucky to get in by midnight). Northbound, you have a decent chance of being on time leaving LA (depending on how late the train arrived the night before), but that congestion, combined with slow orders (I don't know if they ever fully recovered from the mudslides a year ago) will set the train back quite a bit. Northbound, Amtrak no longer even guarantees the connection between northbound train 14 and eastbound train 28 (the Empire Builder) at Portland. Instead, they have a bus connection between the two, which takes a shortcut and bypasses Portland completely. This bus ride can be pretty long (though it isn't really as long as the schedule would indicate).

Might I ask exactly what your travel plans are (where from/to), and the purpose of the trip (i.e. to see the scenery, or to specifically go to LA for a particular reason)? It may be possible to find alternate routes depending on your travel flexibility.

A couple of years ago, I took the Starlight from L.A. to Chico, CA. Going up was about on time. But, coming back down, the train was 4 hours late. Apparently, some person went a little crazy on the train outside of Portland, and the conductor had to call the cops. This, of course, slowed things down a lot. By the time the train got into Chico, it was 4 hours late, and then with all the stops and stuff, got into L.A. about 2:00 A.M. I was not pleased, but Amtrak paid for a cab to take me home.

I'm considering taking the train again to Sacramento this next year, (Jan or Feb). This time, I think I'll get a sleeper. So, if we're late, I can comfortably sleep.

Might I ask exactly what your travel plans are (where from/to), and the purpose of the trip (i.e. to see the scenery, or to specifically go to LA for a particular reason)? It may be possible to find alternate routes depending on your travel flexibility

I'm traveling from Chicago. I went to LA via the Chief last summer and would like to do another trip. I would like to see some sights on the train and spend a few days in seattle and then take the Empire builder back to Chicago. I was also looking at taking the EB to seattle then the Coast Starlight down to LA. I would fly back to Chicago as I don't have enough vaca time to do the whole thing via the train. And it's cheaper then a round-trip on the EB.

Back