Coast Starlight EUG-SAC OTP?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heading to D.C. via the Zephyr so I need to head down to SAC and catch it there. Unfortunately there are no published routes to WAS that include this EUG-SAC leg so I'll need to book them separately, which means I'm not guaranteed any help or compensation should the first leg come in late and miss my connection. (Even if they manually "combine" the tickets after purchasing.) (So what good does "manually" combining tickets do?) (But I digress.) Just wondering what the OTP is for this Starlight EUG-SAC route is and if there's reason to be concerned here. Looks like the schedule shows I'll have around 5 hours to play with, but knowing I could lose a lot of points and miss out on my entire trip if I do miss that connection, I think that first leg wouldn't be a very relaxing start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for this! It looks like there's not a big chance I'd miss the connection. Guess it's obvious though that there's always going to be a "chance" any train will be late, but knowing there's at least a smaller one makes it a little better. Sort of. If it does turn out to be the rare exception, then I'll be on the train that will have a 100% chance of being late. Whatever the opposite of a lottery winner is, I'm usually that person.

EUG to CHI gives you the CZ as a choice. If you want to guarantee the connection in CHI, you could book EUG to somewhere along the CZ route and then from that city to WAS.

EDIT: If you're booking a room, you may need to call after booking the two to see if you can get keep the same room. If you do, don't let them try to upcharge you for the switch.

Or you can call Amtrak and see if an agent can book EUG-WAS for you.

Sometimes "legal" city pairs don't make it into the computer system so if you let them know, they should be able to get them into the system for future bookings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternatively, you can go to https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/search.phpthen click on "search connecting trains" to find out the stats of how many times there were missed connections. Based on the data from last month, it seems like that there were no misconnects between 11 and 6.

Back