Coast Starlight 11 STRANDED 7/15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your travail, neciebugs. Impressive that you kept your spirits up throughout. Hope the remainder of the trip went smoothly.

Train crew AWESOME. Ground crew???

I had no reason to consider writing a letter of complaint. But the way the bus crew treated pax is unacceptable and I will be lodging a serious complaint.

Can't wait to hear more when you're rested.

Small consolation now, but hard luck trips like this one are exceedingly rare, and trains are one of the safest modes do trans port action out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will add, I gave our SCA a nice tip. I said she probably didn't get too many today. I told her she was amazing and thanked her for her calm optimism and gentle nature. Sadly, no one else had tipped her.

My kids were unaccompanied minors on yesterday's 11, for their first solo train ride. They got in to their destination 5 1/2 hours late and after midnight, sleepy but in good spirits.

Necie, sorry you had this situation on your trip. Incidents like this are rare, but it is very frustrating because its beyond our control. I am glad to hear that the train crew was good, the best thing you can do in a situation like this is just try to go to sleep in the sleeper. Looking forward to reading your full trip report. Sorry again to hear about the delay. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

As you can imagine, I was a worried parent last night, and but for getting my kids' texts, I would have been completely out of the loop. I would have thought that Amtrak would have called me at least once, as a courtesy, to let me know of a 5 1/2 hour delay. What is the point of all the paperwork for unaccompanied minors if I'm not being informed of anything?

Remember the buses are operated by contractors, not Amtrak. Just be sure if a complaint is lodged you place as much detail as possible. Also, to assure the bus contract operator is aware as well you can forward a copy to them as well.

Yikes! Sounds like you have the right attitude.Let us know what's going on when you get a chance.

I haven't had this kind of trip yet but, I'm sure, it will happen when I take the big one (6 nights) with my - not so train loving - husband this fall.

Take care and thanks for the updates. :)
I find very sad, but also very TRUE, that one has to "prepare themselves mentally" to have a "......good attitude" while traveling on our national railroad.....

I have many, many, times "downgraded" my friends anticipation of their first experience on Amtrak, only to find that EVEN THEN, they are often disappointed.

Superior service isn't difficult, heck, it's not even costly, it just has to emanate from the top down, that's the crux of the issue, that, and unions, and changing top leadership every few years. Don't get me wrong, Boardman's done well with what he's been given, but we really need another Claytor.

I will add, I gave our SCA a nice tip. I said she probably didn't get too many today. I told her she was amazing and thanked her for her calm optimism and gentle nature. Sadly, no one else had tipped her.
So sorry Denise to learn about your return trip home. I was not aware of this until you mentioned on your "ball cap" thread of this incident. Wish I had purchased a cap on our trip to send you mine. I am happy you and your family are back home safe and sound.

In regard to your upbeat SCA it sounds like you might have had Toni. I have had her previously in the car adjacent to the transdorm and she was pleasant as they come.

In regard to your upbeat SCA it sounds like you might have had Toni. I have had her previously in the car adjacent to the transdorm and she was pleasant as they come.
Agreed about Toni! The one time I traveled with her she was always right there from the beginning and even wandered into the PPC from time to time to check on any of her herd who may have strayed there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back