Coast Starlight 11 STRANDED 7/15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neciebugs

Train Attendant
We had an accident (minor) in Salinas. After an hour and a half delay, we were cleared by CHP and Amtrak. Just south of San Luis Obispo, we lost power. A private car at the end uncoupled. And the number two engine has failed (because of the earlier collision). So, here we sit!! Updates to follow.

We are in good spirits. When we boarded yesterday in Seattle our trans dorm became adjoining deluxe sleepers, so we are fairly comfortable. Coach is getting squirrly. Toilets don't work. No electricity.

Apparently the uncoupled private dome car is recoupled. They just announced they are running some tests. Hopefully engine one can pull us to the next station. It is HOT in here.

Definitely an adventure.

They are handing out emergency snack packs in coach. Our dinner reservation was at 5:45, but obviously that was postponed.

Yikes! Sounds like you have the right attitude.

Let us know what's going on when you get a chance.

I haven't had this kind of trip yet but, I'm sure, it will happen when I take the big one (6 nights) with my - not so train loving - husband this fall.

Take care and thanks for the updates. :)

More info on TO here:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3128798

Pick-up rammed the side of the train between #2 unit and baggage car causing coupler, brake,and cable damage. They finally got moving with only one unit, then hit a fallen dead tree across the tracks, apparently well rotted but it did cause some further damage. Not pretty and not even close to over yet.

Electricity is up. Now down. They are running a few more tests. I hope things progress quickly. How does Amtrak handle missed connections?

Phil, thanks for the link. I had forgotten about the tree.

We are moving, slowly.

Assuming it is a guaranteed connection, depending on the length of delay, Amtrak will either hold the connecting bus (and sometimes train), arrange alternate transportation to the destination (or to catch up with the missed connection), or place a passenger into a lodging accommodation with a meal allowance and transportation on the next train out (usually the next day).

On the Southbound Coast Starlight I know when we were delayed due to a fatality involving train 14 in Santa Barbara the people who had to connect to the Sunset Limited were off-loaded in Goleta (non-scheduled stop) and placed into Taxi's to LA to make the connection. Many people going nearby (including myself) were also allowed to get off in Goleta and end our journey there (and have the people meeting us pick us up there or what not). The southbound Surfliner connection at LAX to San Diego was held for train 14.

That delay was quite substantial (train 14 was delayed about 6 hours, train 11 about 1.5 hours, and Surfliner trains were involved in the back-up as well. The northbound Surfliner was attached to the rear of train 14 and the southbound Surfliners were coupled together to operate as one train.)

All and all if you are moving now, depending on your train speed, there is recovery time built into the schedule as well between SBA and LAX. It won't make your train close to on-time but it will help a little bit (up to an hour at most).

Good luck with your journey! It's foggy here in the Bay Area but hopefully there will be some time left to see the sun set as you journey along the coast. If not you'll see the lights from the oil rigs out in the Ocean. It's still a nice ride though. :)

Our southbound Surfliner connection departs at 10ish. So we shall see if the surfliner is behind us to the north, then we should be fine. Definitely a pretty ride. Going slow, stop, slow... I believe we are on one engine.

The driver of the pickup was fine. However, could have easily been a darwin award

The connecting train, train 796 actually originates in Goleta (about 10 minutes north of Santa Barbara) around 6:45pm and is due to arrive into LAX at 9:45pm. As of 9:00pm it is currently scheduled to be approaching Simi Valley. The last confirmed departure was on time at Oxnard at 7:50pm.

They could hold the train, however your estimated arrival into LAX is currently around 12:30am. They might opt for an alternate connection by off-loading passengers earlier or providing alternate transportation from LAX to points south as well.

Unfortunately, today was just a series of unfortunate events but I do hope you are still enjoying your trip and that the crew has hopefully made the best of it in terms of still providing a pleasant (as possible given the circumstances) experience.

Wow! First train trip too. Well technically not the first but maybe the second! I'll be interested to hear about the rest of your journey!!

We are in good spirits. When we boarded yesterday in Seattle our trans dorm became adjoining deluxe sleepers, so we are fairly comfortable. Coach is getting squirrly. Toilets don't work. No electricity. Apparently the uncoupled private dome car is recoupled. They just announced they are running some tests. Hopefully engine one can pull us to the next station. It is HOT in here. Definitely an adventure. They are handing out emergency snack packs in coach. Our dinner reservation was at 5:45, but obviously that was postponed.
Toilet and food problems were due to damage to the electrical cable feeding the cars, hopefully resolved now that the train is running. It departed SLO down 1:45 but is overdue into SBA. At least it's still daylight for this, the most beautiful part of the trip.

If it's more than an hour, they would probably get the buses out. Luckily there is not a connection to the Sunset tonight.

No. 11 due into Santa Barbara at 10:30 p.m. PDT and LA at 12:39 am PDT

No way the Surfliner will be held for 2 1/2 hours. There is a scheduled Ambus to San Diego at 2:30 a.m. arriving at 5:15 a.m. Have a suspicion there will be more than one motor coach running that route early Tuesday. The good news? The Interstate 5 is usually not crowded at that hour...tho you never know for that freeway. Do know that there are no scheduled maintenance closures for the lanes.

This is the return portion of our round trip. Not to thrilled about Amtrak at the moment, however earlier I was contemplating SD to New Orleans. We left Golleta a bit ago. We were there for nearly an hour for inspection/maintenance. At this point I would rather have a hotel and catch a train tomorrow. I'm exhausted and haven't slept in nearly 48 hours. So a bit testy. I will definitely write a full review when my head is clear. We are where the transdorm should be... When I think of the truck hitting the train a second or two later... Never mind I don't want to think. Just happy we are safe.

We are in good spirits. When we boarded yesterday in Seattle our trans dorm became adjoining deluxe sleepers, so we are fairly comfortable. Coach is getting squirrly. Toilets don't work. No electricity. Apparently the uncoupled private dome car is recoupled. They just announced they are running some tests. Hopefully engine one can pull us to the next station. It is HOT in here. Definitely an adventure. They are handing out emergency snack packs in coach. Our dinner reservation was at 5:45, but obviously that was postponed.
Toilet and food problems were due to damage to the electrical cable feeding the cars, hopefully resolved now that the train is running. It departed SLO down 1:45 but is overdue into SBA. At least it's still daylight for this, the most beautiful part of the trip.
It gets dark much earlier than OR. By the time we had a good view of the coast it was too dark. The moon on the ocean was pretty!

Still no indication of having departed SBA,

Good luck, Amtrak does try to take care of its customers, especially sleeper pax. Keep us posted, please.

They had to change crew. Our crew was out of commission hour wise. We have been sitting here for way too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back