Coast Starlight 11 Accident (3/12/12)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that they were so late, it wasn't worth the effort to bring an engine down from Oakland and do the ballet to get it on the front.

PPC probably had a condemnable flat spot on one or more wheels, due to the wheel(s) locking up under the emergency braking

Here is an excellent video on YouTube showing the scene:

There is nothing obviously wrong with the PPC and the windshield of the lead engine looks fine.

The reason I posted the quote from the Gilroy Patch is that from my own first-hand experience with the Amtrak/MARC accident of 2/17/1996, and the subsequent 'media circus' that followed, I believe eyewitness accounts are often more accurate (but that is not to say wholly reliable) than what is reported in the news media.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing obviously wrong with the PPC and the windshield of the lead engine looks fine.
The reason I posted the quote from the Gilroy Patch is that from my own first-hand experience with the Amtrak/MARC accident of 2/17/1996, and the subsequent 'media circus' that followed, I believe eyewitness accounts are often more accurate (but that is not to say wholly reliable) than what is reported in the news media.
Yes, you are right about eyewitness versus media. In fact, have you ever been part of or a witness to a situation that was reported in the media and found the media report to be accurate or anywhere close to accurate?

Exactly about the front end view showing the windshield to be OK. However, the broken headlight renders the unit unservicable as a lead unit. Don't know about the step, but it may also.

Great you-tube video, a bit fast on the cuts, but using a tripod makes it a winner.

Lead engine had a truck frame twisted around the snow plow. Drop it in a sliding, into someone can inspection it, and do any field repairs before moving was the right call. You need a bit of force to bend a frame like that.

I like what guest thought on the PCC car, but that a guess, hope it's true. Not cheap 8 new wheels but not a "scrap it where it is".

Last edited by a moderator:
I've since confirmed that it was just one wheel set, and that UP and Amtrak Oakland Mechanical changed it out today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back