Coast Starlight 1/30/09

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, many have argued against Amtrak marketing itself as a vacation destination. Amtrak is a publicly-chartered company whose mission is to provide essential transportation services to all people, not to be a government-subsidized cruise line.
So when I went from from San Francisco to New York via LA last April I was doing a bad thing? I didn't have to use the train, but I did and didn't think my dollars were different to anyone elses.

Amtrak needs to make sure its trains run on time and the advertised facilities are on the train and work well. Does it matter if the passenger is on a leisurely amble round the country or a business man on a time critical journey? Swiss railways manage to provide essential transportation and be a tourist draw. Passengers=cash.

Also, many have argued against Amtrak marketing itself as a vacation destination. Amtrak is a publicly-chartered company whose mission is to provide essential transportation services to all people, not to be a government-subsidized cruise line.
So when I went from from San Francisco to New York via LA last April I was doing a bad thing? I didn't have to use the train, but I did and didn't think my dollars were different to anyone elses.

Amtrak needs to make sure its trains run on time and the advertised facilities are on the train and work well. Does it matter if the passenger is on a leisurely amble round the country or a business man on a time critical journey? Swiss railways manage to provide essential transportation and be a tourist draw. Passengers=cash.
Sorry, no, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I was just saying that some people have argued that. I'm not sure I agree with that argument either, but that argument has been made. (I realize my original post wasn't clear and made it sound like I was making that argument.)

In any case, I don't think anyone would argue against people using Amtrak because they enjoy train travel and choose to make the journey part of the vacation. The question is whether Amtrak should market itself as a land cruise, given that it is a public company--and a government-subsidized one at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, I don't think anyone would argue that people using Amtrak because they enjoy train travel and choose to make the journey part of the vacation. The question is whether Amtrak should market itself as a land cruise, given that it is a public company--and a government-subsidized one at that.
So how exactly would Amtrak market trains taking 50+ hours to get from Chicago to the West Coast? Certainly not on speed or regularity of service. As much as those trains provide transport between all the little stations en route, its people doing the whole trip that would be the major part of the revenue stream for that train. Using the leisurely aspect of the LD trains and the fact you get to travel through some spectacular scenery seems the only way to market those trains.

After all, how exactly you market the trains and where the passengers come from is of little consequence. What you need is passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
In any case, I don't think anyone would argue that people using Amtrak because they enjoy train travel and choose to make the journey part of the vacation. The question is whether Amtrak should market itself as a land cruise, given that it is a public company--and a government-subsidized one at that.
So how exactly would Amtrak market trains taking 50+ hours to get from Chicago to the West Coast? Certainly not on speed or regularity of service. As much as those trains provide transport between all the little stations en route, its people doing the whole trip that would be the major part of the revenue stream for that train. Using the leisurely aspect of the LD trains and the fact you get to travel through some spectacular scenery seems the only way to market those trains.

After all, how exactly you market the trains and where the passengers come from is of little consequence. What you need is passengers.
I read your response at least 3 times to make sure I understood exactly what you're saying. Now that I think that I do understand, I have to say that I agree with you 100%! (And they said it couldn't be done) :)

In the current Amtrak Mission Statement that I previously quoted, it states that Amtrak is to provide it's service in an "efficient and effective" manner. IMHO, I fail to see how being government-subsidized has anything to do with marketing statigies given the mission mandate or how it lends itself to argue that a "land cruise" focus should not be done. I also think that it would be near impossible to be able to demonstrate that Amtrak's marketing itself as a "land cruise" does not meet the mandate of that statement!

I have to agree.

I never heard or saw an Amtrak advertisement saying something like "Get from coast to coast in 4 days", but I do remember the ads saying "See America at SEE level!" I would take that as not promoting getting there within a few hours!

I read your response at least 3 times to make sure I understood exactly what you're saying. Now that I think that I do understand, I have to say that I agree with you 100%! (And they said it couldn't be done) :)
I didn't think it was that complicated!

Seeing as Amtrak run these LD trains then surely it has to pursue all chances of revenue.

Surely you want to fill your most expensive accommodation as much as possible, otherwise why bother having sleepers anyway?

I didn't think it was that complicated!

Seeing as Amtrak run these LD trains then surely it has to pursue all chances of revenue.

Surely you want to fill your most expensive accommodation as much as possible, otherwise why bother having sleepers anyway?
Until I read your response above, I never realized that my statement about "reading your response at least 3 times" could be interpeted as a statement on your writing rather than on a checking of my own comprehension before expressing that I agreed with you. Even then it took a few minutes to sink in after I read it. I assure you that I never intended for it to be a statement on your writing and apologize for any misunderstanding! :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back