coach vs roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mkeroad

I know this has been discussed many times but I have finally been able to compare. I boarded the Cal Zepher in CHI after the EB avalanche 3 weeks ago. All the people heading west on the EB were rerouted on my train and this created almost standing roam only This being my first LD ride I wanted to experience both modes of travel, coach and 1st class. I had coach until DEN and then had upgraded. The coach bathrooms were filthier than any back woods gas station within 2 hours and continued to get worse for 2 days. I called this the homeless shelter on wheels as there were people that boarded very smelly.

I immediately upgraded the rest of my trip. I still rode in the observation cars every day and met many great people from all areas of the train, but, I had a place to find peace and privacy when needed.

I rode coach (Cardinal) last October for the first time and I found it to be a pleasant trip. Bathrooms were clean, people were....people. Didn't notice anything disgusting the whole trip.

The coach bathrooms were filthier than any back woods gas station within 2 hours and continued to get worse for 2 days.
I agree with your observations. That's what I find all too often on LD trains.

This is why I am dumbfounded that most people here, actually like the common use bathrooms.

I also had a similar experience. 3 years ago a last minute trip had me in coach on the Silver Service from NYP to Florida. By the next morning the bathrooms were unusable. It was impossible to even brush your teeth without gagging on the smell and tripping over the filth. My wife was not happy. That would have ended our Amtrak use for good, if not for a prior trip on the AT in a bedroom. We have always had a sleeper since then but that trip still lives fresh in my wife's mind. If a sleeper is too expensive or not available we take alternate transportation rather then take coach overnight.

I would assume a lot of repeat riders have been lost to events like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the joys of riding in steerage class. Might as well ride the 'hound.

There are plenty of "non-smelly people" riding in coach and there are coach attendants who work at keeping the restrooms clean. But unfortunately, there are just enough "smelly" ones who can ruin the coach experience for the majority who ride.

But we always try to get a roomette or bedroom when traveling long distances.

I complained to two different shift conductors and they both gave the same response, that, an attendant had been released because of budget cuts. Well I know that was a low seniority person and the remaining attendants refused to bow or were just too busy to fill in. Without 1st class I would have much rather been on the hound. The train was stuffed.

After 2 weeks I returned home and would consider all future travel w/Amtrak as I no longer am ruled by time, schedule or price.

I'm a member here. Why am I back to assembling watches and tires to post?

I agree the bathroom issue is probably the worst part of riding coach. It seems many people treat common areas as if it is someone else's problem. If that attitude exists among the majority there is no way 1 attendant can keep up with up to 144 passengers. (Amfleet I x 2cars ).

Strangely my worst Amtrak bathroom experience happened in sleeper class on the EB last year. For whatever reason, the tanks on our car filled up. The conductor's answer was to simply close the bathrooms in our car for the remainder of our trip. Fortunately we were delayed waiting for the oncoming train crew and our SCA was instrumental in getting approval for the "sewer sucker" truck to come to the station and pump us out. Good Job. And this was near midnight too.

Another example of the inexcusable short-sighted management that infests Amtrak as well as much of American business. Cutting staff on trains packed to the bulkheads will soon enough result in a lot of empty trains, but so long as they make this quarter's numbers, who cares?

I really hate that selfish attitude I hear sometimes - "Someone else is getting paid to clean this up." Well, maybe so, but that doesn't give you the right to be a pig. Sometimes I shudder when I think about what their houses must look like.

Sometimes I shudder when I think about what their houses must look like.
I think that is the worst part, Sarah. I'm willing to bet that most times their own home doesn't look like that. They wouldn't allow it. But if it is someone else's problem, then it must be all right.

I travel strictly by coach. Oh surprise, surprise. I have seen both ends of the gammet when it comes to bathrooms. I have seen more on the cleaner end of things than the bad end. The floor is almost always a mess because I have a feeling aiming while a train is moving is not something that should be done. It really depends as has been said with the attendant.

I travel strictly by coach. Oh surprise, surprise. I have seen both ends of the gammet when it comes to bathrooms. I have seen more on the cleaner end of things than the bad end. The floor is almost always a mess because I have a feeling aiming while a train is moving is not something that should be done. It really depends as has been said with the attendant.
That, and those faucets spray everywhere. I try so hard to push as gently as possible, but when the water hits my palm, it goes all over. I try to wipe down the sink area after I finish washing my hands, though.

I like the sleeper bathrooms because the faucet is different and it doesn't have quite as much pressure. It's more like a regular sink.

Sometimes I shudder when I think about what their houses must look like.
I think that is the worst part, Sarah. I'm willing to bet that most times their own home doesn't look like that. They wouldn't allow it. But if it is someone else's problem, then it must be all right.
I know. That definitely makes it worse. Stop being a pig. :p (Not you)

Thanks Alice I'm back in.

There was a lady that felt as I did and was going to write letters. She tried to get a roomette and the conductor told her if she bought this from him it would be the most expensive so she called 800-usa-rail. The room was still out of her comfort zone and she stayed in coach. I agree that the moving train does have an effect on aim and water on the floor, but, I know these bathrooms were never cleaned for 44 hours.

This was on the California Zephyr leaving CHI on 3/4/14. Maybe someone will visit this and care about future pax that pay their salaries.

Any public toilets will get smelly and uninviting after a few hours if they are not serviced. It is not always the fault of us coach passengers.

There are many posts about sleeping car attendants who disappear for most of the trip, the problem lies with unwilling coach attendants as much as with any passenger. People need toilets, toilets get nasty, it's not rocket science to imagine a solution...

If toilets were given a 2 minute clean every few hours, the situation could be much improved.

Ed :cool:

That, and those faucets spray everywhere. I try so hard to push as gently as possible, but when the water hits my palm, it goes all over. I try to wipe down the sink area after I finish washing my hands, though.
Most of the bathrooms i've used has been pretty clean.

And if it's somewhat messy, I will go out of my way to clean it up.. I am sure if it is really bad, I will tell someone about it.

I had mentioned that there was an attendant let go for budget cuts on a full train and I believe no one was told to fill in the void for 2 days.

This had nothing to do with anyone but management and people that feel overworked and maybe need a break from the public

Maybe an attendant had been "let go" (from that specific train), but I doubt he or she was the only on on the train. There are 1-3 more coach attendants on each LD train.

If toilets were given a 2 minute clean every few hours, the situation could be much improved.
And if each passenger using them takes 2 seconds to wipe up the spilled water from and around sink with the paper towel in their hand that they're going to put in the garbage bag anyway, that 2 minute clean every few hours may be delayed to every 5-10 hours!

Not throwing paper towels all over is good too. I hate when they're left on the sink or falling onto the floor.

Sometimes, the garbage can looks like it's overflowing, but it really just needs to be pushed down. I use the paper towel I'm holding to push the paper towels way down in the bin and then toss my paper towel in the bin. If I feel icked-out, I can always wash my hands again.

In my experience, this gets worse farther along the routes. To me, that means an attendant may not be even doing a clean every 5 to 10 hours.

Big exception: Once, on the Eagle to SAS, the coach attendant went to clean the rest rooms every couple of hours, and they were fresh smelling and clean, she also vacuumed the car at stops, doing the front end of the car at McGregor, and the rear end at Temple. I was impressed!

Not throwing paper towels all over is good too. I hate when they're left on the sink or falling onto the floor.

Sometimes, the garbage can looks like it's overflowing, but it really just needs to be pushed down. I use the paper towel I'm holding to push the paper towels way down in the bin and then toss my paper towel in the bin. If I feel icked-out, I can always wash my hands again.
I do that at work and other public restrooms, too.

I'm not sure it's just about people not cleaning up after themselves. Sure, most of us clean our bathrooms at home, but ... "incidents" seem to happen in public restrooms that just don't happen at home. I wonder how much of this could be from language barriers, or people unfamiliar with American / Amtrak plumbing. It's possible that clearer signage would be a cheap and effective way to prevent some of the problems from happening in the first place.

"That, and those faucets spray everywhere."

I tend to carry alcohol wipes - but when brushing teeth sometimes use the faucet if I forget bottled water. The spray issue is a problem in every bathroom I have used - coach class or sleeper car - long distance or regional.

I must have been lucky I have never come across the smelly coach class. I have seen some scary passengers - some that look in need of a shower - but can't think of a time where someone was offensive odor wise. When in coach long distance - which is rare anymore - I would always have toothbrush, toothpaste and deodorant for use. Not really sure why most passengers wouldn't have similar items with them. Even so on a long day and 1/2 to 2 day trip - clean teeth and armpit protection still doesn''t seem make me feel completely freshened up. That sleeper shower makes a big difference.

I have seen both aspects of bathrooms - some really kept up well - mostly in sleepers - but even in coach. But the amjority are dirty and rarely if ever given a cleaning during the trip. My most digusting experience happened a few months back in a sleeper on Ciy of New Orleans - I think a crew member was the source of the mess and didn't bother flushing or cleaning up after themselves.

I'd actually bet many people who don't treat public spaces / restrooms kindly - have just as digusting homes. Interesting thing is - sometimes it is the prim and proper looking people that many times leave the biggest messes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back