Coach seating question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsg

I'm looking to take the train from Chicago to Rochester next week (Lake Shore Limited) and had a few questions. Coach seats are $67 and it's an overnight trip since it departs Chicago at 9:30pm. To upgrade to a roomette, it's currently $301. It's just me travelling. If it cost less, I would probably consider going the roomette route. Is it possible to get sleep during the overnight ride in coach? Or am I out of my mind thinking it's going to happen? I've never ridden the train before, and figured this was my chance since I'll be in Chicago for business next week without the family (they have no interest in the train). Also, I'm assuminng you can check your regular luggage, but I'll also have a backpack with a lot of my things in it (laptop, etc.). Do you have to carry it around with you, or is there a place to lock them up when you leave your seat to say, grab a bite to eat? I know they sound like crazy questions, but I'm just trying to figure all of this out. Thanks.

Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

Yes, you can get some sleep in coach. Do not think of train seats in coach the same as airline seats in coach as the same size! Think more on the line of business class (non flat) seating on an international flight! Many do so every day!

And you can check your luggage between CHI and ROC. You can check 3 without charge, but make sure each weighs under 50 pounds each! If one is 44 pounds and one is 20 pounds, they will make you move some stuff from the 55 pound bag to the other bag!

There is a luggage rack above your seat MUCH larger than on a plane. I would just put my computer in my backpack and put it on the rack. Nobody will probably know it's even there. And trains are like one big community - people are more likely to watch out for others than they are on planes! I had a person sitting next to me (a stranger) and I asked him to keep and eye on my stuff (including my computer on the seat back tray) while I went to the cafe. Everything was still there when I returned! (But like anywhere, note your surroundings.)

If you have not joined Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) yet, I urge you to do so. AGR is similar to an airlines FFP! Just send me a PM (Private Message - just click the envelope under my name) with your email address, and I'll be glad to refer you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also wondering what the sleep ability was as I will be going from Indy to NJ later this summer, do the seats recline at all?

And you can check your luggage between CHI and ROC. You can check 3 without charge, but make sure each weighs under 50 pounds each! If one is 44 pounds and one is 20 pounds, they will make you move some stuff from the 55 pound bag to the other bag!
Huh? I think you mean "if one is 55 pounds ...". 44 is under the limit.

Huh? I think you mean "if one is 55 pounds ...". 44 is under the limit.
Yeah, I meant 55 pounds! (Stupid big fingers!
laugh.gif
)

This is the coach seat in Amtrak's Superliner equipment-

315832_10150361874406019_517386018_9825727_1692430299_n.jpg

I don't have a photo to show of coach on Viewliners (equipment used on Lake Shore Limited) but I guess it is more or less similar.

Do not think of train seats in coach the same as airline seats in coach as the same size! Think more on the line of business class (non flat) seating on an international flight!
That may have been the case two or three decades ago, but today's international business class seats are so far beyond what Amtrak coach offers that I would consider this claim to be borderline dishonest.

Even domestic, the seats up front are typically better than on Amtrak. About the same recline, but Business/First class seats on an airliner aren't so close together, and typically have a large armrest/drink holder between the seats. It's probably a reasonably fair analogy though, since most people would understand the difference. Probably more apt on the AMTK business class 2/1 seating, than standard Superliner Coach seat. Though, to be fair, Amtrak Coach is better than airline coach, for recline and legroom, and somewhat better on width also. Better, but not Business/First class better!

The response I usually get from first time Amtrak riders in coach is "Wow, these are like first class airline seats!". I don't think it is dishonest to make the comparison as most Americans have not seen the international airlines seating now available.

The response I usually get from first time Amtrak riders in coach is "Wow, these are like first class airline seats!". I don't think it is dishonest to make the comparison as most Americans have not seen the international airlines seating now available.
I would not say it is a dishonest, but I would say that saying Amtrak coach seats are comparable to airline premium seats is simply wrong. About the only thing comparable between Amtrak and airline premium seats is pitch. The Amtrak seat itself is pretty miserable compared to the comfort of airline premium seating. Amtrak seats are as hard as a rock, have no shape (like sitting on a bench), and lack even a simple armrest between the seat pairs to provide separation. This does not even address the considerable amenities that are now being built into airline seats.

Anyone who thinks Amtrak coach seats are like airline first class seats, even domestic, has probably only walked past the first class seats heading for coach.

This is the coach seat in Amtrak's Superliner equipment-

315832_10150361874406019_517386018_9825727_1692430299_n.jpg

I don't have a photo to show of coach on Viewliners (equipment used on Lake Shore Limited) but I guess it is more or less similar.
The seat pitch and style of seat on the Superliner cars is similar to the Amfleet II's on the LSL. Also, if you have the option to choose your seat (sometimes they are assigned for you by the car attendant), the picture represents the seat you should choose given the relation of the seat to the window. You get a much better view.

Typically nobody bothers your stuff but just be smart and don't leave things in the open. Also, you can always take your laptop with you to the cafe car.

Some tips I found for sleeping on the train: take a small dose of overcounter sleeping aid if you really want to make sure you sleep, bring an mp3 player so you can play music to drown out the noise, and wear comfertable cloths.

As far as the seat comfort, I am a big guy and I find the seats very comfortable. The leg room on long distance trains is very good for my long legs.

The seats are comfy and the legroom is great, but I can not sleep in them without something to lean my head against. (There's no adjustable headrest with adjustable side flaps like on many airplane seats, and the seat is not concave enough to offer any support.) The pillows offer no help, and at 6'2", leaning against the window somehow doesn't work for me.

If this also applies to you, I'd buy one of those horseshoe-shaped neck pillows, or be prepared to spend the night getting woken up every 60 seconds as your head jerks up off your neck.

Somebody say the obvious. How easily do you sleep at home. I've been unable to sleep on planes on transatlantic flights. Same on Greyhound buses. Some people can't even sleep at home if they interrupt the routine that comes before. Other people (like my brother) drop off to sleep and don't wake up till they arrive at their destination. But people who are light sleepers often learn what things help. I like to play soothing music. I like to stop stimulants a few hours before. Noise-cancelling earphones can help. I'm guessing the cost of a few adaptations would fall far short of a roomette. One thing to remember, at least on Empire Builder. The "cost" of the roomette comes partly for paying for meals. I don't know what it adds up to, but you seldom get real meals in a economy flight ticket.

If this also applies to you, I'd buy one of those horseshoe-shaped neck pillows, or be prepared to spend the night getting woken up every 60 seconds as your head jerks up off your neck.
If you do this (which I also recommend), go thru your AGR account (thru the Points for Shopping portal) to Magellans! You can but those (inflatable) neck pillows and eye shades - and earn AGR points for doing so!
excl.gif
(And they take up very little storage space!)

I have both, and find they come in very handy!
smile.gif

Somebody say the obvious. How easily do you sleep at home. I've been unable to sleep on planes on transatlantic flights. Same on Greyhound buses. Some people can't even sleep at home if they interrupt the routine that comes before. Other people (like my brother) drop off to sleep and don't wake up till they arrive at their destination. But people who are light sleepers often learn what things help. I like to play soothing music. I like to stop stimulants a few hours before. Noise-cancelling earphones can help. I'm guessing the cost of a few adaptations would fall far short of a roomette. One thing to remember, at least on Empire Builder. The "cost" of the roomette comes partly for paying for meals. I don't know what it adds up to, but you seldom get real meals in a economy flight ticket.

I agree, The first night we moved into our house from the apartment I couldn't sleep. The neighborhood was darker and much quieter than my old apartment (next to an interstate highway). It was the same bed but I couldn't sleep.

Whenever I go away overnight, I never get a good nigh sleep in a hotel, especially the first night.

One of my practices is to stay awake, sightseeing, reading, socializing in the lounge car, or whatever, as long as possible, until I can't keep my eyes open any longer, and only then recline and try to sleep. It has worked well for me on many long distance coach trips. Many people, as soon as they get on the train, immediately recline and try to catch a nap. This can result in s series of short, shallow naps, rather than a longer, deeper sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back