Coach Class from Fort Lauderdale to NYP in November

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Donnylad here from England. It's a pleasure to join your Group!

We are taking the Amtrak service from Fort Lauderdale to New York Penn in November.

My Wife and I travelled all the way with Amtrak across the magnificent US from New York to San Francisco back in 2003. We also did Canada coast to coast via Via in 2009 (Vancouver to Halifax, Nova Scotia) so we've served some time on the rails so to speak!

Both previous trips were part of organised tours but this time we're on our own so we need a bit of help, advice and reassurance! (please)

Firstly, the baggage. We will be disembarking a cruise ship in Fort Lauderdale and catching the train. We have pre-booked transport from ship to station and understand if we get to the station in good time we can check in 2 bags (cases) each. We will have two cases, two carry-ons and one garment bag in total.

Would anyone recommend stowing the garment bag with the cases?

Secondly, on previous journeys we have had a bedroom but unfortunately they were all sold out this time so we are preparing for a long journey at our seats!! Any tips to help us make it though the trip will be most gratefully received !!

Thirdly, after much "web-surfing" I think I've managed to get on the wait-list for either a roomette or a Bedroom for the trip and was assured by an agent that we were "Number 1" on the list back in April but have heard nothing since!

Accepting that this is a weekend journey I'm not holding my breath on availability but any tips on improving my chances would be most gratefully received thank you!

Donnylad

In my experience, people who find it easy to sleep on an overnight eastbound transatlantic flight will also find it easy to sleep overnight in Amtrak coach. Likewise, people who find it difficult to sleep overnight on the plane may find it difficult to sleep overnight in Amtrak coach. The difference is that your trip on the train will last much longer, and you'll be able to nap as the train goes north.

The northbound Silver Star operates over somewhat rougher track during the middle of the night than northbound the Silver Meteor. Otherwise, the trains are essentially alike. The seats recline and have leg rests.. much like airline business class of 15-20 years ago.

I have done Seattle-Los Angeles-New Orleans in Amtrak coach without a break. Three nights, no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the matter of roomette, it might be a good idea to keep calling every so often and see if something has become available. Cancellations do happen and you may be in luck. Hopefully you can do the call using Skype or some such so as not to have it cost an arm and a leg.

On the matter of garment bag, I'd carry it on board with me rather than checking it. But others may do otherwise.

Keep checking the website at www.amtrak.com with your dates to see if anything opens up in the sleeper. I would check daily.

One of the nice things about Skype is that a call to a U.S. 800 number is free from anywhere in the world. Anywhere that doesn't block Skype, that is. When I'm in Europe, I routinely dial a U.S. 800 number for a conference bridge -- even though there is a local European number for the same bridge. Skype would charge me for that local call.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would bring your own pillows and coach tends to get cold at night and as you are traveling in the cooler season, I would definitely bring some type of blanket. I travel exclusively in coach and usually put my pillow against the window and then make sure the leg rest is straight out and sleep sort of on my side in the seat. If by chance there are empty seats around you, maybe you will be in luck and can get a double to spread out in, if that does happen, I always put both leg rests up even with the seat and lay diagonally across the two seats from the window toward the Isle.

Coach does have potable water available but I would suggest bringing powdered drink mix to add to it. I have never had an issue with it, but others here have said the water is not good alone. I know you are going on a cruise first, but maybe bring a tote bag with snacks and water so you don't have to spend the high costs in the café car. Enjoy your trip. I too am traveling in November, but heading to Oregon and then San Diego, CA.

http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php shows that the sleeping rooms are sold out on both trains between FTL and NYP on 14-17 November, but there are rooms available on one of the trains -- or both -- on all other dates in November. You can quickly check this website for possibilities of some or all of these 4 dates opening up with last-minute cancellations in the sleeping room space as the date of your trip approaches

In addition to pillows and a blanket, I would also suggest bringing ear plugs, an eye mask, and some water bottles. Much better tasting than the train water, even though the train water is potable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back