CN Roadcruisers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
In 1969 CN replaced their narrow-gauge passenger train on the island of Newfoundland with a Roadcruiser bus service on the 550 mile run from St. Johns to the ferry terminal at Port-aux-Basque (Port Oh Bask).

76-07Scan10090.JPG

76-07Scan10048.JPG

Heres the new bus schedules along with the last schedule for the Caribou (#101 & #102) A full service passenger train with coaches, sleepers, diner and lounges. The Caribou made its last run in July 1969 after passengers abandoned it for faster Roadcruisers........the Expedo was nearly 8 hours faster than the train.

Image.jpg

Image%20%288%29.jpg

Image%20%287%29.jpg

CN continued to operate the narrow-gauge division in Newfoundland renamed Terra Transport through the 1980s. It included mixed trains and the bus service.

Image%20%285%29.jpg

Image%20%286%29.jpg

After the narrow-gauge railway was abandoned entirely in 1988, the bus service reverted back to using the “CN Roadcruiser” name.

So.......nearly 20 years after CN had turned over its passenger service on the mainland to VIA, you could still buy a CN passenger ticket. CN sold the bus service to DRL in 1996, which continues to operate it today

Image%20(2).jpg

Image%20(4).jpg

Image%20(3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep bringing us this great stuff! Thank you!

I always liked that "Roadcruiser" moniker....

That first photo makes me smile...could be titled "Challenger and Champion's"....

Of course, the Challenger was the 'champion' at that time, and the Champion was the 'challenger'...... ;)

They seem to have used the old Prevost buses because of the nameplate at te front. What model is that?
The photo's show a couple of different model Prevost's. IIRC, the one with the roof window, similar to the contemporary MC-7, was called the "Champion", obviously a poke at MCI's "Challenger" name. I think it was also known as model 'TS-47', but I'm not certain of that. That was introduced back around 1967 or 1968, a long way for this old head to remember......

The first time I saw them at The Port, was when the old Somerset Bus Company, of Mountainside, NJ, introduced them on some of their suburban commuter routes, such as New York to Clark, NJ.

At that time, Prevost had no US sales network, and Somerset had in fact become the new coach dealer for Prevost. I'm not sure how far their territory ran...

but they had at least the entire northeastern US......

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to have used the old Prevost buses because of the nameplate at te front. What model is that?
The photo's show a couple of different model Prevost's. IIRC, the one with the roof window, similar to the contemporary MC-7, was called the "Champion", obviously a poke at MCI's "Challenger" name. I think it was also known as model 'TS-47', but I'm not certain of that. That was introduced back around 1967 or 1968, a long way for this old head to remember......

The first time I saw them at The Port, was when the old Somerset Bus Company, of Mountainside, NJ, introduced them on some of their suburban commuter routes, such as New York to Clark, NJ.

At that time, Prevost had no US sales network, and Somerset had in fact become the new coach dealer for Prevost. I'm not sure how far their territory ran...

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the info!
I'm wondering where that DOT number in your tag line came from?

To me, Greyhound Lines Inc., will forever be "ICC-MC-1515".......based in Chicago. At least in the good 'ol days........ ;)

Thanks for the info!

To me, Greyhound Lines Inc., will forever be "ICC-MC-1515".......based in Chicago. At least in the good 'ol days........ ;)
That tag line is written on every Greyhound bus. On some buses it is written in one long line, on others it's stacked.

Thanks for the info!

That tag line is written on every Greyhound bus. On some buses it is written in one long line, on others it's stacked.
I'm aware of where you got it but I was wondering when GLI got it....I was more familiar with the older motor carrier number used years ago.....

Thanks for the info!

I'm aware of where you got it but I was wondering when GLI got it....I was more familiar with the older motor carrier number used years ago.....
I think it was sometimes in the 1980s when buses deregulated and Greyhound switched HQ from Chicago to Dallas.

Back