Clean linens in bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they change bed linens before each run on the California Zephyr? I've been reading some postings about dirty blankets and pillowcases and, I'm a little bit concerned since I'm headed to S.F. next month. I'm booked for a bedroom on the California Zephyr.

Concerned

The linens themselves (the white stuff) is always changed when an occupant has completed their portion of the trip (since some rooms turn over en route). I don't believe the blankets get changed every time, but when they are visibly dirty are changed.

On all long distance with sleepers, bedsheets and pillowslips are supposed to changed after every use! Regarding the blankets, most of us OBS folks will dispose of the used blankets into the soiled linen bag if it is really wrinkled even if it doesn't appear to be soiled. We like them to go to the laundry as regularly as possible. I am sure a few get by on occasion, though. The blankets have to be reused some prior to going to the laundry especially in route where there is room turnover. Hotels usually use the same blanket and bedspread (though we don't have bedspreads) a couple times in a row, too. In route it is a judgment call on the attendant really and truthfully.

I don't know about elswhere, but here in MIA they usually get on after the trip and inspect the sleepers to see if each bed is made with clean linen. They don't like us to leave unmade beds, but if we do they want us to strip the whole bed including the blanket!

To the person who posted they found what appeared to be dried blood on their sheets: That's just unacceptable! If you didn't do anything about it by notifying your attendant, then shame on you! OBS........

I assume the dried blood comment came from the same person that bashes Amtrak constantly here. I'd be surprised if the person ever rode Amtrak.

FWIW, I have a fair amount of sleeping car mileage under my belt and I have never had a single problem with dirty sheets, etc.

(NOTE: never had a hotel dirty sheet problem, either)

(NOTE: never had a hotel dirty sheet problem, either)
Before I retired I stayed in hotels about 100-150 times a year. Someone told me many years ago, look between the mattress and the box springs in a hotel room. You will be amazed at what you'll find there! Many times I was!

Meaning what?
I don't want anyone to think I'm weird, but once someone has suggested you look, you do so now and then. Most of the time nothing, but sometimes articles of clothing, condom wrappers, newspapers, etc. I even found someone's airline tickets and a work ID one time.

Why they would be there is anybody's guess.

Back