CL sleeper questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beth

Hello! I am looking at booking a one-way trip in a roommette on the Capitol Limited in Novemeber (flying back) and I have a couple of questions. My apologies if they've been answered elsewhere and I've missed them:

1)Would I have access to the sleeper car passenger lounges in both D.C. and Chicago?

2)Do sleeper car passengers board early? I thought I heard mention of some sort of pre-boarding/pre-trip event, but I don't remember if that was this train.

3)Would we have time for breakfast in the dining car before arriving into Chicago at 8:45 a.m.?

Thank you!

Hi,

My understanding is that you would have access to both lounges, although most passengers just use the lounge when departing, unless they have a reason to wait at the destination station.

Pre boarding for sleeper passengers varies by station, my recollection was that at Washington station we just waited in a different line to coach passengers, once the train departure was announced... More like seperate boarding than pre boarding.

The restaurant car opens for breakfast from around 6-6.30am, so you should be fine to eat before Chicago.

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
1)Would I have access to the sleeper car passenger lounges in both D.C. and Chicago?

Yes. Keep your stub so you can access the lounge in CHI

2)Do sleeper car passengers board early? I thought I heard mention of some sort of pre-boarding/pre-trip event, but I don't remember if that was this train.

I used a red cap, so I don't know how they did it from the lounge in WAS for those who did not have red caps

3)Would we have time for breakfast in the dining car before arriving into Chicago at 8:45 a.m.?

Yes, as mentioned above, the diner opens early

Also, when you arrive in Chicago, it will feel like a 9:45 a.m. arrival due to the time change. I used to take this train from Pittsburgh to Chicago and I always found that there was plenty of time to eat a relaxed breakfast and then to sip some coffee in the lounge afterward.

Sleeping car passengers go out a side door from the lounge, and ahead of the coach passenger line, to board the train in DC.

We pre-board red cap sleeping car passengers in Washington about 3:20 pm or so. Very soon after the red caps deliver their passengers to their car, the rest of the sleeping car passengers are then boarded, followed by the coach passengers. Breakfast starts at 6 am and closes at south bend, plenty of time for a nice breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back