"City" on the ground!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update:

Ian Thomson, a spokesman for Canadian-based CN Railway Company, which owns the tracks, said the span in the derailment area had been inspected on Sunday and no problems were found. He also said two freight trains had traveled the same tracks the afternoon of the accident the crews had reported "very smooth runs."

The train's data recorder showed its speed reduced from 78 mph to a dead stop at about 6:33 p.m. Tuesday, NTSB Vice Chairman Mark Rosenker said at a Wednesday evening briefing, and investigators said it appears that the emergency handle had been pulled.

A further update:

FLORA, Miss. (AP) _ The engineer aboard the City of New Orleans reported seeing "some sort of misalignment in the rail" shortly before the Amtrak passenger train spilled into a swampy area of Central Mississippi, federal investigators said Thursday.

One person died and dozens were injured in Tuesday's derailment in Yazoo County about 25 miles north of Jackson.

"He applied his brakes. Six seconds later, he reported seeing the right rail roll over in front of him," Mark Rosenker, vice chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said following interviews with the engineer.

Looks like CONO departed New Orleans on time today (2004-04-09). No news about the Chicago departure.

Anyone know the consist of #58 since it resumed full service?

I seem to recall that after the Sunset had its tragic accident in Alabama in 1993 that the first few initial runs were operated by Amfleet equipment.

Thanks!

Steve/NOL

I can't believe that with all the replies to this thread, only about TWO mention passengers and how they feel for them and their families! Can't believe that most of you are more concerned with carriages and machinery than with people. Strange!

"Can't believe that most of you are more concerned with carriages and machinery than with people. Strange! "

I don't think you can really make that assumption simply based on the few responses you've seen in this message board. People mourn in their own way. It doesn't have to be posted on here for all to see.

I for one think it's a great thing that the train resumed full service in a timely manner, and I am glad the discussions moved to that direction. It shows human ingenuity and perserverence at it's finest. When life knocks you down, you have to get back up and start moving. Bravo to the Amtrak family for doing just that.

KiwiKate said:
I can't believe that with all the replies to this thread, only about TWO mention passengers and how they feel for them and their families! Can't believe that most of you are more concerned with carriages and machinery than with people. Strange!
We are concerned with the people, its unfortunate that injuries and a death did result from the accident, but we're taking a view on how it will effect the national system, and those people that use it. There is and has been a car shortage for a while, which has reduced service levels on some trains, and this will certainly not help it out, but I don't think too many problems will result. For those that don't outright mention their concern, its implied, nobody here is happy that what happened did indeed happened, but it does. The loss of life was minimal, but still too high.

I think I speak for most here when I say that we are all concerned for the PAX's and their families, as without PAX's there is no railroad to run. But, that said, while we are all concerned for the well being of the passengers, there is little we can say on this board that will inform others on the situation if we only express our feelings for the families. So we instead focus on the equipment and what this accident will do to the railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back