City of New Orleans, connecting from/to Wolverine, Feb. '24

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably had time to go inside the station, but didn't. It was time to start getting ready for bed. The shower floor upstairs was so grimy and I did try to get it clean, and while rinsing it, noticed there was no hot water. I probably should have checked out the one downstairs but at this point was getting tired enough that a drink and bed was more appealing. I was able to brush teeth and get cleaned up adequately with soap and towels provided, and was out like a light around midnight. We were due in Chicago around 8:30, and I wanted to wake up in enough time to get some coffee. Night was relaxing enough, did not sleep as soundly as on the trip down, but enough. Woke up to the morning light of Illinois countryside, and watched the city slowly come into view, with the coffee.

Well, this will wrap up a long, long trip report. I need a better system for trying to upload pictures, or basically, a new home computer. Regretful about the various sizing issues with these photos, really not sure why not consistent between phone and desktop. At any rate, we pulled into Chicago right on time, as I recall. The train winds around the city and then reverses direction, it is much easier to see what's going on in daylight as opposed to the nighttime departure out of Chicago. I had the butter cake for breakfast with the coffee, which probably wasn't a great choice. It was a wonderful trip but I made my way to the lounge feeling very lightheaded. I had some time before the Wolverine departure at 2:15, so I found a chair in which to relax and sip water, which helped. Note that after the recent policy changes, your BC ticket on the Michigan trains does not give you access to the lounge; but if you are departing or even arriving on a sleeper ticket you do have, and I was so grateful to be able to just stay seated until the dizziness started to go away. Eventually, I stowed by suitcase in the bag room and went to go look for breakfast. I wasn't feeling 100% so didn't want to go on a long walk. Not a big breakfast eater but some protein seemed to be called for, so I got the egg, cheese and pepper stromboli from the Sbarro in the station food court, and ate it while hanging out in the Great Hall, which was rather quiet. This did make me feel better, and with the bag already in storage, decided to head outside. The sun was emerging from the clouds and it was even warmer than a few days prior. A favorite walk from the Amtrak station, is to wander down to the Ogilvie center and French market, and there was more than enough time for that. I returned to the station with plenty of time and stopped at Nuts on Clark for a bag of popcorn. The lounge had Kind bars again (and other stuff) so I took one to have with an apple that was still in my suitcase, before they called us for boarding. The agents called for boarding right on time, and I grabbed another Kind bar to have on the train, along with a bottle of water. There was a young man in line in front of me and he expertly weaved his way through all the construction to the track, and I wouldn't have been so confident, so it was a blessing to have him to follow. :) The trip back was quiet and uneventful, a time to reflect on the adventure, update my family, but mostly savor the last hours of living in the train moment. Thanks for reading, and thanks to all who have shared your own trip reports, photos and videos. It's a fun diversion, but also so, so helpful.

Michigan Mom,

We’ve been following your most recent trip report with great interest and were glad to hear that your trip was a success and that you are now safely back home. We were particularly impressed that you chose to do this trip solo. Had you ever been to New Orleans before? It appeared that you were able to navigate around like someone who was thoroughly familiar with that city.

We were sorry to hear that the Transdorm facilities on your return trip required you to do the work that the cleaning crew should have done. There was no excuse for that, particularly the smelly restrooms, and we hope that you will bring this matter to Amtrak’s attention. (What a difference from the days when COVID regulations were being strictly enforced and someone sneezing in an open coach was sufficient reason to bring in a Hazmat team at the next scheduled stop!)

And thanks for bringing Sbarro to our attention. On our next visit to CUS we plan to go there for a takeout breakfast.

We’ve book-marked your report so that we can refer back to it as often as we like. (There is nothing like a well-written trip report to explain the appeal that “living in the train moment” has for all of us.)

As Charlie Chan would say, “Thank you so much.”

Eric & Pat

Last edited:
Thanks Caravanman, that is the intention! I try to emulate the style of reports that take you along, and I'm so happy you got that feeling. New Orleans was a welcome discovery and I agree wholeheartedly, the train is the best way to arrive and depart from there.
Eric and Pat, thank you as always, you've always been so kind and supportive, I love your trip reports and thought about you a few times while on the trip and while getting my pictures and text drafts ready to begin the report. As far as getting around by myself, it helped to have a plan and some advance research, although it's always the case that when you get to a new city, things don't necessarily match up to your research expectations. NOL was honestly not difficult to navigate. I tried to be flexible and change gears as needed, while the smartphone maps and such were not perfect, still makes a world of difference. Beyond that I didn't want to let fear or insecurity hold me back, the plan all along was to just head out and see what was "waiting round the bend" :)

As far as getting around by myself, it helped to have a plan and some advance research, although it's always the case that when you get to a new city, things don't necessarily match up to your research expectations. NOL was honestly not difficult to navigate. I tried to be flexible and change gears as needed, while the smartphone maps and such were not perfect, still makes a world of difference. Beyond that I didn't want to let fear or insecurity hold me back, the plan all along was to just head out and see what was "waiting round the bend" :)
Back in October 2000, I had to be in Portland to be on hand for the rehearsals and a special performance of the Oregon Symphony Orchestra that took place in the old Paramount Portland Theater on Halloween Eve. The Orchestra put us up in a hotel located right next to the theater, and we were able to walk around downtown Portland to take in the sights and visit some of the stores. (I seem to recall that there was a Starbucks Coffee shop on every corner.)

The day after the performance, we had a few hours before the Coast Starlight departed for LA and we used the time to journey to Powell’s Books which is located not too far from the station. That was about the extent our roaming around a strange city on our own and without a plan.

We remain impressed that you undertook to do this trip solo and at the many things you were able to get done once you reached your destination.

Last edited:
For some reason, ever since this trip report was posted, the music and lyrics for “Moon River” keep going through my head. (Pat and I were still in high school when the film came out in 1961.) In the 63 years since “Moon River” first appeared, most of popular hit songs that came out during the intervening years are now forgotten while “ Moon River” is still fondly remembered by many of us. A truly romantic song never goes out of style!

For some reason, ever since this trip report was posted, the music and lyrics for “Moon River” keep going through my head. (Pat and I were still in high school when the film came out in 1961.) In the 63 years since “Moon River” first appeared, most of popular hit songs that came out during the intervening years are now forgotten while “ Moon River” is still fondly remembered by many of us. A truly romantic song never goes out of style!
Which version do you and Pat like the most?
While Audrey Hepburn singing it in the movie was magical, I give a slight edge to Andy Williams.

Agreed!
That was my wedding song...:)

Which version do you and Pat like the most?
While Audrey Hepburn singing it in the movie was magical, I give a slight edge to Andy Williams.
Henry Mancini later said that he wrote “Moon River” specifically for Audrey Hepburn. He also said that, of the many versions of the song that were done over the years, he felt that hers was the best. (We agree.)

Back