City of New Orleans 1983

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haolerider

Conductor
Does anyone know the consist and equipment type for the City of New Orleans in 1983? Was it single level? Thanks for any information available.

As far as i know it was single level equipment even into the 90's

I rode the City of New Orleans in the fall of 1984 to the New Orleans Worlds Fair, in April, 1987 and February, 1991. The train was heritage 10/6 sleepers with heritage coaches, including a Dome Car and amfleet full lounge. Tray meals were served in the lounge which had tables set up like a diner at meal times. For a while, a through sleeper and dome coach were added at Centralia, Il from Kansas City and St Louis. By 1987, I think only a coach was added at Centralia and by 1991, I think it was necessary to change at Centralia and soon after the connection was discontinued. I believe the Superliners started being used in the mid 1990s.

I rode the City of New Orleans in the fall of 1984 to the New Orleans Worlds Fair, in April, 1987 and February, 1991. The train was heritage 10/6 sleepers with heritage coaches, including a Dome Car and amfleet full lounge. Tray meals were served in the lounge which had tables set up like a diner at meal times. For a while, a through sleeper and dome coach were added at Centralia, Il from Kansas City and St Louis. By 1987, I think only a coach was added at Centralia and by 1991, I think it was necessary to change at Centralia and soon after the connection was discontinued. I believe the Superliners started being used in the mid 1990s.
Those dome cars were nice riding cars. Even without a "real" diner the train was a nice overnight into Chicago. The 10 and 6 sleepers were starting to fall apart and I think the dome inventory at Amtrak is just about zero. I would much prefer single level on the City if Amtrak had kept the dome cars. Maybe some of you remember that it was called the Panama Limited (as it was on the IC) for a time after Amtrak took over.

I dug the October 30 1983 to April 23 1984 timetable out and took a look at the consist listed. Basically it was 10/6 sleepers, a lounge or dinette serving tray meals (probably an Amfleet dinette) and baggage service. Slumbercoaches or a Dome was not mentioned.

I dug the October 30 1983 to April 23 1984 timetable out and took a look at the consist listed. Basically it was 10/6 sleepers, a lounge or dinette serving tray meals (probably an Amfleet dinette) and baggage service. Slumbercoaches or a Dome was not mentioned.
Believe me they ran for about a five year period until the train was Superlined and the dome cars were auctioned off. Your '84 timetable might have been just a little premature to the dates they started running. I'm sure someone on the site can tune us in to exactly when they ran.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know where slumbercoaches came into this equation but I never remember any on the Panama or City. I do remember a twin unit diner that was rather unique but we're going back quite some time and it was an IC creation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back