CIN - WAS on the Cardinal 1/20/10

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are getting ready to take our first rail trip from Cincinnati Union Terminal to Washington Union Station on the Cardinal next Wednesday. We are hoping that it is the first of many to come since my brother lives in Denver and I can't wait to go from Chicago to Colorado.

My questions are more immediate:

• What can I expect to pay for an upgrade for a coach to roomette or bedroom upgrade if available?
  • I have a CPAP. Is it going to be difficult to get an outlet in our row? Does the Cardinal have the newer coach cars with the upgraded seating?
  • When we get on the train at 3:45am is there certain unwritten rules to follow? Where should we put our carry-ons? Since the lights will likely be off, and we don't know the layout, I don't want to seem like a fool.
Thanks!

PapaJon,

The lights will be dimmed, but they won't be off. For safety reasons the lights can never be totally off in the coaches.

It shouldn't be hard to get power on that train as most of the coaches have been equipped with outlets for each row of seats. If your attendant assigns you a seat as you board however, be sure to mention the power need just in case.

Carry on's can go in the overhead rack, or if there is room in the luggage rack at the end of the car. You obviously should try to keep any talking to a minimum and at the lowest levels possible so as to not disturb others who may well be sleeping.

As for what you could expect to pay for an onboard upgrade, the normal charge from Chicago to NY for a roomette would be $184 and for a bedroom it would be $369. Since you're boarding further down the line it should be a bit cheaper, I'd guess maybe $50 off the roomette and perhaps as much as $100 off the Bedroom, but that's just a guess. You certainly should not pay more than those prices however.

And if you are serious about an upgrade, I would mention that to either the attendant or conductor who takes your ticket. If you don't mention it to them at that point, you may never see them again till morning, as at that hour they don't walk around all that much.

For future reference, if you need a CPAP, don't go to Denver without booking at least a roomette in advance. The single level cars that you'll find on the Cardinal almost always have outlets at each seat pair. The same is not true for western trains, Amtrak is working on upgrading the cars, but at least half (if not more) have not yet been upgraded. So the only way to guarantee power is to pre-book a sleeper.

I just checked the fares for your trip next Wednesday. Strangely, the roomette fare is $245 but the larger bedroom is listed at $160. I don't know what the price would be on the train though. The bedroom upgrade for $160 in my opinion is pretty good for the Cardinal if it isn't a misprint.

I just checked the fares for your trip next Wednesday. Strangely, the roomette fare is $245 but the larger bedroom is listed at $160. I don't know what the price would be on the train though. The bedroom upgrade for $160 in my opinion is pretty good for the Cardinal if it isn't a misprint.
If the bedroom is only $160 right now, I would book that ASAP! Plus it looks like its cheaper than a roomette right now. That is probably the cheapest your going to get anyway. Also note that the Cardinal carries only one sleeping car. The rooms often sell out very quick or are very expensive, more so than many other trains. You might get on board and find the rooms are sold out already. But when you're in CIN you can always ask the ticket agent at the station if there are any still available.

So if you've already made your coach reservation, get online to see if that $160 room is still open. Call up reservations and ask to upgrade to it. Or just book your sleeper ticket online right then. Then AFTER you book your sleeper reservation, cancel your coach ticket. As long as you have not printed your ticket already, you'll get a full refund.

As saxman noted, there is only ONE sleeper on the Cardinal! That means there are only 2 bedrooms, 1 H-Room and 12 roomettes on the ENTIRE train - and some of them are also used by the crew!

I would grab that $160 Bedroom ASAP - if not sooner! There is almost NO chance of having any sleepers available as an onboard upgrade on the Cardinal!

In addition to what everyone else said, mention your disability when you call to make a reservation. I know they can tag you on the conductor's list as needing extra help, and they might be able to specify electrical socket for CPAP machine.

There is a disabled discount, don't know Amtrak's definition to qualify. You can only get it by phone or in person.

I just got off the phone with Amtrak and I booked the last bedroom!!! It was, indeed, $160 and I can't wait. My ice isn't 100% sold, but once we walk past the coach seats from our bedroom (with two beds, an armchair, and a bathroom w/shower), I'm sure she will be thanking me heartily. The only thing I'm worried about now is being spoiled for any future trips.

So, what can we expect? Is this like flying first class? 14 hours isn't a long train trip, but it will include three meals. Is it whatever we want to eat/drink, or a specific, set menu?

I can't wait.

Glad you were able to get that bedroom. I've traveled tens of thousands of miles over the last 10 years and have only been in a bedroom once and it was very enjoyable. I will say though, that I didn't use the shower in the bedroom.

I always tell people on their first trip to enjoy the experience and don't be in any hurry for it to be over.

Have fun.

PapaJon,

Well you can't go to the diner and have 5 meals for example, but yes you can order one entree off the menu without regard to price, get one desert for lunch and for dinner. For breakfast you can get a free side of meat with your choice. And you get free non-alcoholic drinks. You must pay for alcohol though if you request that. And the tip is not included.

With the bedroom, just bring all your carry-on luggage right to the room. It should already have the beds put down for you, which can make it a bit interesting to get into the room, as it's kind of snug between the lower bed and the sink/vanity. Bigger bags can be placed right on top of the sink/vanity/toilet unit, once you have anything you need out of them.

You won't walk past the coach seats as you board, they'll board you right into the sleeper so as to avoid disturbing others and so that you don't have to haul your luggage through a coach or two and the combo cafe/dining car. Also not, food brought from the cafe side is not free, only the dining car side is free. If you're curious about coach, you can walk though in the morning.

In the sleeping car you should also have access to free coffee, water, and juice. Ask your attendant if you can't find it in the morning. The attendant should also deliver a newspaper to you in the morning.

Otherwise, have fun and get spoiled. :)

My main station is CIN, so I can totally answer any questions you have about the cardinal. You'll love the bedroom! You'll have a ton of room, great accommodations, decent food, and gorgeous scenery! Spoiled is not a good enough word for this experience. I can't think of a better place to be other than on the Cardinal in a sleeper going past all that great screnery!

At CIN, sleeper passengers board first before anyone else, so if will be easier for you and all your equipment.

The agents John and Tom at CUT are great with a good sense of humor. They will send you down first and you will wait at the end of the platform about five minutes. If you have a lot of luggage you can use the elevator. There is no baggage car. If you haven't seen it before, get there early and check out the murals and architecture of a grand terminal.

So, what can we expect? Is this like flying first class? 14 hours isn't a long train trip, but it will include three meals. Is it whatever we want to eat/drink, or a specific, set menu?
I can't wait.
I would say that traveling in a sleeper is far better than first class air travel in terms of space and privacy. Even the roomettes, which are rather cramped, beat being jammed into a flying cattle car. Amtak's coach seats are probably as big as the best first class airline seats. And you don't get strip-searched before boarding.

I can't wait.
I would say that traveling in a sleeper is far better than first class air travel in terms of space and privacy. Even the roomettes, which are rather cramped, beat being jammed into a flying cattle car. Amtak's coach seats are probably as big as the best first class airline seats. And you don't get strip-searched before boarding.
And nobody cares if your socks are mismatched

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And you don't get strip-searched before boarding.
Can we request a strip search?We are from Cincinnati, as well. We are members of The Cincinnati Museum Center which is the tenant of 99% of Union Terminal. I am intimately familiar with the murals. When UT was being renovated, my friend's dad actally helped transport the murals for cleaning and restoration on HUGE trucks.

Keep your expectations modest and hopefully Amtrak will shine then. I found this site before my first Amtrak trip in '06 and was so glad that I did. I had a conductor tell me a week before we left to know that, "we are consistently late, not our fault but we have to abide by what the host railroad tells us to do". He also said, "our trains are worn down" due to lack of funding "but are clean". He then preceeded with "keep your expecations" qoute and then said, "if you keep your expectations modest I think we will do a very good job and you will ride with us again". He was totally correct on that statement and now I have ridden Amtrak alot and "spread the Gospel of Amtrak" as much as possible! :)

I can't wait.
As far as comparison between airline and Amtrak first class, the accommodations are much better on Amtrak, larger and private. As far as service goes, airline service, once on the plane, is much better as they are glad to see you since there is competition. Amtrak on board service, due to no other train competition, tends to be perfunctory. There are pockets of good service, but overall most are going through the motions to get their jobs done.

I guess I'm trying to set expectations on the low side but travelling in a bedroom is an absolutely wonderful way to go and you will be glad you did.

Big Iron I agree with your assesment of first class travel on Amtrak vs an airline. I also think when you compare coach class between the two Amtrak wins out again. I feel the seats are more comfortable, can walk around, get something to eat and I find conversations flow more freely on Amtrak. I tell you how many times I've bee on a plane and never said more than a couple words to a seat mate. For the most part I think the atomosphere on a train is more relaxed and condusive to conversation. But anytime I can afford it you'll find me in a sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy that you were able to get a bedroom and for $160 is very unusual. I paid over $800 for a bedroom last year (to IND).

Twice I had to ride in coach from IND to NYP because all sleepers had been sold. I will be on the Cardinal in April and again in June.

I hope you have an enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back