CIN to CHI (and back again that same day!)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
Hubby and I took a whirlwind trip. We went to Chicago to pick up Star Wars figures (hubby) and I went for the pizza and shopping! We left Cincinnati (on time for once!) at 1:10 am on Feb 14. We arrived in CHI early around 10:30am. We had roomette #6 on the Cardinal (51). Our car attendant both ways was William. I called him "Willy" the entire trip and he didn't seem to mind. Maybe he minded, but the $5's I would slip him every so often made him keep quiet! I didn't sleep much. Every time the train stops, I end up waking up. Also the 2 hour stop in Indy had me intriqued. The station looked beautiful from the train. And which team plays in the Lucus Oil Field in Indy? Breakfast was ok. I had the cheese omelet- which was a regular omelet with a slice of cheese on top. Hubby has the french toast, which looked much better!

Anyway, we get to Chicago, and fellow forum member EverydayMatters (Betty) met us at the gate! She was really sweet! We got to talk while hubby was wheeling and dealing over his Star Wars figures and packing him in his extra bags that we left in the Metro Lounge. Betty gave us a detailed map to help us navigate the city. We had major plans for Giordanos! Thank you to everyone who recommended Giordano's! It was amazing! So much, in fact, that I just mail-ordered 2 pizzas being sent to my house! Yum!

So after we said goodbye to Betty, we ate shopped, and went up in the Sears Tower. We also walked around CUS for a while. I got popcorn from Nuts on Clark. They have some great popcorn!

We settled in at the Metro Lounge for 2 hours before our train departed. We drank lots of pop and watched movies on our mini DVD player.

At 5:15pm, we boarded train 50 for the return trip home. We had roomette #4 this time. And our attendant was Willy again! Shortly after we departed the obnoxious waiter (Whose last name is Mitchell, and was the same waiter as the previous trip) came screaming through the sleeper car announcing dinner. I had the beef pot roast (which was great!) with cheesecake for desert. Hubby had tortellini and cheesecake. Incidentally, I noticed that my husband pilfered the plastic Amtrak plate that our dinner roll was served on. :) The rest of the ride went smoothly. I stayed awake the whole night. We got into the station in CIN at 3:20am. We got off, I slipped Willy another $5 (he was a good attendant!), and we drove the 1 1/2 hours home.

In all, it was a fantastic trip! It was so nice meeting and talking with Betty while hubby was talking Star Wars to a stranger! Also, the train trip is always great. We are trying to find ways to take another trip!

Giordano's is a good place, I have one across the street from my house. Lucas Oil Field is indeed the new home from the Indianapolis, only one season has been played there.

Sqeakz2001 - sounds like you had a great trip to Chicago as well! I didn't make it to Giordano's this trip - but I certainly thought about it given all of the recommendations from folks on the forum. Perhaps we'll cross paths in Chicago some time.... :)

Deimos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back