chuljin's Gathering Mega-trip Part 11 (2/3 written, sorry)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuljin

Lead Service Attendant
Post-Gathering E: Three full days of my first visit to NYC

Finally in NYC, it was time to explore. While I did take a token LIRR ride, for the most part my ad-hoc itinerary was that of a first-time NYC tourist rather than hardcore railfan, though with the exception of two short car trips, all movement was on foot or by train, so I think this still qualifies for posting as an AU trip report. :)

Splitting this one into three posts. :)

Thursday, November 5

Pictures from this day are here.

On this day, I'd decided to go with Gino on his commute, then explore. Because I was now not burdened with luggage, we walked to the L train's Bedford station, where I got the first of three $8.25 all-day Metrocards, then took it to Union Square, whence the Broadway ('yellow') Line (NQRW, I forgot which particular one) to 34th/Herald Square. We parted company here, and off I went. My first stop, of course, was Penn and its ClubAcela, where the attendant asked, in an enjoyable Jamaican accent, 'Need to pick up a ticket?' 'No, Ma'am,' I said, 'just hanging out.' I stayed only long enough to have a cup of coffee...I had a city to explore. So back outside, before the station on the 7th Avenue side, I stood, suddenly paralyzed with indecision. I'd worked out in my mind a rough list of the places I wanted to see, but no optimum sequence in which to see them.

NFT to the rescue (Not For Tourists' New York version, my ever-present 'bible' for this part of the trip). It indicated that the Empire State Building was a short walk away, so I decided to start there. Walking east on 34th, I saw a sign that said 'Empire State Building', and thought 'Cool! But where?' and looked all around me. Turns out I was right in front of the thing. Due to the setbacks, from right in front of it, it looks like any other five-story building that fills a whole block, and it's only across or up the street that one notices its height. After a couple obligatory photos, I continued east on 34th, passing a kosher Dunkin Donuts and Madison Avenue, until I reached Park Avenue. I was interested, since I know some of the rail-related history of it, and so headed north (not least because there was more 'parkiness' north than south of 34th. As I walked, the tall and impressive MetLife building became more clear, and then I noticed a not-tall but beautiful building in front of it. It actually took me a little while to realize that this was, in fact, Grand Central Terminal. I'd intended to save it for after lunch, but since I'd accidentally already gotten there, it was time for a look.

What can I say? Impressive. Most impressive. I took many many pictures here, probably more than of any other single building during this trip. One intended picture, though, was not taken. As I was exploring, I noticed, through a door, the train sheds, unimpressive but for the presence of many MNRR trains. I raised my camera to take a picture of them, when an MTAPD officer informed me that picture taking was not allowed. I'd dumbly forgotten the printed rules again, so gave up without a fight or a picture. While here, I visited the Transit Museum Store (it also has an exhibit annex for the Museum, but it was exhibitless), where I got, besides 2 free copies of The Map, a G magnet, a G bookmark, and two Metrocard holders, one with a picture of a Metrocard on the front, the other with the famous view of sunlight streaming into GCT. While here, I also got a full set of Metro North timetables. At first I was overwhelmed: there were dozens; I then realized these were the individual branches, and found and instead took one each of the three combined timetables. I then took the Shuttle over to Times Square. Oooh, shiny! Everything here, even mundane things like McDonald's and Bank of America, has an impressive, expensive, blinking sign. One nice thing, fairly recent as I understand it, is that there are no longer any cars on this part of Broadway, making Times Square even more enjoyable for the many pedestrians. I walked north through Times Square, arriving at 49th Street just before lunchtime, and so took the N back to 34th/Herald Square, whence Gino's office, where he thoughtfully printed out the MTA photo regulations for me. He admired my G magnet and said he wanted to get one, so when I was at GCT again briefly after lunch (see below), I just went ahead and got him one.

For lunch, we got wraps from Kati Wrap, and took them to Bryant Park to eat. Kati Roll is interesting: They take Indian food that might otherwise be arrayed on a plate, and instead use the naan to make it into a wrap. As we ate, Gino told me that the large building we saw facing away from the park was the Library, which I'd mentioned I wanted to see. So after lunch, I explored there a little, including a very interesting exhibit, Mapping New York's Shoreline, 1609-2009. Thence the 7 back to Grand Central for a few more pictures before taking the 6 to 51st St, to see that most famous of Hugh Stubbins' (remember him from Part 4?) buildings, the Citicorp Center, and its accompanying Saint Peter's Church. I had a pumpkin donut at the Dunkin Donuts in the mall beneath, and browsed Barnes and Noble a little (trying to find a new edition of the NFT guide) before taking the E to 42nd and the Port Authority Bus Terminal (whose description in NFT suggested that I'd like it). I then walked east, back to Times Square, and took some Broadway train (don't recall which) back to 34th/Herald Square (though a 7th train would have been a better choice), then back to Penn for a bit, and to the ClubAcela just because I could (over here, AlanB recently called it 'being able to use the Club Acela's like it's the NY public library' :lol: ), before meeting Gino again at his office. Here I got the chance to meet three of his coworkers, and we went for beers and shoptalk (with the same profession, fortunately I could participate :p ) at Blaggard's at 39th and 6th. As there were five of us, to make it equitable there had to be five rounds, too. :lol: Fortunately we also got unhealthy bar food as well. The party partially broke up a couple hours later, but as Gino, one coworker, and I decided that hadn't been a proper dinner, we then went to Mad for Chicken (5th and 32nd) for really good wings...and soju. :) Thence Broadway (NQRW) and L home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post-Gathering E: Three full days of my first visit to NYC

Friday, November 6

Pictures from this day are here.

This day was to have some transit tokens (pun intended): I'd made my mind up months before to go to the Stillwell-Coney station, 'the world's largest above-ground terminal facility', and as an added bonus, to get there from Manhattan so I'd go over the bridge of the same name. In this, I was assisted by thoughtful advice from Micah (ALC_Rail_Writer), first discussed in Boston and then later written down by him in a Facebook message. I woke as my hosts were leaving for work, and they said there were faster ways from Greenpoint to Coney than through Manhattan, but know me and understood why, so said 'L to N' as they left. During my walk to the L Bedford station, I consulted both The Map and J Brennan's condensed version, and realized I could first accomplish two other goals: the Jamaica station, and a token LIRR ride. So I instead took the L east to Broadway Junction (of which I regret not taking pictures, considering the myriad lines that converge there), whence J to Sutphin. After a few pictures of the impressive Jamaica station, and of course collecting a full set of LIRR timetables, I took a quick LIRR train to NYP, on the way taking a few pictures of Sunnyside Yard. Of course, I now had to visit the ClubAcela again. As had become my habit for ClubAcela 'library-card' checkins, I presented my S+ card and ID, and the attendant, recognizing me from the day before, said 'Oh, I don't need to see that [iD]', and didn't even ask where I was going. :) Coffeed up, it was Coney Island time.

So N from 34th/Herald Square, across the Manhattan Bridge, with its impressive views of downtown and the Brooklyn Bridge, all the way to the terminus at Stillwell-Coney, also an impressive station. My long-ago original plan had me just coming back, but Micah pointed out that since it's right there it would be a shame not to visit Coney Island proper. I'd arranged to arrive around lunchtime, so of course I went to Nathan's Original for lunch. A friend later tried to deflate my excitement by telling me I'd already been to Nathan's in West LA, but that one is not the Original with its huge picture of Kobayashi. :) Two peppers&onions, and (of course, and hypocritically/ironically), Diet Coke. Then, after a few pictures of the empty boardwalk and idle rides, off to the nearby(ish) Transit Museum. I intended to go to DeKalb on the Q and walk the several blocks from there, but for reasons now forgotten, I got off at Sheepshead Bay switched to a B. Perhaps and IIRC I thought I was getting an express. At DeKalb, I got turned around a little and went to the museum the long way: northwest on Flatbush, west on Myrtle, south on Jay/Smith, west on Schermerhorn, not arriving until 3:30. As they were to close at 4, they actually let me in free. It's not enormous, so half an hour was actually about right to almost fully explore it.

I next intended to go to the financial district, so I walked to the Court station, hoping to take R to Cortlandt. I didn't know until we sailed through it that the Cortlandt station is closed as part of the Fulton St Transit Center Project, so I got off at City Hall and walked back south on Broadway. I'd just missed the Yankees parade (thank goodness! good job, Yankees, but I didn't want to be in the middle of the mess) but there was still evidence of it everywhere...for example, I'd arrived just in time to see a guy in a cherry picker pulling toilet paper out of the trees in City Hall Park. :lol: I paid respects at the WTC site (now surrounded by high wooden walls) before walking along Wall St from Broadway to William, taking such pictures as the increasing darkness would allow, of Trinity Church, NYSE, Federal Hall, and bollards, before taking the 3 train to 34th/Penn, whence Gino's office, where, as on all Fridays, it was Friday beer bust (since working for the City, I miss that kind of fun); this week's theme was hot dogs (and tater tots). :)

Thence the original Macy's, where Gino and I met Aimee and we then tried in vain to find him a bowtie and cummerbund for the upcoming wedding. But at least I caught a couple shots of the oldest old wooden escalator. :) Asked again where I wanted to dine, I said 'your favorite non-fussy restaurant here in the City', and we went to Dallas BBQ in/near Times Square. 'On the way' (sort of), we stopped at PABT to take a couple pictures of the Ralph Kramden statue, that I'd heard about but had not been able to find the day before. Dallas BBQ was interesting...there was a significant line outside, and once we were inside, a large seatless 'holding area' upstairs to wait for a table. I had the 'BBQ combo' (pulled pork and brisket), which was tasty, if excessive: I was in a little pain as we left. Despite that, we went to have dessert anyways, at Junior's in GCT. I had 'Devil's Food Cheesecake', which amounted to a 2-layer devil's food cake with a plain cheesecake substituting for one of the cake layers. It was about a 30-degree slice of a 6-inch-high, 12-inch-diameter cheesecake, and since I was already full, and had not brought my extra pancreas with me, I only had about one third of it. Yes, I, too, wonder how I managed to gain only about half a pound on this trip. Anyways, thence 7 to G home.

Aloha

There is nothing like an "Original" Nathans hot dog with their mustard. Also nice to see the Parachute drop from around 1941 still Stands, along with the Wonder Wheel. I know now closed. I last rode the Cyclone at age 50, A friend Age 75 was with me. I hope in 10 years to do the same.

Mahalo for the reports, and pictures

Eric

This is making me homesick and now I want some Nathans. The closest one to where I live is in Rancho Cucamonga and that's close to a six hour drive from here. Considering you'd gotten off at DeKalb, you should have had some cheesecake at Juniors which is at DeKalb and the Flatbush Ave, extension. Once a year (especially if I don't go back) I have a cheesecake shipped for the holidays. Good stuff.

Though after looking I see you hit the outlet in the GCT food court.

Great report so far. Next time you're at DeKalb Avenue, stop at Junior's for some cheesecake and maybe a little luncheon.

I was in New York in February and took the subway to DeKalb, went to Junior's then to the Transit Museum. You're making me nostalgic!

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back