Christmas on the Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ivyspice

My parents and I are taking the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville, leaving on Christmas Eve. Will there be any recognition of the holiday on the train, like special dishes? Does anyone have any suggestions about putting together a festive Christmas on the train? We have a folding cardboard Christmas tree for the bedroom, and we're planning to bring a stollen to enjoy on Christmas morning. I might also bring a stocking full of candy canes to share with the staff. I would love to hear what others have done.

While we're at it, does anyone have recommendations for what we should order/avoid from the regular menu, assuming it isn't altered for Christmas? We took this trip 25+ years ago when I was a kid, but in recent decades we've only been on international trains (the Indian Pacific; the Canadian Pacific), so our Amtrak dining car impressions are pretty out of date. Thanks!

I was on the Silver Star last year on Thanksgiving evening and they served turkey. I have no idea whether there will be a special Christmas meal, but I would guess so.

Have a wonderful trip.

Why not take your Christmas tree to the SSL (lounge) on Christmas morning? I bet everyone would enjoy it!

All the food is usually great - even the veggie burger. Beware of the the chocolate/peanut butter ice cream - very, very addictive.

Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back