Christmas/New Year's Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is for the veteran holiday travelers out there who take the train around Christmas.

Is it hectic during that time of year?

Definitely maybe. What trains are you looking at taking at what times?

I've only taken the Coast Starlight during the Christmas/New Years. Coach was a zoo going both ways. First class was full, but just as nice as ever; a little more difficult to catch a seat in the Pacific Parlour Car for the wine tasting.

A lot depeneds on what trains you are looking at and the actual days you want to travel. As you can imagine, the day before and the day after Christmas are very heavy, however Christmas day depends very much on time of day and region of the country. There is a blackout on all special deals from Dec 16-31 and Jan 1-2. Christmas is on a Sunday this year, so the days before that will be very heavy, however mid-week (Dec 27-29) will probably be light.

What ever you do, do it early and get your seat reserved.

Beetlegator said:
I am sorry that I didn't indicate where I was traveling.

From Washington, DC to Orlando, Florida Dec 23
I would expect that trains on that day, especially on that route, would be rather full. Sleepers especially will likely be sold out, and there is a good chance that coach will sell out too.

If you haven't already, book your tickets now. Especially since the price will continue to rise as we get closer to December.

I completely agree with Alan. There is still space but I would book immediately to make sure you have a seat. The low price for one-way is currently $145 and the high $189. They aren't going to go down at all.

AlanB said:
Beetlegator said:
I am sorry that I didn't indicate where I was traveling.

From Washington, DC to Orlando, Florida Dec 23
I would expect that trains on that day, especially on that route, would be rather full. Sleepers especially will likely be sold out, and there is a good chance that coach will sell out too.

If you haven't already, book your tickets now. Especially since the price will continue to rise as we get closer to December.
The Sleepers are SOLD OUT, everyone!!!

Back