Christmas in the "Big Easy"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having grown up in the early to mid-50's I was lucky enough to have ridden the trains many times during my youth....Omaha to Portland, Omaha to Albany, N.Y., and many trips on the Missouri Pacific. As an adult I took some time off between radio gigs and did a "All Aboard" pass for a month back in the early 90's.

Now as a "late-in-life" single parent of a teenage daughter I'm thrilled to be able to pass along the joy of rail travel. Two years ago Hunter and I wanted to get out of the "Kansas winter" for Christmas so I drove us to Dallas so she could check out all of the JFK stuff...and then went, basically, across the street and we took Amtrak to S.A. coach and picked up a sleeper from S.A. to N.O. There we spent three WONDERFUL days in sunny 65 degree New Orleans staying at the Pelham Hotel while exploring the Big Easy. My daughter not only fell in love with New Orleans, but also Amtrak!!!

Now...two years later we're gonna do it again, with the exception of picking up the Heartland Flyer in OKC and staying in N.O. for five days! Tickets are purchased, hotel is taken care of...and we BOTH can't wait. I don't know what thrills me more....riding the train and doing the N.O. visit....or watching my daughter enjoy it!

:hi: As a single father and grandfather of girls, who I was fortunate enough to have been able to take on train trips, Id call this a Win!Win!Win! situation! :wub:

Have a Blast in New Orleans and on the Flyer, Eagle and Sunset! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back