Christmas Eve Sunset NOL / ELP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the Other Mike

Lead Service Attendant
Stop by the room for a drink.

Ok, I traveled before and after Christmas but never actually on Christmas Eve or Christmas day.

I'm leaving NOL noon on Christmas Eve, adding brother in SAS and heading to ELP for a trip up to Ruidoso NM. for 6 days.

Our family has all passed so it's just me ( 53) and brother ( 58) left. We both love traveling by train but it's the first time traveling together.

Somehow this is becoming a train "event" somewhere between "White Christmas" and "Some Like It Hot".

Questions:

1) What time does the bar close on Christmas Eve ? ( not officialy, but what's your experience on Christmas Eve? )

2)If you can only consume your personal adult beverages in your room but it's Christmas Eve and the bar is closed, can you partake and SHARE in the lounge with others or must you fear the Champagne and Cocktail Police ? ( I usually drink my own liquor in the lounge, but not openly )

3) Has anyone on Amtrak ever gotten into trouble for having Christmas Lights glowing in their exterior window on Christmas Eve ?

4) I've always been blessed with GREAT car attendants and since it's Christmas Eve, why not play Santa for the car attendant ? I have a list of ideas for inexpensive gifts but I'm open to suggestions and things I might not think of.

I realize to some all this might seem foolish but to make sure "I" have a wonderful time, I want as many people around me to have a good time.

All comments welcome, even naughty or grouchy ones.................

I don't have experience with the enforcement of alcohol rules. However, I am pretty sure that they could enforce the rule on personal consumption of Alcohol once you start sharing it. You may be discrete, but somebody else might not be and draw attention to your festivities. Each train crew, and fellow passengers might have varying tolerance levels, so this would be hard to predict. If you ran into the combination of the wrong train crew, and an over exuberant member of your group, the lot of you could be put off the train. Based on what I have read in other posts, the conductors, if they have a problem with something, they generally give one warning, and if that is disobeyed, then it is more likely that one is put off the train. I hate to be overly negative, but I would hate for your holiday to be ruined because of you and your brother being put off of the train. I suspect that if you did not draw attention to yourself on other trips, and you only share with your brother, who would also be discrete, you would be Ok. No matter what happens, always follow the instructions of any crew member in this matter no matter how obnoxious they may seem to you.

As far as lights in the window of your room. That is an intersting idea. If you mean that you would have the lights taped to the window on the inside, I think that would be OK. I would never leave these lights unattended and on. If the crew determines that they are a fire hazard, then it would be a no go. I would ask before doing anything.

I hope that you enjoy your trip and good luck.

I don't have experience with the enforcement of alcohol rules. However, I am pretty sure that they could enforce the rule on personal consumption of Alcohol once you start sharing it. You may be discrete, but somebody else might not be and draw attention to your festivities. Each train crew, and fellow passengers might have varying tolerance levels, so this would be hard to predict. If you ran into the combination of the wrong train crew, and an over exuberant member of your group, the lot of you could be put off the train. Based on what I have read in other posts, the conductors, if they have a problem with something, they generally give one warning, and if that is disobeyed, then it is more likely that one is put off the train. I hate to be overly negative, but I would hate for your holiday to be ruined because of you and your brother being put off of the train. I suspect that if you did not draw attention to yourself on other trips, and you only share with your brother, who would also be discrete, you would be Ok. No matter what happens, always follow the instructions of any crew member in this matter no matter how obnoxious they may seem to you.
As far as lights in the window of your room. That is an intersting idea. If you mean that you would have the lights taped to the window on the inside, I think that would be OK. I would never leave these lights unattended and on. If the crew determines that they are a fire hazard, then it would be a no go. I would ask before doing anything.

I hope that you enjoy your trip and good luck.
As an update..............

The "kid" who grew up in the model railroad club I was president of for 16+ years and Supt. of Ops for 20 or so years, who is now a "big wig" with a MAJOR railroad as one of 8 leasions ( sp ? ) with amtrak replied with:

Mike,

I hope you have a really great trip. I am not very familiar with the Ruidoso area, however, you may be able to bake an alien for Christmas (I think they are available at the Roswell Wal-Mart). The BNSF El Paso Subdivision runs form Belen to El Paso roughly along I-25 but is very weak traffic wise - 3 to 6 trains a day.

You cannot go to jail for the lights....unless they illuminate you engaged in an illegal activity (make sure the turkey is in another room :))

Sleeping car attendants work and live for tips. Though it may seem impersonal, just don't stiff them on their tip and their Christmas will be great. Don't give them any alcohol.

So...................... if you see lights in window as the Sunset passes, consider it an Amtrak Christmas card from me to you. If you're on the Sunset, stop by for a nightcap, if not more. ( PM me for the car #, it's room E )

( I had made a comment about telling my brother he could not board the train in SAS with a baked turkey and fixings for 12 people no matter how many people he wanted to have a merry Christmas with)

I'm still open to suggestions about Secret Santa gifts for the car stewart.

By the way, have I told anyone how great it is to have a personal friend as a lieason ( sp ? ) between a "major" railroad and Amtrak ?

Life is GOOD.

I expect this Christmas Eve to be as good as the year I awoke at 3 am, crawled out of bed and under the lights of the Christmas tree, felt each package till I found the one that felt like the Tyco New Haven Passenger set that I wanted. I snuck out to my father's workshop where the "train table was ""raised"" down, and with an Exacto knife, slit the tape and slipped the HO set out of it's package and played with it till almost 6 am when I put it all back in the box and went back to bed.

Foe those of you NOT traveling for Christmas, I'll be thinking of you...................

Mike,

I'd expect, but would certainly not guarantee, a little extra relaxing of the normal rules for the Christmas holiday. The key would be to not appear to be drunk, overly loud or boisterous, and not deliberately flaunt the alcohol in front of the crew while in the lounge. You also probably don't want to still be partying in the lounge at say 2:00AM either.

I realize to some all this might seem foolish but to make sure "I" have a wonderful time, I want as many people around me to have a good time.
All comments welcome, even naughty or grouchy ones.................
BAH HUMBUG :) :p :lol:

Aloha

What a cool Idea I like your spirit, Enjoy, Mele Kalika Maka

Mahalo

Mike,
I'd expect, but would certainly not guarantee, a little extra relaxing of the normal rules for the Christmas holiday. The key would be to not appear to be drunk, overly loud or boisterous, and not deliberately flaunt the alcohol in front of the crew while in the lounge. You also probably don't want to still be partying in the lounge at say 2:00AM either.
Agreed and trust me, it will not be loud..........I just thought once brother gets on it'll take a drink or two to calm down to be able to enjoy the thoughts of sugar plums and such while rocking to sleep in our berths. Better to "chit chat" in the lounge or maybe in the diner instead of in the room when he boards at 1 am.

I guess I'll be the only one watching Polar Express on the laptop, on a train, Christmas Eve.

Do you still hear the bell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back