Chris Christie Kicked Off Amtrak Quiet Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it would seem that Christie popped by the McDonalds at Union Station before heading home...

(Is it sad that some of us can probably trace his movements through WAS right now?)
Well, in DC Union Station, if he and his entourage took a cab or Uber to the station, the path from the front to the Acela boarding gates is straightforward. I doubt that Christie walked all the way to the east end of the concourse and got in line at the McDonalds himself. That is what staffers are for; probably sent the staffer or aide to McDonalds to get the strawberry smoothie while Christie and his bodyguard headed to the Acela boarding line.

Maybe that is what Christie was yelling at his aide about. He wanted two strawberry smoothies (or the large size). The opportunities for snarky comments about this are endless. :p The story hits multiple buttons about Christie: he was yelling or loudly upset with his aide/staff, he was yelling or loudly upset with whoever was on the other end of the cell phone conversation, he and his entourage didn't see or ignored the rather prominent Quiet car signs, and he was drinking a McDonalds strawberry (or strawberry-banana) smoothie which has a lot of sugar (54 grams for the medium size according to McDonald's website) - not exactly a diet drink. This story could run for a couple of days. Could be the best free publicity Amtrak has had in months....

Washington Post: Chris Christie mistakes Amtrak’s quiet car for the yelling car and gets kicked off (yep, even the Post is going for the snarky headline).

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that he was yelling at his aide because he wanted another Big Mac. You can even see the secret sauce residue from the first one on his right cuff in the pic.

I wouldn't characterize those signs hanging from the ceiling a subtle exactly ;)
But when boarding I'm not looking at the ceiling, I'm looking for a seat. Later, after finding a seat, I might notice the ceiling signs - especially if I'm looking at the signs at end of the car to know which end the rest rooms are on. :p
Don't Acelas have it marked on the door too?
This is another one of those where no matter what you do a small subset will find a suitable excuse for missing it ;)

I wouldn't characterize those signs hanging from the ceiling a subtle exactly ;)
But when boarding I'm not looking at the ceiling, I'm looking for a seat. Later, after finding a seat, I might notice the ceiling signs - especially if I'm looking at the signs at end of the car to know which end the rest rooms are on. :p
Don't Acelas have it marked on the door too?
This is another one of those where no matter what you do a small subset will find a suitable excuse for missing it ;)
I've only ridden Acela twice now (both on Gathering weekend). But I do believe I've noticed it on the outside when I've seen them pass me at WIL. So, maybe I'd think to look for it when boarding. And I now know that the Quiet Car is generally behind the BC car and in front of the cafe on the regionals.

For the record, Christie was on an Acela train that departed WAS at 9:55 AM. I'm surprised that a 9:55 AM departure on Sunday morning from WAS was close to full, but then again, it might have been full of pundits, pols, staffers who were heading back to NYC after appearances on the Sunday morning talk shows.

True, especially if you scamper in as the train is boarding. The fact that the Acelas go "backwards" a lot (e.g. a Regional is almost always BC-Quiet-Coach-Cafe-Coaches) has room to throw occasional/incidental riders.

In general, scheduled Acela trains departing WAS have the first class car and quiet car on the rear. This is closest to the station and the first cars people tend to board. Thus, they fill up first. It is not "backwards." It is proper pointing. Conversely, originating trains from NYP generally have first class and quiet car on the head end. This way, when they tun in WAS, it is properly pointed.

There are exceptions, of course.

This doesn't fly on an Acela. They are marked on the outside of the car as you board:

IMG_1997-600x450.jpg

In case you miss this one, it is on the adjacent door as you board:

d9684916dbe694fb4a020370dac25a5f73a54865.jpg

Then, there is usually a sea of signs hanging from the ceiling:

Amtrak-Acela-Express-NY-to-Wilmington-Delaware-Aug-2014-003-610x343.jpg

Still, it is not uncommon for passengers to sit right underneath the signs and whip out their cell phones. That being said, it really doesn't seem like this is a big deal. The conductor stated "this is the quiet car" and the Governor left.

Par for the course.

BTW, I wonder if the anyone heard anything about bridges or the Port Authority while he was on the phone.

Oh yes....I went there!

As one with no dog in your political hunt, it looks to me like this bloke made a simple mistake while distracted and accepted the direction to shut up or move out quite courteously. Kudos to the conductor doing his job without fear or favour; maybe the governor's staff will send a tip.

I can't see any reason to blow it all out of proportion, although I suppose that is the nature of the media following politics anywhere in the world.

As a diabetic I suggest 47gm carbs strawberry smoothies are unwise for anyone, but especially for a man over 50 whose pictures show he could afford to lose a few pounds :)

Still, it is not uncommon for passengers to sit right underneath the signs and whip out their cell phones. That being said, it really doesn't seem like this is a big deal. The conductor stated "this is the quiet car" and the Governor left.
Exactly. It happens. He was not thrown out of, or kicked off the quiet car from my reading of what happened. When told it was the quiet car he could have stayed and been quiet, stayed and been disruptive or left for another car. He moved to another car. It's not a big deal except to the media. I would guess in this instance the mistake was made by the security people or his entourage. Likely he was following them. When someone has a security detail usually the detail leads.

Hal ---

You suggest that one of Christie's options was to stay in the quiet car and remain disruptive. I can tell you for certain that there are Amtrak Conductors who have the confidence, pride, authority, and cajones to order the train stopped, and delayed, at the next station to remove an unruly, disruptive passenger, even if he were the High Commissar of Lower Slobbovia.

The quiet car ain't New Jersey.

Tom

In general, scheduled Acela trains departing WAS have the first class car and quiet car on the rear. This is closest to the station and the first cars people tend to board. Thus, they fill up first. It is not "backwards." It is proper pointing. Conversely, originating trains from NYP generally have first class and quiet car on the head end. This way, when they tun in WAS, it is properly pointed.

There are exceptions, of course.
There are many, many exceptions to that! I can't tell you how many times I've boarded FC at the head in in DC.

And seeing as how Amtrak generally doesn't bother to run the arriving Acela's out to the yard after arrival into DC during the day, they clean the train right on the platform and send it back out, any Acela with FC at the rear that terminates at NYP will find its next departure from WAS with the FC car on the head end.

Hal ---

You suggest that one of Christie's options was to stay in the quiet car and remain disruptive. I can tell you for certain that there are Amtrak Conductors who have the confidence, pride, authority, and cajones to order the train stopped, and delayed, at the next station to remove an unruly, disruptive passenger, even if he were the High Commissar of Lower Slobbovia.

Tom
I said it was one of his options because some passengers when informed they are in the Quiet Car take that option. Christie has rode Amtrak trains many times, and from his demeanor when I saw him on the train I am certain he never would have took the disruptive option. He was always respectful of the train and crew.

I don't know why you bring up that there are Conductors that would have removed Christie if he had been disruptive. That meant continued to use his phone. As I said I don't think he is that type. However since you brought it up..........if I were an Amtrak conductor who wanted to make it to retirement there is no way I would have thrown Christie off the train. That is not how management would want it handled, not only if it were Christie, but in general with any passenger.

Hal ---

It is clear that the Conductor asked him to leave, and did not "kick him out" of the car. That was entirely appropriate. You suggested Christie might have "stayed and been disruptive" (your words). I'll take your word for it and agree that he probably wouldn't have chosen that path. But I still say that if he had done as your words suggest, the Conductor would have been entirely within his authority to have him removed. If Amtrak were to take action against such an employee for the offense of insisting on compliance with Amtrak's clearly stated rules, that action would be roundly descried in many quarters, and I think the Conductor's job would be safe in the final analysis.

Tom

Hal ---

It is clear that the Conductor asked him to leave, and did not "kick him out" of the car. That was entirely appropriate. You suggested Christie might have "stayed and been disruptive" (your words). I'll take your word for it and agree that he probably wouldn't have chosen that path. But I still say that if he had done as your words suggest, the Conductor would have been entirely within his authority to have him removed. If Amtrak were to take action against such an employee for the offense of insisting on compliance with Amtrak's clearly stated rules, that action would be roundly descried in many quarters, and I think the Conductor's job would be safe in the final analysis.

Tom
I believe what the lady on Twitter says happened. Not the trashy tabloid website Gawker. I believe it because what she says the conductor said is exactly what any good, polite conductor would say. Word for word. And the passenger, (who happened to be Christie) acted like most passengers do who did not realize they were in the quite car when so informed by a polite conductor.

When the conductor came by to check tickets he just said "sir, this is the quiet car." CC had the same reaction as anyone:

"You're kidding. It's the quiet car? Alright" & to the phone "I gotta go, I'm in the quiet car. Call you back."

Hal ---

Tom
I said it was one of his options because some passengers when informed they are in the Quiet Car take that option. Christie has rode Amtrak trains many times, and from his demeanor when I saw him on the train I am certain he never would have took the disruptive option. He was always respectful of the train and crew.

I don't know why you bring up that there are Conductors that would have removed Christie if he had been disruptive. That meant continued to use his phone. As I said I don't think he is that type. However since you brought it up..........if I were an Amtrak conductor who wanted to make it to retirement there is no way I would have thrown Christie off the train. That is not how management would want it handled, not only if it were Christie, but in general with any passenger.
I would beg to differ, having seen one conductor threaten to throw off a disruptive passenger (in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico) and another time actually have Amtrak police board and remove a passenger at Wilmington.

So conductors do have the authority and do exercise it.

That said, Christie is to politic to have made too big a scene.

But I still say that if he had done as your words suggest, the Conductor would have been entirely within his authority to have him removed. If Amtrak were to take action against such an employee for the offense of insisting on compliance with Amtrak's clearly stated rules, that action would be roundly descried in many quarters, and I think the Conductor's job would be safe in the final analysis.

Tom
Amtrak wants conductors to request passengers be quiet in the quiet car. That is it.

The Post has apparently amended their headline, but the URL still says "yelling."
Interesting. I must admit, I did not look at the URL.

www.w-post.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2015/10/25/chris-christie-mistakes-amtraks-quiet-car-for-the-yelling-car/

Hal ---

Tom

I would beg to differ, having seen one conductor threaten to throw off a disruptive passenger (in the middle of nowhere in New Mexico) and another time actually have Amtrak police board and remove a passenger at Wilmington.

Yes, but how were they being disruptive? Not being quiet in the Quiet Car is not the same as being drunk, obscene, and worse. You have to use common sense. You only want to call the police and remove a passenger for major trangessions.

Hal ---

Tom

Yes, but how were they being disruptive? Not being quiet in the Quiet Car is not the same as being drunk, obscene, and worse. You have to use common sense. You only want to call the police and remove a passenger for major trangessions.
There was that woman put off the Coast Starlight. The claims were that she was talking nearly nonstop for 18 hours, although I'm thinking there must have been some times where there was no signal.

Granted - I was on the CS coming from Seattle at about 10 PM in coach. Almost everyone in the car was trying to sleep, but someone came over and was having a fairly loud conversation for about half an hour with another passenger. I was hoping they would stop it quickly, but I wasn't in the mood to be confrontational about it.

From what I can tell Christie did just fine with this situation. Hell, he was probably running late getting to the station (I say this as someone who once barely made the Cap and was literally running down the steps into Union Station because traffic on I-95 was a mess). As soon as he realized where he was he apparently got off the phone, changed cars, and presumably resumed the call once in the cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back