Choices, choices, choices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
We are thinking about our next Amtrak trip (absolutely fantastic and well worth the effort and money!). Last spring we went to NYC from SEA return on the EB and the LSL. Last autumn we went from LAX to SEA on the CS(a terrific trip but too short, Vandenburg AFB was a treat). We want to go back to Chicago but, since we’ve done the EB, we’d like to depart from California but are undecided as to the route(s) to take.

Our choices are (as far as we know): LAX to New Orleans, with a lay over, then to CHI via the CNO and returning via either the CZ or the SWC.

We could switch it up and return via the CNO/SSL but do the other routes have anything over the other that would help us make the decision for us (direction of travel, stops/vistas on the way, time of day, etc., etc.

Your advice on our choices would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Agreed. The California Zephyr has some of the most spectacular scenery, arguably the best visible from Amtrak, particularly between Denver and Grand Junction and again between Reno and Sacramento.

I might suggest taking the SL/TE between LAX and CHI eastbound. (Book #422 and you can sleep on the train during the overnight stop in SAS.) And the CZ westbound, staying in either SAC or EMY and then catching the CS to LAX the next morning!

And the CZ westbound, staying in either SAC or EMY and then catching the CS to LAX the next morning!
My favorite station for this scenario is Davis, CA. A small but busy station in a very pleasant downtown. A nice, reasonable motel is only 4 blocks away.

I just got off the CZ last week from Chicago to Emeryville (the whole length). I can't say enough about it. The scenery is just spectacular. The entire 2nd and 3rd day is constant beautiful scenery. The crew was great, the ride smooth (and early), train comfortable and clean, and the food was good. I highly recommend it!

I'll be writing a trip report soon.

:lol:

We are thinking about our next Amtrak trip (absolutely fantastic and well worth the effort and money!). Last spring we went to NYC from SEA return on the EB and the LSL. Last autumn we went from LAX to SEA on the CS(a terrific trip but too short, Vandenburg AFB was a treat). We want to go back to Chicago but, since we’ve done the EB, we’d like to depart from California but are undecided as to the route(s) to take.

Our choices are (as far as we know): LAX to New Orleans, with a lay over, then to CHI via the CNO and returning via either the CZ or the SWC.

We could switch it up and return via the CNO/SSL but do the other routes have anything over the other that would help us make the decision for us (direction of travel, stops/vistas on the way, time of day, etc., etc.

Your advice on our choices would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:
:hi: I've really got to recomment taking the Zephyr, at least once. We've done it eastbound from EMY to CHI, and it was great.

We're doing it again this fall westward, from CHI to EMY just to see if Amtrak's improved on it. :lol:

We've been on the City of New Orleans both ways, and we also really liked that train. The passengers on that train are really fun, and quite different than the passengers on most other trains. It really IS "lessez le bon temps rouler." :cool:

As for the Chief, we found that train to be pleasant, but nothing spectacular. It's nothing like the Starlight, the Builder, the City, or the Zephyr. Nice train, but... :unsure: That would be your call. <_<

Never too much but cash and time would be the deciding factor. I also forgot to mention that, although we could depart from LAX or EMY/OAK, we are actually leaving from Vancouver, Canada via the Cascades then the Starlight or to LAX on a repo cruise in the fall. :hi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back