Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
At one time Chicago Union station consisted of two buidlings, the platforms and the waiting room. Now the platforms are under an office building across from the station and the waiting areas are within the platform area. The station Grand Hall now serves no purpose. I don't recommend tearing it down, as had been suggested, but what better use could be made of it?

Why not remove the small crowded waiting areas in the platform area and use the Grand Hall instead as was intended?

People congregate in the waiting areas by the gates because that is where they can here the announcements, and ultimtely line up to board trains. I intensely dislike the waiting area by the gate, and usually travel first class to avoid it.

Before the remodel, which occurred in the early 90s', there were no seats in the gate area, but passengers lined up there creating a jam. So in some ways the new set up is better.

A real nice restaurant would be a great ideal for the great hall.

National Limited said:
So then is it inaccessable to the public or just a room to walk through on the way to some place else?
It's just a big empty room to walk through and admire. There are a few payphones in there and Amtrak status boards I believe but that is it.

A Traxx restaurant (the fine dining establishment at Los Angeles Union Station) would be perfect in that Great Hall.

There are also still benches to sit on in the great hall. However, they are mainly used by people who are very early for their METRA trains or they are used by the homeless.

The great hall is too far away from the Amtrak gates and there are no announcements made there for trains, to be of any use to the Amtrak traveler.

Granted right now, while the Metropolitan lounge is being refurbished, the great hall is probably seeing more use than it has in years. But that will end in September when they finish the refurb of the lounge.

I have been through Union Station many times and never noticed the Grand Hall. Not that I ever had time to seek it out, but where is it located?

Guest said:
I have been through Union Station many times and never noticed the Grand Hall. Not that I ever had time to seek it out, but where is it located?
If you are facing the Amtrak ticket windows, turn to your right and walk up the slight ramp. You'll pass the METRA ticket windows on your right, and the checked luggage receiving room with lockers on your left. Still walking straight ahead, you'll enter the short corridor that leads to the great hall.

While on the subject of Chicago's Union Station I have a question. Where can one leave their belongings for a day while exploring the city, or in my case riding trains? Are there still luggage lockers or do you leave your bags at the checked baggage counter?

Last I knew, which was back in February, the lockers in the station were still in use. The lockers are next to and in the same area where one goes to retrieve checked luggage.

One cannot leave your bag for the day with the baggage check-in counter, like you can do in many other stations.

However if you are traveling in a sleeper, then you can still put your bags in the small locked room on your right as you enter the south waiting area. This is free, other than perhaps tipping the redcap a buck, but far less expensive than the lockers are.

AlanB said:
Guest said:
I have been through Union Station many times and never noticed the Grand Hall.  Not that I ever had time to seek it out, but where is it located?
If you are facing the Amtrak ticket windows, turn to your right and walk up the slight ramp. You'll pass the METRA ticket windows on your right, and the checked luggage receiving room with lockers on your left. Still walking straight ahead, you'll enter the short corridor that leads to the great hall.
Aloha

I have a few pictures in the Chiago photo area of Trainstations on Yahoo Groups from my vist 2 or 3 years ago.

Eric

AlanB said:
<snip>However if you are traveling in a sleeper, then you can still put your bags in the small locked room on your right as you enter the south waiting area.  This is free, other than perhaps tipping the redcap a buck, but far less expensive than the lockers are.
Metropolitan Lounge is currently in the far corner of the Grand Hall while remodeling of the old lounge is taking place. Bag storage is next to the lounge in an attended storage area.

denmarks said:
AlanB said:
<snip>However if you are traveling in a sleeper, then you can still put your bags in the small locked room on your right as you enter the south waiting area.  This is free, other than perhaps tipping the redcap a buck, but far less expensive than the lockers are.
Metropolitan Lounge is currently in the far corner of the Grand Hall while remodeling of the old lounge is taking place. Bag storage is next to the lounge in an attended storage area.
Denmarks, did they move both rooms to the great hall? There were two storage areas, one in the actual lounge and one off the south side seating area.

I'm sure that they had to move the area located in the lounge area, but I'm not sure if they moved the extra area in the south side area or not.

AlanB said:
denmarks said:
AlanB said:
Denmarks, did they move both rooms to the great hall? There were two storage areas, one in the actual lounge and one off the south side seating area.

I'm sure that they had to move the area located in the lounge area, but I'm not sure if they moved the extra area in the south side area or not.
I did not check about the old storage areas but with 2 attendants in the temp one I doubt that they could maintain a second storage area.

denmarks said:
I did not check about the old storage areas but with 2 attendants in the temp one I doubt that they could maintain a second storage area.
Well the second area was run by a redcap during the day. It was only for the night trains to the east coast after 6:00 PM that an attendant had to open the room for passengers.

When checking out the Great Hall at Chicago Union, one should take a gander at the entryway marble staircase with brass bannisters.

The final action scene in The Untouchables was filmed there, with the baby carriage bouncing down and Andy Garcia taking the kill shot.

When I board in Chicago, I always enter Union Station coming down those stairs, and walk through the Great Hall to enjoy the grandeur, and then move to the Metropolitan Lounge, which brings me back to reality.

Did they film the end of "Silver Streak", with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor at the Union Station? Its a pretty incredible scene watching that locomotive crash through the building and through the column. I always imagine that happening when I am in the Grand Hall.

Chris

saxman66 said:
Did they film the end of "Silver Streak", with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor at the Union Station? Its a pretty incredible scene watching that locomotive crash through the building and through the column. I always imagine that happening when I am in the Grand Hall.
Chris
Aloha

being a stagehand I know that many different effects were used to film the crash, such as reverse photograpgh studio mock ups and fake sets. Some were filmed at the station.

If I remember the station layout I seem to remember that a train could not have reached the great hall colums as I think the trains arive to the side of the hall.

But what the heck I was a fun movie.

saxman66 said:
Chris
The train station at the end of Silver Streak was a movie set, not a real station.

saxman66 said:
Chris
The train station at the end of Silver Streak was a movie set, not a real station.

ADMIN NOTE - This is a 2004 thread

Not true whatsoever. the finale of "Silver Streak" was filmed for real at Toronto's Union Station, not on any sets, and was done when a re-model of that section of the station was in the works. Anyone who has ever visited Union Station and been to the arrivals hall recognize exactly where that Cara gift shop existed, and the space is now occupied by another gift shop. The pillar was a mock-up, meant to resemble Chicago's station.

Last edited:
saxman66 said:
Chris

ADMIN NOTE - This is a 2004 thread

Not true whatsoever. the finale of "Silver Streak" was filmed for real at Toronto's Union Station, not on any sets, and was done when a re-model of that section of the station was in the works. Anyone who has ever visited Union Station and been to the arrivals hall recognize exactly where that Cara gift shop existed, and the space is now occupied by another gift shop. The pillar was a mock-up, meant to resemble Chicago's station.
Aloha

As stated this is a very old thread, and as I answered then, The Final Part of the film is a composite of sets, camera tricks, and a few seconds of the real Chicago Union Station. I did not work on this picture but know several who did. Most of it was filmed in Canada. At one time I had a list of locations, and effect studio work.

Last year, on our way to NYP, we tried to peek into the Grand Hall but it was occupied for a fancy dress reception. A good use for the space. On our way back we went in and saw it in all its' grandure.

Skyguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back