Chicago Union Station track rearrangement plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The through-routing capability comes with the Mail Platform Reactivation (Funded by FRA in Dec 2023). It's not a study. It's Final Design and Construction, up to $49,600,000 plus 20% local match. One platform = two tracks, though north of the platform they combine into one track. The existing concourse is not eliminated. It's not even reduced, as the mail tracks are south under the old Post Office, essentially a different concourse.

There are indeed current through-running tracks, but only one has platform access (existing concourse). So use of that track must be carefully scheduled.

The original 2012 Union Station Master Plan called for eventually making the newly-reactivated mail platform into two platforms (four tracks). No mention of that in the 2023 release.

The initial use of the newly-reactivated platform seems to be a place for commuter trains while the commuter platforms get rebuilt (Project Development, not construction, funded by FRA in the same 2023 release).

None of the Dec 2023 crop of Corridor ID selectees proposed through-running, though the capability may exist years before some new services begin running. After construction begins, I expect to see lots of ideas for through-running.

Last edited:
The through-routing capability comes with the Mail Platform Reactivation (Funded by FRA in Dec 2023). It's not a study. It's Final Design and Construction, up to $49,600,000 plus 20% local match. One platform = two tracks. The existing concourse is not eliminated. It's not even reduced, as the mail tracks are south under the old Post Office, essentially a different concourse.

There are indeed current through-running tracks, but only one has platform access (existing concourse). So use of that track must be carefully scheduled.

The original 2012 Union Station Master Plan called for eventually making the newly-reactivated mail platform into two platforms (four tracks). No mention of that in the 2023 release.

The initial use of the newly-reactivated platform seems to be a place for commuter trains while the commuter platforms get rebuilt (Project Development, not construction, funded by FRA in the same 2023 release).

None of the Dec 2023 crop of Corridor ID selectees proposed through-running, though the capability may exist years before some new services begin running. After construction begins, I expect to see lots of ideas for through-running.
Actually, in 2017, I noticed two platformed tracks on the south side of the station that joined into one which ran through to the northside. The Southwest Chief that I was riding arrived on the eastern most one of these (Track 30?). It looks like a platform had been added between it and Track 28, which then crossed the latter at track level just in front of the concourse.

In 1990, I boarded the Lake Shore Limited on the north side of the concourse, after which it passed through to the southside on its way to New York City.

Back in the late 60's, because of its length, at least during the summer, the Denver Zephyr typically arrived and departed using Track 28. In 1966, being very late, the eastbound 20 car train which I was riding had to use another platform. I was in slumbercoach SC7, which was behind the diner. Because the train was too long for the platform, the sleepers and observation car behind my car were uncoupled and brought in on another platform.

The through-routing capability comes with the Mail Platform Reactivation (Funded by FRA in Dec 2023). It's not a study. It's Final Design and Construction, up to $49,600,000 plus 20% local match. One platform = two tracks, though north of the platform they combine into one track. The existing concourse is not eliminated. It's not even reduced, as the mail tracks are south under the old Post Office, essentially a different concourse.

The Mail platforms are high level thus Metra can’t utilize them yet. That and BNSF trains would have to cross over the Amtrak tracks in order to access them. The reactivated Mail platforms likely will be used by the corridor trains using single level equipment.

The Mail platforms are high level thus Metra can’t utilize them yet. That and BNSF trains would have to cross over the Amtrak tracks in order to access them. The reactivated Mail platforms likely will be used by the corridor trains using single level equipment.
And the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal perhaps?

The Mail platforms are high level thus Metra can’t utilize them yet. That and BNSF trains would have to cross over the Amtrak tracks in order to access them.

From the grant description: "...create interim capacity to enable reconstruction of additional existing station platform"
Suggests that METRA use would be temporary while some of their own platforms are being rebuilt (the next grant on the list). I have seen no CHIP plans to rebuild any other platforms.

I have seen nothing in the CHIP plans suggesting that the mail platform(s) must remain high-level. $49 million seems plenty to lower the platform, if desirable.

From the grant description: "...create interim capacity to enable reconstruction of additional existing station platform"
Suggests that METRA use would be temporary while some of their own platforms are being rebuilt (the next grant on the list). I have seen no CHIP plans to rebuild any other platforms.

I have seen nothing in the CHIP plans suggesting that the mail platform(s) must remain high-level. $49 million seems plenty to lower the platform, if desirable.
IMG_4991.jpegThe grant for the mail platforms doesn’t even mention Metra. There’s two grants awarded, both included platform modifications. The baggage platforms will be modified for Metra use while the Mail platforms are for Amtrak Midwest trains.

Rebuilding the Mail platforms to low level is just baseless speculation by you. There’s no evidence to support it. Most of these projects come right from the Union Station master plan, where the platforms wouldn’t be lowered.

View attachment 36304The grant for the mail platforms doesn’t even mention Metra. There’s two grants awarded, both included platform modifications. The baggage platforms will be modified for Metra use while the Mail platforms are for Amtrak Midwest trains.

Rebuilding the Mail platforms to low level is just baseless speculation by you. There’s no evidence to support it. Most of these projects come right from the Union Station master plan, where the platforms wouldn’t be lowered.

Whenever I asked anybody at Amtrak who might be in the know, I have heard that high floor trains will be moved to use the high level Mail platforms. It solves an ADA problem and allows faster loading and offloading of those trains. Until I hear something otherwise from a well documented source rather than idle speculation, my assumption is that the Amtrak folks may be right afterall.

Whenever I asked anybody at Amtrak who might be in the know, I have heard that high floor trains will be moved to use the high level Mail platforms. It solves an ADA problem and allows faster loading and offloading of those trains. Until I hear something otherwise from a well documented source rather than idle speculation, my assumption is that the Amtrak folks may be right afterall.
I’ve heard similar but they always seem to place more emphasis on the single level Midwest trains. Likely the LSL/Cardinal would use them too.

Back