Chicago Union Station Restaurants

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
Since I am arriving at 630 AM (by the time I take the subway from the airport) I need an inexpensive not fast food breakfast and also an inexpensive lunch. I am meeting my cousin for lunch so someplace we can talk. Any recomendations?

Both my husband and I always eat at the METRO DELI. The food is decent and the prices are fair. They also have a full bar. It seems that many of the railroad personnel eat there as well as local police officers. Metro Deli is located just off the Great Hall on the lower level of the station.

md.jpg

This isn't necessarily inexpensive, but I think this is one of the best deals for lunch in Chicago. It is a critically acclaimed restaurant just blocks from Union Station with a three course prix fixe lunch for $22. And an amazing wine list.

http://www.blackbirdrestaurant.com/

You can't be an AU member without eating breakfast at Lou Mitchells. For lunch I agree with Joanie Blon to try the Metro Deli for lunch. It is not only convenient but besides the dining room area in Joanie's pic, there is a sitting area that forms the traverse area between the Great Hall and Metra ticketing. At the time of day you will be there it is relatively quiet for conversations and you will never feel rushed to give up your table. If you happen to be there later, between 3;30 and 5:30, it is one of the great people watching sites as the commuters race for the Metra with a quick stop for a 'to go' drink from the very efficient bartenders in the bar.

Let me pile on for Lou Mitchell's and add that breakfast is big enough that you can combine it with lunch.

Let me pile on for Lou Mitchell's and add that breakfast is big enough that you can combine it with lunch.
Ditto for Lou Mitchells! BTW: It is Cash Only, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash! :lol:

The Deli in Union Station IS Good, for Lighter Fare Gold Coast Dogs Upstairs in the Food Copurt is Pretty Good Also! :)And the Metro Lounge has Free Soft Drinks, Coffee and usually Chips and Pretzels for Snacks plus TV, Clean Restrooms, Day Luggage Check and SLOW Internet Access Including One Really Slow PC!! Also Sort of Bossy Women Running the Place but they arent as Bad as the Brown Shirts on the Gates! :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
lou mitchells was pretty good....there is also a Corner Bakery outside (but attached to more or less) the . there is a little one inside too, but the one outside has a lot more seating.....

lou mitchells was pretty good....there is also a Corner Bakery outside (but attached to more or less) the . there is a little one inside too, but the one outside has a lot more seating.....
When in need of a meal in CUS, Corner Bakery is where we go! Quick in and out, usually take it down to the Metropolitan Lounge.

We had wanted to try Giordano's last year while waiting for the EB, but the rain was POURING down! We,also, enjoyed a sandwich from Corner Bakery ... and, also, were able to sit down and enjoy them in the lounge.

We had wanted to try Giordano's last year while waiting for the EB, but the rain was POURING down! We,also, enjoyed a sandwich from Corner Bakery ... and, also, were able to sit down and enjoy them in the lounge.
Everybody should own a rainproof/windproof bomber jacket with fold-out hood. If you're a frequent pedestrian, having one that is ANSI 107-2009 Class II or Class III compliant is even better, since the chance that a car won't see you in Safety Orange or Neon Green with large retroreflective strips all over you is pretty minimal. They aren't all that expensive, either. I sell one for $49.99 and make a pretty decent profit at that price, so I can't imagine not being able to find them at that price or close to it. Just some advice from someone who spends most of their life working outside.

Ditto for Lou Mitchells! BTW: It is Cash Only, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash! :lol:
Add me as another vote for Lou Mitchell's.

Jim, they have to be cash only it's a favorite spot of politicians. On separate occasions I saw Mayor Daley and Blago there. Would you take a check from either of those guys? :cool: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back