Chicago Union Station Metro Lounge (Snacks) Update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly wasn't talking about one for the train. That actually makes sense. I take an NER to WAS to catch the CL a couple of times a year, and someone grabbing a bag is pretty routine. But some people take 6 or 7 or whatever is out on the counter. That deprives others...

Even at the soda and water counter in CUS I've seen multiple guests re-fill personal bottles which is a major health issue.

This is why we can't have nice things! Ha.

Most modern dispensers of non carb beverages today are designed to facilitate (eliminates plastic bottles and cups) filling a bottle or container without (potentially unsanitary) contact. Carbonated beverages aren't usually encouraged because they (the container) are pressurized. Exception would be a bar or restaurant where refills or pitchers are common, but again modern design is no contact.

Most modern dispensers of non carb beverages today are designed to facilitate (eliminates plastic bottles and cups) filling a bottle or container without (potentially unsanitary) contact. Carbonated beverages aren't usually encouraged because they (the container) are pressurized. Exception would be a bar or restaurant where refills or pitchers are common, but again modern design is no contact.
Yes but the more common thing that I see, is people shoving the bottle right up to the dispenser.

Might be referring to the bottles that contain BPA in the plastic or in the liniing of metal bottles. Not too many left on the market, nobody wants them, actually banned in many places. There are also plastic bottles that are specifically designed for short term use and some of the plastics will not stand the test of time.

If they drink from a disposable cup and put it up to the nozzle to top it off or refill it, you have the same problem.
Of course, but the difference is the opening of the cup is big and wide and wide and the dispense spiggot small. Someone can stick their dirty fingers after not washing their hands on the dispenser as well. My point is people try to refill their empty bottled water bottles at the fountains and to prevent splashing all over the place, they stick was was on their mouth on the dispenser.

In Chicago last summer with so many families traveling, I saw many water bottles filled at the three selection water dispenser. Now, since everyone in the Lounge is In the Sleepers where bottled water is available, I wondered why fill so many 24oz size bottles. I didn't see anyone fill bottles at the soft drink dispenser.

Actually, Chicago gets lots of BC passengers, and people who may be connecting to coaches, coming off a sleeper. I teach some technical classes a few nights a week (keeps me from vegging out as a relatively young retiree" at a new training center built by the electrical industry, and all of the cold water dispensers were built with "bottle fillers" They even have a digital counter that says "number of bottles kept out of the landfill"

I for one am glad for the more healthy options available. Yes, I am on vacation but I still want to eat healthy when I can. I am just glad there are some healthy choices on the menu on the trains themselves.
Yes! It's nonsense that it's alright to be unhealthy because one is on vacation. Eating unhealthy food is a choice, but being on vacation is not a justification.

Eating healthy is a refreshing change, I was really surprised how you actually feel better. In the ML we saw the veggies and cheese, they looked great each time, but the line was a mile long, so we opted out. The piles on the plates would make you think no one could eat again for a week. I try to eat healthy on the train, though when on a return it can bed a challenge as things run out. The other thing is drink lots of water and skip the soft drinks.

Remember when this upgraded lounge opened a little less than three years ago? They offered substantial food, including sandwiches. I was told by an employee there that practice was halted because of people taking advantage by taking it with them. It is always a shame that a few can ruin it for the majority.

Eating healthy is a refreshing change, I was really surprised how you actually feel better. In the ML we saw the veggies and cheese, they looked great each time, but the line was a mile long, so we opted out. The piles on the plates would make you think no one could eat again for a week. I try to eat healthy on the train, though when on a return it can bed a challenge as things run out. The other thing is drink lots of water and skip the soft drinks.
I'm all for healthy eating on normal days, but when I'm on vacation I think it's fine to indulge one's self a bit.

Remember when this upgraded lounge opened a little less than three years ago? They offered substantial food, including sandwiches. I was told by an employee there that practice was halted because of people taking advantage by taking it with them. It is always a shame that a few can ruin it for the majority.
I visited the new lounge less than a month after it opened. What is offered today resembles what was offered then. It must have been this "substantial food, including sandwiches" lasted only a few weeks. This is the first I've seen anything of the sort being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also I also hoard the packets in the CA. And I’m not the only one.

Whenever they restock the snacks in the NYP Club Acela, within 5 minutes (if lucky) it is empty. The reason is that most people grab 2-4 packs and put them in their bags.

I for one am glad for the more healthy options available. Yes, I am on vacation but I still want to eat healthy when I can. I am just glad there are some healthy choices on the menu on the trains themselves.
I don't mind healthy choices being added but I also want some of the good choices that are now missing.
default_tongue.png

. . . I've seen multiple guests re-fill personal bottles which is a major health issue.
Is this really true, or just a hypochondriac myth?
Well... If someone drinks out of a water bottle, and then brings that same water bottle up to the top of a drink dispenser nozzle... I can't see how that's not a health issue.

Maybe there's been a study on it? Ha

I think during the couple weeks or so of the grand opening, Amtrak had hot snacks, an enhanced offering. I remember seeing a few photos, but once the Grand Opening was over I think the offering became similar to what is offered now.

I think during the couple weeks or so of the grand opening, Amtrak had hot snacks, an enhanced offering. I remember seeing a few photos, but once the Grand Opening was over I think the offering became similar to what is offered now.
That could be. I was there only about a month after the opening....I killed two birds with one stone, rode in the dome car on the Pere Marquette and visited the new metro lounge for the first time. The only difference in the offerings was that the wine was complimentary. Actually come to think of it, the adult beverage menu is new.....plus inconsistently chocolates are offered. I didn’t see any when I was there in February but when I was waiting for the LSL in October, I was offered three.

Back