Chicago Union Station Bar options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
I have not changed trains at CUS in a while now, all my trips have begun, or ended there, so haven't been in the new Met Lounge. I rarely used the old met, as it was too crowded, and tough to navigate through the oxygen tanks and 80lb suitcases all over the floor. My usual hangout until train time was the Metro Deli, which I understand closed a while back. I'm going to be flying into O'Hare , then leaving on the SW Chief for LA in a few weeks. Is there another bar in Union Station now? I see the Legacy Club has complementary beer and wine, but only until 2, which leaves an hour to kill before boarding. Would prefer to find a place to camp out, and have a few pints. Any options without having to go across the street to the Metra station on Madison or outside and down the street? Familiar with the area, and options around, asking specifically about within Union Station.

And, if nothing else, the comp beer and wine at the Legacy Club is worth the $20 admission, is it better than the regular new Met Lounge? Have not yet been to either. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a bar on the food court level. I've sat there a couple of times for drinks. It's called The Junction Pub and has food, drinks, and TVs to keep you occupied.

I would suggest you give the new Metropolitan Lounge a try if you are in a sleeper. Much larger and I've not noticed 80 lb oxygen tanks or bags blocking the floor. In fact the actual lounge beyond the check in room is now managed and operated by consultant contractors not Amtrak employees. They also have a complimentary wine around 12:30 PM along with a veggie snack bar. Soft drinks, coffee, and cappuccino beverages are available all hours. There is a bar in the food court level. Incidentally, you are not allowed to bring food into the Met Lounge. and they no longer put out pastries and salty bag snacks.

By the way, the new Met Lounge is across from where the old deli you that closed. Hopefully, you will be impressed with the upgrades throughout the Union Station especially the area around and including the Great Hall. Regular(non priority) coach passengers now board from the Great Hall.

The Junction is definitely not bad. Good beer selection and even though it is in the dungeon-like concourse area I like it better than the old Metro Deli. Can get pretty crazy busy during the late afternoon weekday rush hour. It is surprisingly bigger than it looks from the outside, for the longest time I thought it was just the bar in the food court area but there is much more than that. But if you get a spot at the bar it's the best for people watching if that's your thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back