Chicago to New Orleans Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

So we got back from our trip on Monday and all in all it went well. On the way there the train left on time and got in about a half hour early. The family bedroom was fine and I guess the food was ok but probably because I wasn't expecting much. We brought extra water and snacks. My daughter did start to get a bit antsy after breakfast. The ride was very rocky and I woke up a few times thinking the train was going to go off the tracks - lol. Our SCA was Rion and he was great. On the way back, however, was a bit of a different story. We were scheduled to leave NOLA on October 8th but received an automated message on the 6th saying that the train was cancelled due to TS Nate. I called customer service and they informed me that the train would be originating from Jackson, MS and that no alternate travel arrangements would be provided. So we ended up leaving NOLA a day early :( and driving to Jackson, spending the night and getting on the train there. After all that, Nate didn't even hit NOLA. So I have contacted Amtrak to be compensated for the $75 Enterprise fee for having to leave the car in Jackson rather than NOLA and gas. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, to do in Jackson. Anyway, we got to the station (no lounge) and the train left on time and got into Chicago early as well. Our SCA was Kevin and he was nice too although we didn't have much interaction with him. I didn't sleep well because of all the rocking. On the plus side, we didn't have to check any of our baggage and just grabbed everything from luggage storage when we got in.

I would do another Amtrak trip depending on the route. I wish they would upgrade the food and if you are traveling "first class" have actual first class diner and viewing car (and bathrooms). If Amtrak wants more riders they need to up their service. And although the CONO ran on time, they need to work on their delays on other lines. Perhaps all wishful thinking....

Back