Chicago to Madison

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking the 8965 or 8967 bus from Chicago to Madison soon (after getting of the Texas Eagle from Dallas), but am not familiar with Van Gilder. What can I expect on the trip, which appears to be less than three hours?

The Van Galder is a pretty civilized operation for a bus. It's only problem is that it can fall victim to Chicago traffic, leaving you plenty of time to watch flights from O'Hare and the CTA blue line

I think it still leaves from Jackson & Canal

A bus is a bus and will always be a bus. At times, it takes an hour just to get to O'hare on the Kennedy Expressway during rush hours. So, avoid this trip between 3 and 6 P.M. on Weekdays.

IF you want flexibility in Madison, rent a car and drive there. I dont think there is much in the way of public transportation there.

For the size of town, the public transit is not too bad. If your staying around downtown you'll be fine. The transit system seems to be built around the needs of the students at UW. If you need to get out to the ring and do stuff then you'll need a car. But then again if you need to go out to the 'burbs, just stay in the town you're in 'cause it's all the same. :p

And unless Mayor Daley's built some rental only lanes on the 95 you'll be in the same traffic as the bus. but if you do rent a car remember your change 95 is a toll road.

Have fun in Madison, watch out for the tube tops.

This will work great.

I periodically have to go to Madison to teach a short course for the university in a downtown hotel. Last time I did it, I went by air and rented a car; an expensive hassle. Seeing as how I live less than a block from the tracks in Dallas (yes, I hear the trains all night), The Texas Eagle to Chicago and the bus to Madison will afford me portal-to-portal service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back