Chicago to L.A. Round trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this year I got some great feedback on newbie train riding questions.. I have now booked my first trip and thought I would ask about the cars and consist of the train.

I will be in a Superliner Roomette Car 0331 room number 003 is this a good room to be in? I have researched and found it is on the upper level.

On the way back I will be in a Superliner Roomette Car 0430 room number 14 which I believe is on the lower level?

Any experiences in these two cars and rooms would greatly be appreciated.

Westbound, you will be one car away from the diner. Roomette 3 is one of the best roomettes, close to the center of the car so the ride is good, and away from the end doors. On the upper level, the only ones I have any dislike for are 9 and 10, since they are at the end of the car the ride can be worse, and you have the end door banging open and shut.

Eastbound you are in the car right next to the diner, and you are on the lower level. Personally, I don't care all the much for the lower level rooms, but some folks love them because they are quieter since you don't have through traffic in the hall down there. You can make up your mind on whether or not you prefer lower level rooms or upper level rooms this trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: :As was said, #3 is a Great Room! Personally Id Call Amtrak and see if you can Switch to an Upstairs Room (#3-#6 are the best Roomettes) from #14, it Shouldn't Cost More but Not All Agents Know How to Do This, ask for a Supervisor if they tell you it Cant be Done or Costs More! But opinions Vary! Weve had this thread Lots of times, use Google and Read all the Posts from Experienced Train Travelers and You Decide! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Room 14 is next to the family room, so it's possible that there could be rambunctious children next to you. Other times, it can be quite quiet on that lower level, and as others have said, you can then make your own decision about whether you prefer upper or lower level roomettes.

Personally, I suggest since this is your first sleeper ride, I would leave the reservation as it is so you can experience both and decide which you prefer. There is no GREAT difference in either IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back