Chicago to East Lansing Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

she1212

Hi. I am considering taking the train from Chicago to East Lansing when I visit later in the year. Can anybody tell me how reliable this service is and also if it is safe for a solo female traveller? Thanks

I use the Chi- Ann Arbor route several times a year...in fact heading that way next Thurs. Always runs pretty close to on time. Got caught in the Thanksgiving crush in Nov and even with the crowds we were only about an hour late into Ann Arbor.

A very safe route for female traveling alone. Train is usually at least 3/4 full... good safety in numbers. I have never witnessed any kind of incident on this route.

I am going to a annual conference in Lansing at the 'old holiday inn' not sure what they call it now, in April.

Will go from Indianapolis to Lansing via CHI. I thought about this last year, and inquired at the hotel about transportation to and from the station -

"No Problem, call us when you get in and we will send someone to get you"

That's what I like to hear, AND the best part is I dont have to drive or fly!

I travel very frequently (now almost exclusively via Amtrak) and have encountered no unpleasantries as a solo female train traveler.

Have a great trip

Diana

I am going to a annual conference in Lansing at the 'old holiday inn' not sure what they call it now, in April.

Will go from Indianapolis to Lansing via CHI.

Diana
Aloha

What part of April, I hope to go to east Lansing at the end of April from Vegas. Might we be traveling at the same time?

Will go from Indianapolis to Lansing via CHI.

Diana
Aloha

What part of April, I hope to go to east Lansing at the end of April from Vegas. Might we be traveling at the same time?
Oops... April is Wisconsin Dells, that means Lansing is in August.

In my 'other life' my husband and I are International Powerlifting Officials for the World Assn of Bench Pressers and Deadlifts. We travel frequently to meets, all over the US. After a not so pleasant 'TSA Pat-down" last year coming out of Vegas, I vowed never to fly on a plane again! So we started traveling via Amtrak in late December, and so far have made trips to Wisconsin(3), Texas, and Michigan.

Speaking of Vegas, (we go to RENO this year in Oct/Nov) we go back to Vegas next year 2012, what is the best way to travel via train, etc. to Vegas?? We would basically originate out of CHI. THANKS! Hope to run into you someday!

Diana

Diana, There is no direct Amtrak to Las Vegas anymore. In my opinion when coming from the east the SWC to Kingman AZ and Ambus to Vegas is the best route.

Many of us here long for the Desert Wind to return.

No train to Vegas? Figure that decision out!

Diana, There is no direct Amtrak to Las Vegas anymore. In my opinion when coming from the east the SWC to Kingman AZ and Ambus to Vegas is the best route.

Kingman is OK, we used to do a meet in Laughlin, NV so I am fairly familiar with that area.

We could do AMbus, or maybe just rent a car for the cost of Ambus.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Diana

Kingman is OK, we used to do a meet in Laughlin, NV so I am fairly familiar with that area.

Diana
Aloha

The SWC from and to the east at Kingman works using the AMvan for one reason only it connects to the Vegas Airport, even it the times are not great. Going west, as best I remember is an 16 hour wait. The Desert wind would be so fantastic. 2 miles from my house to where the Vegas station, and about 6 miles from the Fullerton station to my daughters house.

WY Tin Man, from your comment you live in Vegas? If so what part, how long, Did you ever use the Desert wind?

Mahalo

Eric

Diana
Aloha

The SWC from and to the east at Kingman works using the AMvan for one reason only it connects to the Vegas Airport, even it the times are not great. Going west, as best I remember is an 16 hour wait. The Desert wind would be so fantastic. 2 miles from my house to where the Vegas station, and about 6 miles from the Fullerton station to my daughters house.

WY Tin Man, from your comment you live in Vegas? If so what part, how long, Did you ever use the Desert wind?

Mahalo

Eric

Eric, No I don't live in Vegas. I'm in southern Wyoming.

Yes I've taken the Desert Wind. When I was in the service I took the Zephyr - Pioneer - Desert Wind, home to visit my parents. I was mostly stationed on the west coast and Asia so those routes served me best.

The comment is from a tourism perspective. You can take a train to the "Disneys". But for Grown-ups (Vegas) Amtrak says "you can't get there from here".

That is a decision I will never understand.

I see no problem for a single female traveler going to East Lansing. Usually, there is a pretty good crowd on that train and lots of people get off there. The station is across the street from the Michigan State campus so there is lots of traffic in the area. Taxis should not be a problem if so desired. As someone said, hotels will normally send transportation if asked for. I would check first. As for reliability of the train, that is a crap shoot (for those talking about Reno or Vegas). It can be close to on time or 3-4 hours late. Every time I have ridden it, it has been about an hour late. Still a wonderful way to travel, however. I'll take a train any time. I HATE flying and have not done it since 1987. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back