Chicago Station Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George

The family will be taking a weeklong trip on the EB this July orginating from and returning to CUS. The CUS lot is convenient but seems expensive ($20/day) for seven days. Online sites (ParkingPanda and ParkWhiz) list cheaper alternatives within half a mile or so but most are described as "surface lot, unattended." Will vandalism/theft be issues in such lots? Anyone having any other parking suggestions?

All parking in downtown Chicago is "expensive". (Read $ 6.50 per hour at parking meters). I would not recomend any surface lot for that length of time.

So at $ 20 per day the CUS parking is relatively "inexpensive". If that rate is for the garage, Then it should be as safe as any public parking garage can be.

I have parked there overnight with no issues.

Depending which direction you are coming from you may want to check out either O'Hare or Midway parking lots.

There are a number of private lots that that offer parking at $ 12 or less per day.

You could then ride the Blue line in from O hare or Orange line from Midway, or take a taxi if there are more than two of you.

We've driven in a couple of times for LD trips (that leave at night) and, although we've investigated other parking options, always use the CUS lot.

The price has gone up to (I think) $25/day or so, our 7 day plus extra hours trip cost $185 in parking.

The convenience is worth it, imo.

Depending on where you are coming from you may want to park in the suburbs and take Metra in. Suburban parking should be much cheaper than Loop parking. Better yet have a friend shuttle you to and from the Metra station and leave the car at home. That's good free parking :)

Thanks to all who responded. We'll probably go with the CUS garage. For everyone's information on a prepaid basis through ParkWhiz.com that can still be had for $20/day.

Look into the Quincy Garage. It's just across the street from the Clinton Street side of Union Station. We used it last year when we were parking at the station for a four day weekend. It was fine and they were less expensive than the alternatives.

I just checked their rates on ParkWhiz and got a total of $44 prepaid, arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving the same time of day on Monday afternoon.

Quincy Garage550 W. Quincy St., Chicago, IL 60661

Look into the Quincy Garage. It's just across the street from the Clinton Street side of Union Station. We used it last year when we were parking at the station for a four day weekend. It was fine and they were less expensive than the alternatives.

I just checked their rates on ParkWhiz and got a total of $44 prepaid, arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving the same time of day on Monday afternoon.

Quincy Garage550 W. Quincy St., Chicago, IL 60661
Thanks!

Another awesome find.

I just input a week into ParkWhiz and it was only $88 - woot!

This is the info from ParkWhiz:

This is an indoor, covered parking garage located on Quincy Street between Jefferson and Clinton. Near Union Station, Metra building, and IIT campus.

This garage offers full-service valet parking at its finest.

You will be required to leave your keys.

The Garage closes and will be locked daily at 10:00 PM.

I have no idea where you're coming from, but we often park at one of the South Shore stations in Indiana and take the South Shore in. South Shore parking is free, and the train tickets are really cheap. I think we paid $7 each last time.

From the terminus in Millennium Park, it's a nice walk (or a short bus ride) to Union Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back