Chicago - St. Louis Lincoln Corridor to begin higher speed running

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The old Merchant's bridge has been replaced. ''The new one allows 2 trains at once and is much faster. The ~~ 20 miles from the bridge to Alton is jammed up with slow RR crossings scheduled for about 35 - 40 minutes. Maybe a 110 MPH (~10 minutes) viaduct over all the various RRs would speed up all trains.

The old Merchant's bridge has been replaced. ''The new one allows 2 trains at once and is much faster. The ~~ 20 miles from the bridge to Alton is jammed up with slow RR crossings scheduled for about 35 - 40 minutes. Maybe a 110 MPH (~10 minutes) viaduct over all the various RRs would speed up all trains.
I understand it has been sped up to the blazing speed of 22mph! :D It used to be 5mph as I understand it ;)

Clearly, the existing 110 mph route between Chicago and Springfield, via Normal (and Dwight), would be retained. In fact, it should be double-tracked, which would unlock the right to run 8 daily trains, per the agreement with UPRR.

It ought to come with the right to run about 20, even if only 8 of the slots would be used right away.

A well-scheduled nearly-level double track line has a shockingly high capacity, if dispatched well. I watched trains whiz past every 5 or 10 minutes on double track, so many places in Europe last fall...

Plenty of trains whiz past Dwight -- but most of them are freight trains. Or when I'm driving N to the next county through the next town N of me (Mazon), there are double freight tracks there, and I have sometimes had to wait for a good 15 minutes at least for not 1, but 2 freight trains to go through the crossing there -- 1 train in each direction.

Plenty of trains whiz past Dwight -- but most of them are freight trains. Or when I'm driving N to the next county through the next town N of me (Mazon), there are double freight tracks there, and I have sometimes had to wait for a good 15 minutes at least for not 1, but 2 freight trains to go through the crossing there -- 1 train in each direction.
I'm not. But some call that a whistle stop. 😏

Back