Chicago South Shore Line - Which Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is going to take the City of New Orleans from Chicago. What South Shore Commuter Train stations is closet to the Chicago Amtrak station, I believe its Union Station? Is the South Shore Line pretty reliable as far as staying on schedule?

She is looking forward to the City of New orleans overnight I heard its the best when it comes to dining car and sleeper accomidations.

Thanks

When I went to South Bend, IN on the South Shore, I took a 5 minute cab ride from Union Station to Milleneum station on Michigan Ave. I could have walked there, but my connection was too tight.

I don't know the details; but the CoNO timetable lists Homewood, IL (METRA/IC Line) as the last stop before Union Station. The South Shore website lists Homewood as a station. I don't know if the IC line and SS use the same station or not.

The South Shore (NICTD) Van Buren Street station is slightly closer to Chicago Union Station than is the Millennium Station. That's for walking. To grab a cab or bus, though, Millennium station is probably more convenient. In my very limited experience the South Shore is pretty good at timekeeping, but for making an Amtrak connection I'd allow extra time as a cushion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Millennium (Randolph St.) is the best bet to catch a cab or the CTA Route 151 bus. Van Buren Street is closer for walking (just head west on Jackson St.) South Shore's timekeeping is pretty good, but allow enough time to get to Union Station. South Shore does not come anywhere near Homewood.

As an alternative, a Metra Electric train could be taken from Millennium or Van Buren to Homewood, where the Metra and Amtrak platforms are adjacent and there's a staffed Amtrak station with indoor seating, but its probably best just to make your way across downtown Chicago to Union Station.

As an alternative, a Metra Electric train could be taken from Millennium or Van Buren to Homewood, where the Metra and Amtrak platforms are adjacent and there's a staffed Amtrak station with indoor seating, but its probably best just to make your way across downtown Chicago to Union Station.
Especially since the OP implies the daughter will be in sleeping accommodations, which would increase the benefits of catching the train at Union Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back