Chicago San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julesmail

Hi

I wish to go by train from Chicago to San Francisco.

What is the difference between the Zyphir and the 27 Empire Builder ?

Thanks Julesmail

The Zephyr is a direct train from Chicago to San Francisco. The Empire Builder will bring you to Portland or Seattle , from where you need another train the Coast Starlight to San Francisco. That mean double cost... and more days.

if you want you can ride the Zephyr here already free of charge.... ;-) http://www.kaemena360.com/home/amtrak-superliner.html fast internet recommended.

The Zephyr is a direct train from Chicago to San Francisco. The Empire Builder will bring you to Portland or Seattle , from where you need another train the Coast Starlight to San Francisco. That mean double cost... and more days.

if you want you can ride the Zephyr here already free of charge.... ;-) http://www.kaemena360.com/home/amtrak-superliner.html fast internet recommended.

Fine, Thanks for the answer and very interesting link.

The California Zephyr will get you directly from Chicago to Emeryville, CA. Emeryville is just across the bay from San Francisco, and Amtrak will provide a short bus ride over the Bay Bridge into the city. The trip is 3 days and 2 nights.

Train 27 is referring to the Empire Builder. That train goes from Chicago to Portland, OR. From there you'll switch trains, and go south to Emeryville and catch same shuttle bus to San Fran. This trip is 3 days and 3 nights. So one extra night to get there.

Either case, buses meet the train to take you over to San Fran. There are several stops in San Fran, but make sure you make your reservation to go all the way into San Fran., and you can get off wherever you need to. The Ferry Building is where there is an Amtrak ticket office, and the place to stop if you have checked luggage.

The California Zephyr will get you directly from Chicago to Emeryville, CA. Emeryville is just across the bay from San Francisco, and Amtrak will provide a short bus ride over the Bay Bridge into the city. The trip is 3 days and 2 nights.

Train 27 is referring to the Empire Builder. That train goes from Chicago to Portland, OR. From there you'll switch trains, and go south to Emeryville and catch same shuttle bus to San Fran. This trip is 3 days and 3 nights. So one extra night to get there.

Either case, buses meet the train to take you over to San Fran. There are several stops in San Fran, but make sure you make your reservation to go all the way into San Fran., and you can get off wherever you need to. The Ferry Building is where there is an Amtrak ticket office, and the place to stop if you have checked luggage.

Thanks for the info and mention on the bus.

When shall I make the reservation ? In the train ?

I will have checked luggage, so I will have to stop at the Ferry Building ?

Do you think I can buy my ticket in France ?

Thanks for the info and mention on the bus.

I will have checked luggage, so I will have to stop at the Ferry Building ?

Do you think I can buy my ticket in France ?
No, you reserve it all when you make the reservation - and there should be no extra charge for the bus. The bus is operated by Amtrak only for Amtrak passengers! If the train arrives late, the bus will wait for the train!

You do not necessarily have to stop at the Ferry Building on the way in to San Francisco, as all the bags are carried in the bus in the luggage compartment under the bus. However, upon departure, if you have any checked luggage, you should start from the Ferry Building only. (All other stops are streetside bus stops only.).

A travel agent in France should be able to reserve and ticket your Amtrak trip!
smile.gif
You can reserve your Amtrak trip up to 11 months in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take a sleeper, you will have shower access and free meals. No Wi-Fi on long distance trains except Coast Starlight (sleeper only). If you take the EB, you must tranfer to the CS at Portland. Check out trainweb for travelogues and information of Amtrak trains. Get route guides, shchedules, and dining car menus at the official Amtrak site. Clicxk on the Routes tab and scroll till you find your train.

Have a nice trip!

You can't get on the train unless you already have a reservation.

It's not like SNCF, SBB or anything typical of Europe. With Amtrak, you should reserve as early as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back