Chicago Metropolitan Lounge and business class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eee

Train Attendant
I know business class passengers are entitled to use the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, and I frequently do so.

But here's my question:

I frequently take day trips to Chicago on the Illinois Service. If I arrive in the morning on business class from STL, then depart on coach that evening headed back to STL, am I still entitled to use it?

If so, could I get early boarding into my coach seats from the lounge (assuming I had arrived earlier that day in business class)?

Previously, I've always had business class both arriving and departing, so I never had the chance to test this scenario out. On an upcoming trip, however, business class is sold out for the return trip from CHI to STL.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have no problem. When returning from long distance trips (rooomette) I always take coach class to get back home to Michigan. When they announce the Wolverine I follow the group, most of which go Business Class, and keep walking to the coach car. When the attendant looks at my ticket when first entering Metropolitan Lounge they never comment on the fact not taking Business Class.

I know that the rules clearly state that you are entitled to the ML if you arrive or depart with a sleeper anytime during the calendar day. I doubt BC is any different. In that case you would get whatever is meant by early boarding.

Early boarding to me means going out the back door of the lounge and around to the tracks before gate attendants let anyone else onto the tracks from the main waiting room. But my experience is that they simply announce your train early and tell you to go to the main waiting area. You then plow your way thru the hoards when they announce BC, seniors, and passengers with children.

If they tell you leave the Lounge ( it depends on the attendant on duty) and go to the cattle pens to board, grab a Red Cap and hop on the cart right outside the Lounge door.

Youll cruise out to the platform ahead of the thundering hurd in the looooong lines waiting to board the Coaches.

Great investment of a few dollars!

I can't say weather you would be entitled to use the lounge or not. Like others have said the rules are a little vague.

If you were allowed, you should be able to just board out the back door with the business class passengers and then just hop the appropriate coach car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back