chicago layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mike d

I'm taking the Texas Eagle to Chicago and the California Zephyr to Davis, Ca. Need information about hotels near union station in Chicago.

I'm not aware of any hotels that are really close to Union Station, although there may be one or two. However, there are plenty near to public transportation.

On Track On Line is having a train fest that includes one night in Chicago. One of the leaders for that fest has prepared a list of hotels that are within a block or two of a train. You can find that list here.

AlanB said:
I'm not aware of any hotels that are really close to Union Station, although there may be one or two. However, there are plenty near to public transportation.
My advice is not to consider public transportation traveling from the Amtrak station to a downrown hotel. You can ride from the station to any downtown hotel in a cab for about $4 to $8. It cost either $1.50 or $1.75 now just to climb on a bus or EL, plus the headache of figuring out which route and hauling your baggage with you. Taxi cabs in Chicago are the best by far of any major city I have visited. Clean cabs, with decent and fair drivers.

Any hotel in downtown Chicago is nice, just stay with a name brand hotel! Get yourself a AAA tourbook of Illinois. Any AAA approved hotel is perfectly fine to stay at. There isn't really any hotels within walking distance of the station. If you get a hotel for $150 per night, consider that a good price in downtown Chicago. There is 3 hotels that I can think of at the top of my head that are about 4-6 blocks south, east and north of the station. They are The Palmer House Hilton, Holiday Inn - Merchandise mart, and Holiday Inn - (?) it's on Harrison I beleave. But the 3 hotels are in business districts that become ghost towns late in the evening. North river or North Michigan Ave. neighborhoods have the most restaurants and nightlife during the evening and night.

Back