Chicago hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I will be traveling from St. Paul to Chicago on 23 Septmber 2014 and we hope to make it in time to catch the Wolverine to Dearborn. I made two separate reservations (roundtrip to and from Dearborn, and to and from Chicago and St. Paul). Given our past experience with the eastbound Empire Builder and its current lack of on-time arrivals, we may need to spend the night in Chicago and catch the next morning's Wolverine. We know that we are responsible for the hotel expence. What are the hotels the Amtrak uses when they put up passengers? What are the hotels that are close, clean, safe and relatively inexpensive?

Something to consider is to stop short in Milwaulkee, find a generally cheaper hotel there, then take one of the Hiawatha Service trains into Chicago the next day in time for the Wolverine.

BN

Something to consider is to stop short in Milwaulkee, find a generally cheaper hotel there, then take one of the Hiawatha Service trains into Chicago the next day in time for the Wolverine.

BN
This is a great idea.

Hotels in the Loop hover around $200/night. You can sometimes find one for $150, but it really depends on the day and time of year. Since the 23rd is a Tuesday, you might luck out with some decent rates.

Hotels to consider:

Club Quarters Central Loop

Holiday Inn Chicago Mart

Holiday Inn Chicago Downtown

These three are close to Union Station. Holiday Inn Chicago Mart sits right on the Brown Line (Merchandise Mart stop), which will take you to the Washington/Wells stop (elevator) and the Quincy stop (no elevator). Both stops are a half-mile from Union Station.

Amtrak has booked people at the Swissotel when a guaranteed connection is missed, but I find the rates rather prohibitive.

Also, check out the "Hotel Tonight" app. You can sometimes score a really good price at a nice hotel, especially on "off" nights like Tuesdays. I've seen $400 hotels advertising $175 rates.

The only place I've ever stayed in downtown Chicago is the Hotel Burnham. It's an amazing hotel, especially if you like old school architecture.

We've stayed at Club Quarters a few times, and as Sarah said, it's close to CUS.

With Bill's ideal, I would never thought of doing that.. I think that's a great ideal if you don't plan on doing much in CHI.

We've stayed at Club Quarters a few times, and as Sarah said, it's close to CUS.

With Bill's ideal, I would never thought of doing that.. I think that's a great ideal if you don't plan on doing much in CHI.
I stayed at the Club Quarters last year for the Gathering. If you can get a good rate, it is excellent. Close to CUS and EL and subways and plenty of places to eat close by.

If Club Quarters Central Loop is sold out, try Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan. It's close to transit but a little farther from Union Station. The bonus is that you're only a few steps from Michigan Ave, if you want to explore the "Magnificent Mile". It's also right across the river from the Wendella boat docks. I highly recommend an architecture tour if you have time.

You can catch the #151 bus on Michigan Ave, and it will take you right to Union Station, so even though the hotel is a little farther, it means less walking. It's also pretty close to the L, if you want to do even more exploring.

Sarah is The Chicago Guru, her suggestions are excellent! If you don't want to stay in the Loop the Milwaukee idea is an outstanding one!
Sarah knows, and shares, and has saved me a few hundred dollars, and a few hours of confusion! Chicago -- fairly good place.

Chicago + Sarah's advice.. "Double plus good"

The Burnham was mentioned above, which is a part of the quirkily upscale Kimpton chain. I have stayed there, as well as their other 3 hotels on the Loop. I love these hotels, but are usually pricy. Good deal in winter.

If you don't mind bunk beds with the bathroom down the hall, the HI Hostel on Congress is your cheapest option. I have stayed there several times between trains even with my wife.

My favorite HI hostel in the US is the Victorian mansion in Sacramento within walking distance of the station

If you don't mind bunk beds with the bathroom down the hall, the HI Hostel on Congress is your cheapest option. I have stayed there several times between trains even with my wife.

My favorite HI hostel in the US is the Victorian mansion in Sacramento within walking distance of the station
Most Hostels offer Private Rooms for much less than what a typical clipjoint hotel charges and if I'm traveling alone I always look into that option first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back