chicago Christmas day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks to all for replies- very intrigued with the Drake- tea is a bit pricey but may be worth the money. i also love the Deli idea, as well as the restaurants suggested. i will make a list call to make certain of open and discuss with the wife. Happy holidays to all
If you decide to wander a bit, I suggest popping into the Palmer House, if only to check out their Christmas decorations. (Plus, the lobby is incredible, not to mention the historic Peacock Door.)

They have a HUGE Christmas tree in the lobby, every mezzanine is decorated, they have even more Christmas stuff near the elevators, and the crowning jewel - a gigantic gingerbread fireplace (with chocolate mantel) near the Wabash entrance. The first time I stayed there during the Christmas season, I took about 50 pictures.

This picture is not mine, but it shows the gingerbread fireplace in all its glory.

palmer-house-GINGER1215.jpg

thanks to all for replies- very intrigued with the Drake- tea is a bit pricey but may be worth the money. i also love the Deli idea, as well as the restaurants suggested. i will make a list call to make certain of open and discuss with the wife. Happy holidays to all
The Drake is my wife’s and my favorite hotel and my wife loved the tea.

Why did you have to mention Junior's, Tim? Now I just have to walk that full three blocks to the original location and get myself one! [emoji14]
Our Juniors in Boca closed a few months ago. Frankly, I didn’t see anything special about it. Now the. Carnegie Deli, that did make me sad that it closed.

Our Juniors in Boca closed a few months ago. Frankly, I didn’t see anything special about it. Now the. Carnegie Deli, that did make me sad that it closed.
In my opinion, it’s only the original Junior’s location that makes particularly good cheesecakes. At the other locations, it’s really nothing special. Point is, the one in Boca likely was not pumping out the true, delicious Junior’s cheesecakes that this one does.

As others have posted, check with some of the grand hotels, most will have dining options on Christmas.

The Palmer House Hilton on the loop near Macy's (Marshall Fields), is another beautiful option.

Whatever you do, don't wait for dinner on the southbound CONO, the "dinner" choices are a few pre-made sandwiches, or a Caesar Salad. 

If anything enjoy an early, relaxed Christmas Dinner, you could always take one of the sandwiches on the CONO for a late snack. 

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/City-of-New-Orleans-Southbound-Tran-59-Dining-Car-Menu-1017.pdf

Palmer.jpeg

Isn’t there an oriental restaurant downtown that is open on Christmas Day and serves goose dinners?

Back