Checking up on Amtrak's (lack of) ADA compliance

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by neroden, Sep 24, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Mar 20, 2019 #51

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Aaaaaaand, Marshall TX elevator is "out of service indefinitely" as of March 8th.

Amtrak shouid know that this is illegal. I await the next round of lawsuits against them. The compliance deadline was *2010*. Amtrak hasn't even *started* work on Elko (100% Amtrak responsibility), North Philadelphia (Amtrak/SEPTA), Coatesville (Amtrak/SEPTA), Harper's Ferry (Amtrak/MARC), Parkesburg (Amtrak/SEPTA), Clifton Forge (100% Amtrak), and now it's broken Marshall (100% Amtrak). This is just basic wheelchair access, apart from other ADA issues.

I can sort of forgive SEPTA, which is in the middle of a massive wheelchair access program systemwide, but Amtrak's inability to fix/maintain the three remaining inaccessible stations which are its sole responsibility is pathetic.

I mean, probably CSX is making trouble at Clifton Forge and Harper's Ferry (so has Amtrak sued them as it has the right to do?). But it shouldn't take 12 days + "indefinitely" to repair the elevator at Marshall. Which is Amtrak's legal responsibility.

And fixing Elko is *easy*.

2. Mar 21, 2019 #52

sttom

s

sttom

Lead Service Attendant

And Nevada is *broke* and doesn't value transit.

3. Mar 21, 2019 #53

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor

Maybe they will close these stations in the future and avoid the issue entirely.

4. Mar 21, 2019 #54

GBNorman

G

GBNorman

OBS Chief AU Supporter

Roden, even though I am an able-bodied 77yo, who tries to walk two miles daily, I can respect where you are coming from. You have at many a topic noted that both you and 'significant other" have disabilities and prefer to travel by train.

My younger Sister (75) is disabled. Although she doesn't ride anybody's trains (she drives into Midtown Manhattan), she cannot walk much further than 50 yards (she was an intramural Field Hockey player at Smith). She does use airplanes to visit her Daughter (my Niece) in Australia, but she need be wheeled everywhere. I go out to see her in Greenwich. She "talks of" coming out here to Chicago, but.....

ADA notwithstanding, "it's the pits".

I hear you; and pray I remain able-bodied "a bit longer" - at least to go overseas this August to Salzburg where I walk everywhere, and even carry (no wheels) a 25 lb bag (1km Hbf to Hotel).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    neroden likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2019 #55

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

I suppose Elko deserves that.

Marshall, which paid for the elevator itself and has campaigned to retain a station agent, doesn't.

6. Sep 8, 2019 #56

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

So, update time.

The 2014 report:
    https://amtrakoig.gov/report-record...and-business-management-addressing-management

At the time, there were 17 totally inaccessible stations ("where passengers who use a wheeled mobility device cannot get on or off the train"). Two (Glenwood Springs and Westerly RI) were listed as accessible on Amtrak.com already but had serious problems.

As of January 2019, Buffalo Exchange Street NY was fixed. So were Windsor CT, Windsor Locks CT, and Windsor - Mt Ascutney VT.

As of today, Clifton Forge VA claims to have an accessible platform and a wheelchair lift. Hope it really does.

As of today, Marshall TX no longer has a "closed elevator" warning. I hope that means the elevator is open.

The following are under construction:
    Paoli PA (high platforms have opened)
    Mount Joy PA (close to done)
    Ashland VA (supposed to have started in August)
    Newark DE (platform not under construction yet AFAICT)

The following are supposed to be "in design" (but aren't funded for construction):
    Westerly RI (supposedly accessible, though highly problematic with a chairlift on stairs)
    Coatseville PA
    Parkesburg PA

The following have no reported progress:
    Glenwood Springs CO (supposedly accessible, though the route is frightening)
    North Philadelphia (elevators exist but are apparently shuttered and not maintaned due to "vandalism" -- wildly illegal)
    Elko NVHarpers Ferry WV

7. Sep 9, 2019 #57

plane2train

p

plane2train

All across the country, transit and commuter rail operators as well as Amtrak are chronically behind in fixing elevators. What’s the problem? Can they not just pick up the phone and call a contractor to come fix them the day they break down?

8. Sep 10, 2019 #58

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

It's a small thing called Money! Budgets are being cut in all areas and Amtrak is doing well to just keep the Trains running as it is!

Let your Reps know how you feel, the Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease except @ Amtrak it seems.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    sttom likes this.
  9. Sep 10, 2019 #59

trainman74

trainman74

trainman74

Conductor

Based on what I understand from ongoing elevator issues in my apartment building, it's a combination of things: 1) elevators are more complicated than most people think; 2) there is a shortage of qualified elevator repairpersons, so wait times for a service call can be long; and 3) getting replacement parts can take a long time. (Some but not all of this can be alleviated by throwing money at the problem... but see Bob Dylan's post above.)

10. Sep 11, 2019 #60

EchoSierra

E

EchoSierra

Train Attendant

Well, it depends on who made the elevator, who's servicing the elevator, and how old it is. All of these determine parts availability. I worked in a building with elevators that were close to 20 years old and the company maintaining them needed to order parts fabricated overseas, which takes at least a month.

11. Sep 12, 2019 #61

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

How old are some of these buildings. I think it's old machinery and control systems that are wore out and parts are no longer available. Repair men but a bandaid on the problem and another pops up tomorrow. Buildings are old, train equipment is old and old passengers are screwed.

12. Sep 12, 2019 #62

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Transit system elevators tend to get abused. Often they're exposed to weather and a lot of water and dirt, as well as uncontrolled temperature changes. Transit elevators are therefore supposed to be built to a much higher durability standard than other elevators. They still need to be maintained.

oregon pioneer likes this.
  13. Sep 13, 2019 #63

Griffin T. Murphey DDS

G

Griffin T. Murphey DDS

I have had two major orthopedic surgeries and am presently on a cane, I cannot do an escalator or THOUGHT I could not. Recently... Went in at Penn station’s 8th and 33rd entrance - no ekevator. My wife recruited a guy to carry my bag down and I did the steps. Stumbled around and found Club Acela. Was able to get a redcap but the ONLY way down to the trains was an escalator, I passed my cane to my wife, said a Hail Mary and did that long escalator. When we got to Boston South the conductor was able to get us a Redcap which was very nice but I still had to walk the full length of the train as there was no electric cart. He did kindly bring up a wheelchair which I was very grateful for.

14. Sep 14, 2019 #64

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

That side of NYP doesn't have elevators. They are on the opposite (7th Ave) side, or at the service walkway (former taxiway) midblock. Red Caps generally work that side (8th) and can get a wheelchair to bring you around, NYP RedCaps do carry radios to communicate with their desk in the main waiting area. That's a busy entrance, an elevator would make sense.

15. Sep 15, 2019 #65

Griffin T. Murphey DDS

G

Griffin T. Murphey DDS

I was unfamiliar with the station and the hotel guy at the Fairfield Inn recommended that entrance as it was the closest to the hotel and he “thought “ there was an elevator there. In the event it worked out. I tried calling Amtrak all the people can tell you about is “fares and schedukes..”

16. Sep 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM #66

Pat Harper

Pat Harper

Pat Harper

Lead Service Attendant

There's a phone app you can get for NYP that has a map that shows how to get from one place to another.

17. Sep 17, 2019 at 3:51 AM #67

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Hopefully the NY Penn situation will get better in 2021 when Moynihan opens. That will bring elevator entrances on the west side of 8th in *obvious* locations (the existing elevators are well hidden).