Checking Luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
We have never checked luggage before and it makes me nervous with Amtrak.

Do you think we are safe checking bags from Kansas City to New Orleans?

The only reason I might risk it is because we have such a long layover in CHI and don't want to have to lug our luggage around with us.

Does anyone know of the performance of the luggage actually arriving WITH you at your destination city?

Pretty darn good. I'd do it and not worry about it at all.

Do remember that you won't have access to the bag at any point, so make sure you have what you need with you in your carry on bag(s).

You don't have to lug your luggage with you. If you are using the Metropolitan Lounge, you can check your bags with the redcap and retrieve them when you are ready to board. Most people tip $1-2 for this service, but it's not required. They'll give you a little claim check, just like a coat check, and tell you when to come back for them.

If you decide to check your baggage, you won't have access to it during your trip, so you'll need a carry-on while on the train.

So, you can either haul everything on the train and check it with the redcap, or you can check most of it and check a couple of carry-ons with the redcap. Just remember that this isn't the same as checking the baggage onto the train. The redcap simply holds it for you until you're ready to depart.

There are also lockers available in the main waiting room of Union Station, but they don't work half the time. I'd use the redcap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm familiar with using the Metropolitan lounge in CHI, but 3 people in my party will be in coach so they won't have anywhere to "store" their luggage while we roam unless it's checked in Kansas City.

If it is just the stuff they need for while they're on the train, you should be able to take it all in the lounge and check it for them.

The stuff you won't need until you get to NOL should definitely be checked.

Yeah, the coach passengers can hand their bags to you before you check into the lounge. The redcaps don't ask if the luggage belongs to people in sleepers or coach. If you show up with four bags, they'll just think you pack a lot. ;)

I disagree with RyanS. If you CAN take it with you, I would advise to do so, unless you use hard-side cases that you don't mind getting scratched up. I've seen brand new luggage on Superliners get shredded and I've watched from Business Class on the Palmetto (due to a faulty door) bags sliding back and forth across the floor.

I'm sure I've witnessed the only two bad examples in the history of Amtrak, but I would almost rather FedEx my bags to my destination rather than see them put through the love and gentleness of Amtrak checked luggage.

I disagree with RyanS. If you CAN take it with you, I would advise to do so, unless you use hard-side cases that you don't mind getting scratched up. I've seen brand new luggage on Superliners get shredded and I've watched from Business Class on the Palmetto (due to a faulty door) bags sliding back and forth across the floor.

I'm sure I've witnessed the only two bad examples in the history of Amtrak, but I would almost rather FedEx my bags to my destination rather than see them put through the love and gentleness of Amtrak checked luggage.
Speaking of FedEx, I drove by an UPS truck making a delivery at a store. From what I could see, all the boxes in the truck were helta-skelta - tossed about. And I've seen the news stories of poor handling of FedEx boxes.

I've seen much worse happen to checked baggage on planes, but people always check bags on planes. Thus that may not hold water.

To the OP - Once you check your bags in KC, they will be transfered to the other train for you. As said, you will not have access to them until New Orleans.

Another tip would be not to have valuables (i.e. jewelry), anything that can easily be broken (i.e. electronics), or anything that is extremely difficult to replace (i.e. prescription drugs) in checked bags.

UPS at one time had great handling procedures. A friend of dad's was written up several times and was suspended for some very minor things. Today I see those things all the time and worse. It is not what it used to be.

I checked my bags from Washington DC to San Antonio Texas via Chicago with no checked baggage issue.

I then returned from San Antonio Texas to New York Penn Station via Chicago and once a no issue with my checked baggage.

I also check NYP to MIA and have never has an issue.

I would think, if one arrives at the station in plenty of time, why would one not expect the luggage that was checked from lets say NYP to NOL, to not arrive at NOL when I, the guest, arrives?

Amtrak does not deal with the multitude of departures from a city as an airline does. Plus, the luggage should stay within the confines of the station. And, if it is raining on that day of departure, the luggage ought to stay dry!

I just checked my large bag from New Orleans to Emeryville, CA, and it was right there when I got to Emeryville on a trip early August. Amtrak had to transfer my checked bag from the CONO to the CZ in Chicago--no problem. I'm 72 and it was a delight not to have to haul my bag to the sleeper car load it in the lower baggage hold in New Orleans and then take it with me to the Metropolitan Lounge and then back out to the CZ sleeper in Chicago. Amtrak also requires you to present your baggage check to pick up your luggage at the destination. They actually verify the check tag number before letting you have your bag.

As a side note, one of my stops on my recent Amtrak trips was Santa Barbara, CA. I actually witnessed two young ladies being required to fill out some very long baggage claim form as they apparently left their baggage check tag on the train in a seat pocket. Yep, Amtrak does require you present your baggage claim check and they do verify the numbers before releasing your luggage.

I've checked baggage from Richmond, VA to Oceanside, CA and did the same on the return trip to VA. I had no problems. On the return trip my checked baggage took a different routing than I did. Additionally, a situation arose which delayed our departure from CHI by almost 24 hours. When I got to Richmond, the employee at the station stated that my baggage had been their for two days. If the train I travel on has checked baggage, I usually have something checked. I've not experienced problems.

On a trip last month,we checked bags from Flagstaff to Portland via LAX and even though we arrived on a very tardy Southwest Chief at LA (20 minute layover) the luggage made onto the Coast Starlight and arrived to Portland with us. Have not experienced any lost/late luggage with Amtrak.

I've only taken 4 train trips, but I checked my luggage all of them. What with all the transfers, that was a total of 13 trains and 1 bus. Never had any problem whatsoever, either with the treatment of the luggage or its arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back