Checked Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auxplage

Train Attendant
Since my girlfriend and I are leaving from Newport News, where there is no checked baggage, I know that we shall have to take care of our luggage at least until Washington D.C.

However, there is checked baggage in D.C. and in our arrival location, Reno, NV. Thus, once we arrive in D.C., since there are four hours before we depart on the Capital Limited for Chicago, can we check our baggage so that we shall not have to worry about it for the rest of the trip?

I was confused from Amtrak's site. I know all the limitations with regards to the baggage, but since I am new to trains, I was not sure if we would be able to check the baggage in D.C.

Thanks

As long as both your departing station and arriving station offer checked baggage service, you can check your bags. Since Newport News does not offer the service, but Washington and Reno do, you could place them as checked baggage while in Washington - assuming that you have enough time between trains! (Such as if your train does not arrive until 20 minutes before the CL departs, you would not have time. But if your train arrives 3 hours before the CL departs, you would have time.)

Likewise, you could check your bag(s) from Reno to Washington, but you would have to be sure you have enough time to collect your bags in Washington before your departure to Newport News.

When you have a guaranteed connection on a trip where the last leg lacks checked baggage service, does Amtrak guarantee enough time to collect your bag? Or do they have the ability to bring your bag to your final destination on a later train, as a carry-on that you aren't present to carry until it gets to your final destination?

When you have a guaranteed connection on a trip where the last leg lacks checked baggage service, does Amtrak guarantee enough time to collect your bag? Or do they have the ability to bring your bag to your final destination on a later train, as a carry-on that you aren't present to carry until it gets to your final destination?
No, and no.

If your train is late, so late that you can't claim your luggage and still catch the next train, you will have no choice but to wait for a later train. And you'll be on your own, Amtrak doesn't have to do anything special for you, short of allowing you to apply the price of your remaining ticket to a new ticket to get home with.

It may be possible to check your luggage through to your final destination, if there is a train that has baggage service to there. Your bags, however, wouldn't arrive with you.

It may be possible to check your luggage through to your final destination, if there is a train that has baggage service to there. Your bags, however, wouldn't arrive with you.
This is true, but NPN does not offer checked baggage at all, and only 1 train to/from NPN (66/67) could, but it doesn't to NPN. Thus, it's WAS or nothing.

This is why people shouldn't hijack threads...

I was replying to Joel N. Weber II; the original poster already had the answer to his specific case.

I was replying to Joel N. Weber II; the original poster already had the answer to his specific case.
And that's why we have the quote function, so as to help avoid any confusion about where a reply was directed. :)

You know, I personally like this forums tolerance of off topicness. Makes for a more comfortable, and friendlier, atmosphere.

And that's why we have the quote function, so as to help avoid any confusion about where a reply was directed.
My reply comes right after yours; there's no need to quote.

If everyone had to quote the message to which they were replying, it would get too difficult to read.

My reply comes right after yours; there's no need to quote.
If everyone had to quote the message to which they were replying, it would get too difficult to read.
But there was a post right above your post. And in fact, it was in reply to the post right above it - and it included a quote of that question! Your post did not, so I assumed that it was not directed to that post (2 posts above your post), but to the original question! :rolleyes:

And as GML said, if you include a quote of a post, all you have to do is delete the unnecessary portions of the quote. Even if the previous post had 4 posters quoted, you can delete the unnecessary portions, and your quote may only include 3 words that the last poster said! :rolleyes: (I deleted 2 quotes from the post I was replying to!)

And as GML said, if you include a quote of a post, all you have to do is delete the unnecessary portions of the quote. Even if the previous post had 4 posters quoted, you can delete the unnecessary portions, and your quote may only include 3 words that the last poster said! :rolleyes: (I deleted 2 quotes from the post I was replying to!)
or you just click on the quote button till its red and shows a - the hit reply and it only shows the 1 post that you wanted

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back