Checked Baggage Possible From Fullerton to Bakersfield?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
Based on my findings it appears I will be able to check baggage from Fullerton to Bakersfield (BFD) for an upcoming trip via the Pacific Surfliner (to LAX) and Amtrak Thruway Bus (to BFD). Can anyone confirm this and if so, any caveats to be aware of?

To be honest, I'm not sure if they (Amtrak) would transfer the bags at LAX from the Surfliner to the Thruway bus for you or not. I know they do to/from SFC at EMY. Thus I want to say yes, but I don't know. Hopefully some who has done so can answer for certain.

To be honest, I'm not sure if they (Amtrak) would transfer the bags at LAX from the Surfliner to the Thruway bus for you or not. I know they do to/from SFC at EMY. Thus I want to say yes, but I don't know. Hopefully some who has done so can answer for certain.
They do transfer it for you.

I can confirm that they will transfer the checked baggage for you.

When you get to Bakersfield you will pick up your baggage bus side. The driver or baggage handler will check your claim check to the luggage tag on your bag.

I can confirm that they will transfer the checked baggage for you.

When you get to Bakersfield you will pick up your baggage bus side. The driver or baggage handler will check your claim check to the luggage tag on your bag.
They do transfer it for you.
Thanks for these two confirmations. There will be a hour layover on the northbound leg which should be enough time for a successful transfer from the train to the bus. On the southbound return there is only a 30 minute layover. I am a little concerned that my luggage may not make a successful transfer from the bus to the train. I might skip checked luggage on this leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for these two confirmations. There will be a hour layover on the northbound leg which should be enough time for a successful transfer from the train to the bus. On the southbound return there is only a 30 minute layover. I am a little concerned that my luggage may not make a successful transfer from the bus to the train. I might skip checked luggage on this leg.
I really wouldn't worry about it.

I checked a bag from Fresno to Denver. That involved my bag moving from a train to a bus to a train. One of those connections is just 13 minutes. My bag was waiting for me in Denver.

I once checked a couple bags form LAX to EMY on a trip via Bakersfield. The bus left around 10:00am, about the same time as the Coast Starlight does. Amtrak luckily puts on a second 'via BFD' tags to make sure your bags are routed with you! (and not for example sent via the Coast Starlight in my case). I still remember they got the checked luggage out of the bus before we had fully gotten off in BFD and they unloaded our "carry-on" bags that we wanted to take with us on the train but were too big on the bus.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

I checked a bag from Fresno to Denver. That involved my bag moving from a train to a bus to a train. One of those connections is just 13 minutes. My bag was waiting for me in Denver.
I once checked a couple bags form LAX to EMY on a trip via Bakersfield. The bus left around 10:00am, about the same time as the Coast Starlight does. Amtrak luckily puts on a second 'via BFD' tags to make sure your bags are routed with you! (and not for example sent via the Coast Starlight in my case). I still remember they got the checked luggage out of the bus before we had fully gotten off in BFD and they unloaded our "carry-on" bags that we wanted to take with us on the train but were too big on the bus.

Thanks for this information. Good to know!

As a followup, my luggage checked at Fullerton (FUL) transferred successfully in LAUS and was rerouted to the Thruway Bus going to Bakersfield (BFD). It is always a nice perk not having haul luggage.

On the return trip from BFD, checked baggage to FUL was not offered due to a short 30 minute layover.

That's interesting. I checked BFD-FUL for tomorrow and include a scan of a transfer with 30 minute bus-train connection which apparently shows the icon for checked luggage being available.

BFD-FUL.tiff

Additionally, the evening 5816-796 connection, which is only 20 minutes, also shows checked baggage available. One question would be: Does the actual availability of checked baggage service on those busses/trains vary from what is represented on the web site?

Attachments

• BFD-FUL.tiff
    119.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting. I checked BFD-FUL for tomorrow and include a scan of a transfer with 30 minute bus-train connection which apparently shows the icon for checked luggage being available.

attachicon.gif
BFD-FUL.tiff

Additionally, the evening 5816-796 connection, which is only 20 minutes, also shows checked baggage available. One question would be: Does the actual availability of checked baggage service on those busses/trains vary from what is represented on the web site?
I agree that it is interesting. The Summer Fall 2013 National timetable San Joaquin schedule does not show a checked baggage icon at Fullerton for Train 580. This is the train I took and the train you will be taking tomorrow. It sounded plausible to me that the 30 minute window was too short a layover to provide baggage services. However, as you suggested, the 20 minute window for Train 796 shows a checked baggage icon for Fullerton. Go figure.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your luggage checked to Fullerton. Frankly, a 30 minute layover is too close for comfort for me once you ride the Thruway Bus into LA during a business day in mid-afternoon. The traffic was heavy on my ride in. It was touch and go whether the arrival time was going to be made. In my case it was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back