Check in for CA Surfliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobnabq

Lead Service Attendant
On my trip next month (round trip ABQ ~ SAN) I know I need to check in for the SWC, going and coming.

On arrival in LAX, do I need check in for the CA Surfliner enroute to SAN, or just board?

On my trip next month (round trip ABQ ~ SAN) I know I need to check in for the SWC, going and coming.

On arrival in LAX, do I need check in for the CA Surfliner enroute to SAN, or just board?
You do not need to checkin. In LA, people line up for the Surfliners. However, if you just head down the tunnel, you can usually figure out what track and beat the crowds.

Also, unless you do not have your tickets or are checking bags, you do not need to checkin for the SWC, either.

FYI, did that exact trip back in 2010. Let me know if you have any more questions.

You do not need to checkin. In LA, people line up for the Surfliners. However, if you just head down the tunnel, you can usually figure out what track and beat the crowds.

Also, unless you do not have your tickets or are checking bags, you do not need to checkin for the SWC, either.

FYI, did that exact trip back in 2010. Let me know if you have any more questions.
I'm checking one bag from ABQ through to SAN (and on the way home from SAN to ABQ).

I bought my tickets sometime back around March for $120 round trip, and have watched the price on line go up and down.

I booked lower level as I'm disabled and have problems climbing up/down stairs and, as my doc would say, I have a history of falls.

thanks for your input.

I'm checking one bag from ABQ through to SAN (and on the way home from SAN to ABQ).

I bought my tickets sometime back around March for $120 round trip, and have watched the price on line go up and down.

I booked lower level as I'm disabled and have problems climbing up/down stairs and, as my doc would say, I have a history of falls.

thanks for your input.
In that case, in LA, they have a special waiting area where a Redcap will take you by cart to both your trains. They will get you down there before the main group.

Unless you luck out on your SWC and they tell you the track for your PS train, you will need to go to the waiting area and sit and wait for the announcements. I must say, for a regular waiting area and not first class, these are pretty comfortable chairs. You will see where people line up for the Surfliner. They then have you do the "Kindergarten Walk" :giggle: since they don't post the track numbers.

I think what Scott is referring to is where the people line up and then walk through the "gate" to the tunnel down to the train. However if you walk 5 feet to the right of the "gate" you can walk right down to the tunnel!
laugh.gif

One side of LAUS is the train station and the other side is the bus station - with the tunnel in between. I just walk down the tunnel until I see the sign for the "Surfliner to SAN"!
biggrin.gif
I may wait for the crowd to start walking down the tunnel before I walk up the ramp to the train!
biggrin.gif

I think what Scott is referring to is where the people line up and then walk through the "gate" to the tunnel down to the train. However if you walk 5 feet to the right of the "gate" you can walk right down to the tunnel!
laugh.gif

One side of LAUS is the train station and the other side is the bus station - with the tunnel in between. I just walk down the tunnel until I see the sign for the "Surfliner to SAN"!
biggrin.gif
I may wait for the crowd to start walking down the tunnel before I walk up the ramp to the train!
biggrin.gif
Yup, that is exactly what the kindergarten walk is.

At one time, years ago they had Doors A - H I belive it was all lined up to form a solid wall. Now that you must access the tunnel for Metrolink, and MTA Red, Purple, and Gold Lines, they have to open up the access.

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Yup, that is exactly what the kindergarten walk is.

At one time, years ago they had Doors A - H I belive it was all lined up to form a solid wall. Now that you must access the tunnel for Metrolink, and MTA Red, Purple, and Gold Lines, they have to open up the access.
That must have been earlier than 1990, that is about when the Red Line opened.

To be specific, in LAUS there's an arch with gates C and D marked that's near the tunnel to the tracks. The departure board only gives C or D as the departure track. At boarding time, an attendant opens the rope at the gate and announces which track the train will be leaving from. Everyone lined up at the gate then troops down to the track.

So yes, if you know or can figure out where the train is leaving from, you can just go directly there. They don't actually check you in at the gate.

thanks for your input.
In that case, in LA, they have a special waiting area where a Redcap will take you by cart to both your trains. They will get you down there before the main group.
Yup, if you require redcap assistance just sit down in the designated redcap area (the area in front of the Subway) and you should be set. They will get you to the train in good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back