Cheap Roomettes on 97 in Jan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diamond97

It looks like Amtrak has reduced Roomette prices on the Silver Meteor to "Low Bucket" prices for most of the month of January.  This happened after we all bought our passage between Northeast Corridor points and Florida.

It looks like Amtrak has reduced Roomette prices on the Silver Meteor to "Low Bucket" prices for most of the month of January.  This happened after we all bought our passage between Northeast Corridor points and Florida.
If you haven't yet called Amtrak to modify your reservation to take advantage of the lower fares, so do ASAP!

As of when I booked a January round trip on the Meteor a week or so ago, the low prices are in both directions after Jan 6 or so.  Also, they're within $20 (+ or -) of the diner-less Silver Star.  Based on getting roomette #4 in both directions (in the 12 car southbound, 10 car northbound), there's significant number of vacancies to be filled.  Maybe they should have a 'flash sale' on those trains only?

Thank you for the heads up.  I checked my fare on train 97 for January that I booked in November.  The fare has since gone down and I have modified my reservation to get to lower fare.  Thanks again.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the heads up.  I checked my fare on train 97 for January that I booked in November.  The fare has since gone down and I have modified my reservation to get to lower fare.  Thanks again.  :)
Did you get the fare back as an e-voucher or as cash?

Did you get the fare back as an e-voucher or as cash?
I received the option of a voucher or refund to credit card.  I opted for a refund to my credit card (since it can use a refund right now).

I called the Select Executive phone number and reached an agent in Philadelphia.  Initially she changed my room to another room (which was OK, but not as good as my first room), after my original room was back in inventory, she switched my reservation back to my initial room.  She apparently knew what she was doing.  It was a win-win-win-win for me.  :)

Huh. I thought you have to get the price difference back as a voucher if you don’t want to pay the 25% fee. Interesting...
It may depend on the agent?  Frankly, I go with the flow because although I have read the refund policy many times, I am not quite sure how it is applied in every specific circumstance to every passenger (with different status) by every agent (in different departments).

It should be noted that the fare I ended up paying on 97 is only $30 more than the fare on 91 for that same day.  My northbound trip is on 92 because 98 is "sold out" the day on which I want to travel, most likely due to safety patrol train.

I called the Select Executive phone number and reached an agent in Philadelphia.  Initially she changed my room to another room (which was OK, but not as good as my first room), after my original room was back in inventory, she switched my reservation back to my initial room.  She apparently knew what she was doing.  It was a win-win-win-win for me.  :)
I'm amazed you found an agent that knew all the tricks of the trade!  Congratulations are in order!

I'm lucky if I can find an agent that can book roomette 14 for me when I'm on a Superliner.  Usually they struggle and struggle, for what some agents can do in less than a minute.  Others tell me it can't be done so I call back later.  Just today, I had to call to modify a trip for this evening to a 2 hr later shuttle train as it failed to work online both with laptop and cell phone.  The agent had a hard time, too.  All that screwing around for a lousy $3.50 ticket SPG-WNL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back