Cheap, clean hotels near Chicago Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazzman

Train Attendant
Can anybody give recommendations for a one-night stay in hotels around Chicago's Union Station? This is for a procrastinating friend who will take the Wolverine from Ann Arbor > Chicago and then back the next day. I've already checked the vacancies at the Chicago Hostel and the single rooms are booked up for the 16th of July. I've read some negative comments on several "good" hotel web sites - you know, filthy bathrooms, bed bugs, etc. I know you have to take your chances with conditions never perfect all the time. But a few first hand recommends would help - maybe. Thanks.

The HI hostel in the loop is actually quite good. I stayed in their shared accommodations. Everything was clean and the wifi worked great. Just take some shower shoes because the mats they have in the showers are fairly uncomfortable. If they're booked, I'm not sure what else is available that is nearby (I have stayed in suburban hotels and taken Metra into town before too).

Don't stay in the HI hostel! Uncomfortable, smelly, poor hotel! That's why I had trouble finding another hotel in CHI for this year. The cheapest three-star was $110. Cannot find anything cheaper despite extensive searching. I had to book at a suburb with Priceline bidding, but ended up in a hotel with poor reviews!

Don't stay in the HI hostel! Uncomfortable, smelly, poor hotel! That's why I had trouble finding another hotel in CHI for this year. The cheapest three-star was $110. Cannot find anything cheaper despite extensive searching. I had to book at a suburb with Priceline bidding, but ended up in a hotel with poor reviews!
Wow, could not have more diverging opinions. Now, I stayed in the shared rooms at the hostel, so maybe the individual rooms are junk.

Wow, could not have more diverging opinions. Now, I stayed in the shared rooms at the hostel, so maybe the individual rooms are junk.
Well, so far the score is 1 to 1 - for and against - for the hostel, cancelling each other out. Yikes! This could get bloody!

I stayed at the Travelodge on Harrison on a short overnight trip. It was Ok - certainly nothing special. I thought the rooms were reasonably clean, though not exactly modern. The bed was comfortable, the water was hot and it was relatively cheap. I don't recall what I paid, but I am pretty sure it was under $110.00.

I would figure that the Chicago Hostel is pretty decent as it's usually full & you have to book well in advanced. That being said I stayed in a number of hostels across Europe and all in all an HI Hostel is going to be kept to a fairly decent standard, if they don't they'll loose their HI accreditation.

One thing to remember is that a Hostel is not a Hotel, they are designed to cater to the single (or pair of) traveler(s) who are trying to do things cheep & will be staying in the dorm rooms; the single occupant rooms are sort of an added bonus. I stayed in some hostels in Europe which didn't even offer single or double rooms, only large dorms. Most poor reviews about hostels I read are from people who go expecting it to be a Hotel.

Your probably not going to find a cheap hotel near CUS. However you can get around Chicago quite easily on the L or Metra, and so staying at an Hotel out by one of the Airports wouldn't be that bad of a place to get out to. Both major airports would have hotels near them catering to the 1 day passenger & are reachable on the L. (if I recall it takes about an hour to get out to O'Hare on the Blue line, not sure about Midway, as I've never done the L to it, but I would imagine it to be less). There would also be cheaper hotels near the University Campuses & Sporting Arenas, again which are easily accessible on the L.

peter

Well, if suburban options are on the table (the OP wanted something close to CUS), then Metra to Joliet or Arlington Heights is an option, there are some renovated Motel 6's for about 35$. The renovated Motels 6's are actually quite decent with flat screen tvs and nice bathrooms.

Well, I've been to Chicago a lot frequently, so I figured I'd chime in. As far as cheap, clean hotels near Union Station, they really don't exist generally. I did manage to score a room at the Allerton Hotel (on Michigan Ave - quick bus ride from CUS) on hotels.com for $93/night back in April, but from what I can tell that was a rare occurrence. You could try doing name-your-own price on Priceline, though you wouldn't know the name of the place until after you've booked (though you can specify area/star level - I'd select the Loop and Michigan Ave/Magnificent Mile area). You could opt to go further out and get something a bit cheaper that is close to the L (which you could take from near Union Station) - perhaps by one of the airports or one of the inner suburbs like Evanston. Places near Metra in more outer suburbs is also an option, though the frequency of some Metra lines can be sparse or in some cases nonexistent outside of weekday commute hours.

As for hostels, there are some good options there, though it's obviously going to be barebones than a hotel (and may involve shared rooms, if you go that route). I've stayed at the HI hostel (at Congress/Wabash) probably 4 times in the last 3 months or so, and my experience has been pretty good. I did do a shared room every time, so can't speak for the private rooms - though I would recommend the rooms with ensuite bathrooms if that's an option (though it isn't strictly necessary). Another hostel that is further from Union Station, but still within the city proper (and accessible by transit) is the Chicago Getaway Hostel. Stayed there on my last overnight trip to Chicago - a tad older (and somewhat louder) crowd than the HI hostel, but also a good place to stay. Also stayed in a shared room there as well, though I do believe they have private rooms as well. You just have to do what you are comfortable with - I was fine with the shared rooms (they do offer both single-gender and mixed, so you can pick what you're most comfortable with), though I know that isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Well, I did find a hotel for my procrastinating friend and he booked it and seems happy about it. Not cheap - about $150 per night. But it's in the Loop and a few blocks from the CUS. I'll refrain from naming the hotel for now lest someone here is prompted to post something discouraging about it. I'll wait for his take on his stay there and post it here in a few weeks when I return to Detroit from LA on the SWC. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions which will help in the future.

Well, I did find a hotel for my procrastinating friend and he booked it and seems happy about it. Not cheap - about $150 per night. But it's in the Loop and a few blocks from the CUS. I'll refrain from naming the hotel for now lest someone here is prompted to post something discouraging about it. I'll wait for his take on his stay there and post it here in a few weeks when I return to Detroit from LA on the SWC. Thanks all for your comments and suggestions which will help in the future.
Not procrastinating probably would not have helped this time. Weeknight rates downtown make $150 look like a bargain. If the hotel has a liberal cancellation policy, and your friend a smartphone have them download "Hotel Tonight". It provides day of arrival discount rooms in major cities including Chicago. Tonight the Dana, James, and Essex Inn are available under $150.

Obviously don't cancel what you have until you find something better. I also find the inconvenice of commuting worth the savings of an airport hotel, in Chicago anyway.

Sometimes the Red Roof Inn Magnificent Mile runs specials. Last year for spring break, my wife, daughter and I took Amtrak from MSP to CHI. We stayed at the Red Roof Inn for 4 nights at $49 a night. Room was clean and convenient to attractions. A real bargain. Used CTA as transportation.

I see the current price for Red Roof Inn Magnificent Mile is $129. However if you shopped around for a discount, you might be able to find something.

Just curious....anyone know where the Amtrak out-of-town crews stay at? Often, they are not far and are reasonable and decent. Sometimes you might even be able to get an 'Amtrak rate' just for the asking....

Can anybody give recommendations for a one-night stay in hotels around Chicago's Union Station?

I stayed at the University Center on State St last year for an event. While it is a student residence during the school year, it does have vacant rooms during the summer. You might want to check it out.

Not procrastinating probably would not have helped this time. Weeknight rates downtown make $150 look like a bargain. If the hotel has a liberal cancellation policy, and your friend a smartphone have them download "Hotel Tonight". It provides day of arrival discount rooms in major cities including Chicago. Tonight the Dana, James, and Essex Inn are available under $150.

Obviously don't cancel what you have until you find something better. I also find the inconvenice of commuting worth the savings of an airport hotel, in Chicago anyway.
We stayed at the Essex Inn on our last trip.

Great little independently owned bistro off of the lobby - Brasserie by LM

Nice, Euro modern style rooms and the best part .....

the best pool of any hotel I've ever stayed at and right off of the pool, a wonderful rooftop garden deck area overlooking Grant Park.

essexinnpool.jpg

essexinnrooftopgarden.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've stayed in the Holiday Inn on Harrison St., which I believe is the closest hotel to Union Station. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than most of the hotels in the Loop; for me the location was decisive, as it was actually within walking distance of Union Station.

Hi,

I just want to add my few cents in favour (favor?) of the HI Hostel in Chicago. I have stayed there several times, and met other happy folk from all over the world. It is not a hotel. I do not find it "smelly"... Where else can you sleep, 2 minutes walk from the "EL", in a central Chicago location for about $35 a night, with wi-fi, library, guided tours, and a free breakfast included?

It won't suit everyone, but I for one am very gratefull for the hostel network!

Ed :cool:

VIEW THE CHICAGO HOSTEL WEBSITE

Totally agree Ed! It's my favorite (Favourite? :lol: )Hostel in the US, as you said, all things considered, it can't be beat! (well, since I live in Austin I dont stay there but the one in Austin is pretty Sweet too! :wub: )One of our members Al from Lincoln, Neb., turned us on to this Jewel and maybe he did too good a job, it seems to stay full most of the time so as we say about Amtrak, Book Early to get the Room! ^_^

I first experienced a Hostel stay in Seattle last summer at City Hostel and really enjoyed the place and the people. Now if the Hostel option is available I will look into it, especially if I can get a private room.

Can anybody give recommendations for a one-night stay in hotels around Chicago's Union Station? This is for a procrastinating friend who will take the Wolverine from Ann Arbor > Chicago and then back the next day. I've already checked the vacancies at the Chicago Hostel and the single rooms are booked up for the 16th of July. I've read some negative comments on several "good" hotel web sites - you know, filthy bathrooms, bed bugs, etc. I know you have to take your chances with conditions never perfect all the time. But a few first hand recommends would help - maybe. Thanks.
This is where my buddy finally stayed and his short review:

Central Loop Hotel

111 West Adams Street

Chicago, IL 60603

Just a few blocks from Union Station. He walked.

Room very comfortable, very clean, well stocked with pillows and blankets. Air conditioning very good, even with 100+ real-feel temps, nice big flat-screen TV, good books to read. Free chilled water at elevators. Quiet most of the time, but unusual room entrances proved a bit noisy when neighbors coming or going. Would stay again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back