Chase Amtrak Card and Apple Pay

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike S.

Service Attendant
For some reason, Chase is not supporting Apple Pay with their Mastercards, only Visa. Other banks with Mastercard support Apple Pay. I've called Chase and logged in some comments. The truth is that I'm using my Apple Pay cards more and more now.

Thoughts? Anyone else interested in calling to drum up support?

Mike S.

Probably because Chase is partnered with Softcard (formerly ISIS, becoming Google) for mobile payment systems. Google recently bought Softcard, so things might change then, but I doubt it.

Peter

Probably because Chase is partnered with Softcard (formerly ISIS, becoming Google) for mobile payment systems. Google recently bought Softcard, so things might change then, but I doubt it.

Peter
Well, if Chase is not going to work with Apple Pay, they will have one less customer, both for their credit cards and their bank :) I have already mentioned this to my Chase bank contact, who regularly keeps in touch with me considering the amount of business I do with them I suppose.

Chase does work with Apple Pay, I use my Sapphire Preferred Visa with it all the time.

It's just the Mastercards that aren't supported now, and that's likely due to a transition to Visa for all of their cards.

Ok so I did a little research (I already knew Chase was an Softcard partner). It turns out that for ApplePay the brand specific cards (so rewards cards) the partnership has to be from the brand, not the bank. Regular Chase cards & some branded cards already work with ApplePay. If you want AGR to work with ApplePay, you need to talk to AGR.

Alternatively you can use any Credit/Debit card with Google Wallet (of course you need an Android device), no need to wait for banks to sign up with them. The rest of the purchasing process is essentially the same (Apple you use your fingerprint, Google you punch in a 4-digit pin).

peter

Ok so I did a little research (I already knew Chase was an Softcard partner). It turns out that for ApplePay the brand specific cards (so rewards cards) the partnership has to be from the brand, not the bank. Regular Chase cards & some branded cards already work with ApplePay. If you want AGR to work with ApplePay, you need to talk to AGR.

Alternatively you can use any Credit/Debit card with Google Wallet (of course you need an Android device), no need to wait for banks to sign up with them. The rest of the purchasing process is essentially the same (Apple you use your fingerprint, Google you punch in a 4-digit pin).

peter
For me having to use 4 digit PIN each time is a significant turnoff. So I would not be using Google wallet anytime soon. There is a big difference between just holding the device in a specific way, and remembering and entering PINs each time.
I know I can use ApplePay with some Chase cards. I just wanted to let me bank guy know that it would not be acceptable to me for Chase to do something like what CVS is doing. He has assured me that Chase has no plan to go that route.

Given that my use of Amtrak is likely to go down exponentially ( I will be lucky to make Select this year), I am also finding myself using the AGR Card less and less, partly because of no ApplePay too. Oh well.

I find that overall Amex is the best of the lot, with Visa trying to catch up. That is the current state. Of course things could change over time.

I have never had anything to do with Costco or Amex in the context of Costco, having never ever set foot in a costco or visited their web site. All my interaction with Amex has been either directly with Amex (Platinum Card with chip), or via the Hilton Honors Gold Amex card, or the Corporate Amex Card provided to me by my employer. I don't really expect any of that to change as a result of whatever Costco does with Citi or Visa.

Incidentally I have not had much complaints about the Chase Presidential Plus Mastercard from United. This is a grandfathered card with grandfathered benefits that came from Continental and is still maintained by United. You cannot get one these cards anymore.

I have also had good results with the Platinum Amex that is our company credit card, and the gold Amex that is my personal card. Both now have chips, and both worked well in Canada during my last trip. I don't have a Costco Amex either.

Of course, all banks are evil :D but better the devil you know. I'm reminded of the immortal Cheryl Wheeler song "We're the bank, we're not your friend."

My biggest issue with Apple Pay is the lack of merchant acceptance. The banks seem enthusiastic about it because, at least in theory, it reduces fraud. They are happy to pay 0.15% to Apple for that benefit. It also keeps the credit card system intact which keeps them collecting a fee for each and every transaction. However, I have been able to use Apple Pay about five times in six months. None of our usual merchants take it. So, while I really like it, it just is not that useful to me at the moment.

One cool thing I was able to do on a recent trip was to pay a restaurant check using Apple Pay through the Open Table app. We made our dinner reservation on Open Table as usual. Once in the restaurant and seated, the app recognized us being there and alerted us and our server that we had the capability to pay through the app. We confirmed that with our server, and from that point forward we could see our bill in the app as items were ordered. When finished, we brought up the final tab in the app, added an appropriate tip, and paid using Apple Pay. The server was notified that we had paid-in-full, and a copy of the bill including tip was sent to us by email. Very sleek, and very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty cool.

We grocery shop at Wegmans, and I'll eat at McDonalds and Subway so it gets used fairly frequently.

Also, the Wawa around the corner has gas pumps that take it, so that's solidified its place as my go to gas station.

Yes, I have actually changed the set of places that get my business based on whether they accept Apple Pay or not. Fortunately many of the places that I already went to accept Apple Pay, so it was not that big a change.

I think it has more to do with who accepts NFC payment at all more than whether they accept Apple Pay or not as far as I can tell. I have not come across too many places that accept NFC payment and selectively block just Apple Pay. OTOH CVS stopped accepting any NFC payment just so that they don't have to accept Apple Pay.... go figure!

In general, as some of us have noticed, US is a relatively backward country when it comes to using electronic payments in a secure fashion, ..., still trying to get upto Chip and PIN on credit cards for example.

If Apple Pay came with higher prices I'd be fine with it. Let the Apple cult pay for it rather than passing along the Apple tax to everyone. Reminds me of the iBooks conspiracy.

Yup, cash payment should always be cheaper than anything else. Why just pick on Apple? ;) Of course never mind that it actually costs the economy more to push cash around than bits of payment information around. But that is a cost traditionally borne by the commons anyway, and does not appear as a line item on any accounting, so it does not exist. ;)

Looks like the world is going to force me to buy an smartphone. But for those who cannot afford the high tech world, a very disappointing situation for society. Life goes on I guess.. :unsure:

There's nothing that says you can't keep on using cash or a card.
NFC transactions are uncommon enough that you aren't going to have to get an NFC-capable smartphone in your lifetime. The majority of machines also accept regular Credit & Debit cards, and if they don't the buiz usually has an card machine (or one of those really old impress-roller machines that you can pay with.

The force which you will experience (and within the next year or so) is the switch to EMV cards (chip & pin) rather then the current magnetic strip cards. But it will just be a new card that your bank will ship to you (probably when your current one expires)

peter

Yes, they're one of the ringleaders of the doomed to fail CurrenC fiasco. They're trying desperately to cut out having to pay credit card fees.

Just makes it even easier for me to not shop there.

Latest posts

Back