Changing tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am due to arrive in to Chicago from the UK at 10:30am on Saturday 10th Sept and ideally want to get the 3pm SWC to LA that day but obviously with potential delays/customs etc. I may well end up on the one the next day instead. I noticed there is no change fee on the Saver tickets so I just wondered how changing tickets works? Would it be better to get a ticket for the 11th September (since that is the most likely) and then just change to the 10th (available seat permitting) at Union Station if i make it on time?

Thanks,

Arran

If you feel confident that your plane will arive Chicago at 10:30 AM, then you should be through Customs by noon and at Chicago Union Station by 1:30 PM, giving you plenty of time to catch a train at 3:00 PM.

Amtrak does not charge a change fee. If you rebook, make sure the Amtrak agent does it through an eVoucher and not by refunding on a credit card, as you will get 100% of your ticket value.

With that said, Amtrak does practice yield management and a ticket for the next day very well may be more expensive than your current ticket now. The good news is 100% of the value of the old ticket can be applied to the new one.

Also, if you miss it and haven't cancelled and rebooked, you will be treated as a no-show and your ticket cancelled. If you are in a sleeper, you will forfeit your entire fare in that case.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can easily change it via Amtrak.com, and it's a lot easier if you have an Amtrak account. Also, the fare could be different depending on when you try to do this.

You might need to call this in. Is your intention to see what happens with your flight, and then try to modify your reservation for the next day if there's too much of a delay? If that's the case, the Saver fare won't be available. If you're thinking about doing it now and the Saver fare is still available, you should be able to do that easily.

If your flight is completely FUBAR (I'm thinking something like a 6 hour delay), then you might have some real difficulty if you don't have any means to modify your reservation while stuck on a plane. A no show is completely cancelled without refund (after 2 hours I believe) unless you paid "flexible fare". A last minute change would also be at the prevailing fare. You might be able to estimate when you might get in if your departure from the UK is late and modify to the next day if you have internet access.

Amtrak does not charge a change fee. If you rebook, make sure the Amtrak agent does it through an eVoucher and not by refunding on a credit card, as you will get 100% of your ticket value.
The passenger doesn't have to completely rebook. It's possible to do a modification without any eVoucher involved. I've done it a few times before, and the reservation number stays the same.

Hi,

I am due to arrive in to Chicago from the UK at 10:30am on Saturday 10th Sept and ideally want to get the 3pm SWC to LA that day but obviously with potential delays/customs etc. I may well end up on the one the next day instead. I noticed there is no change fee on the Saver tickets so I just wondered how changing tickets works? Would it be better to get a ticket for the 11th September (since that is the most likely) and then just change to the 10th (available seat permitting) at Union Station if i make it on time?

Thanks,

Arran
You would cancel the ticket and be issued an e-voucher that can be used toward future travel. Or have reservations modify the reservation. You likely won't get the same fare for the next day. So likely an additional payment.....if there is space available the next day. Keep this in mind, If you don't show up and have not canceled or rebooked before the scheduled departure you will forfeit the amount and it can't be used for future travel. If you buy a ticket for the next day and show up on the 10th you can exchange the ticket from the 11th if there is space available. Likely you will be paying an additional amount for a higher fare.

Since you are arriving into O'Hare on an International Flight, I highly recommend that you spend the night in the Hostel International on Congress in downtown Chicago,( very reasonable and nice)then catch the Chief the next day!

This allows you to rest up from the flight, aclumate to the Time change and ensure that you don't miss your connection if delays occur! (very possible)

I'll also recommend staying the night in Chicago. It's a great city, and it will give you a chance to catch your breath after the flight from the UK and the six hour time shift. Then, after a nice hotel night, the next day you can head onto the Southwest Chief rested and ready to go.

I P/U passenger's from the UK and other foreign locations quite often and I have a hard time thinking you won't arrive in time to make the train. Unless the flight is delayed, then you will know ahead of time and can make adjustments.

I agree with others to stay in Chicago overnight, allows you a chance to take a little of the Amtrak set-up in . We are also from the UK and find Chicago one of the World's great cities, you wont have enough time there with just one day. Transport on the El, subway or bus is superb, the 'feel' of the city to an alien is great too. People are a bit direct but no harm meant in most cases, great place to visit.

Since you will be arriving a day before the fifteenth anniversary of 9-11, you may experience a greater amount of airport security action. I would not risk it, stay an extra night in Chicago.

https://www.amtrak.com/guide-to-fares

Saver Fares are the lowest available fares and include deeply discounted offers (14-day advance purchase, flash fares, web only). Saver Fares are non-refundable but can be canceled with the ticket value stored as credit in an eVoucher that can be used for future Amtrak travel.
• Non-refundable
• eVoucher available: Full value, no fees.
If you change your travel date by phone it is often mentioned using the phrase 'I want to modify my reservation' to change the date of your travel is helpful.

I think you will make it :) of course, having a day to spend in Chicago would be nice. You can even leave your bags for free in the Metropolitan Lounge and then tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back